I'm New!

This is a discussion on I'm New! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone! I've been snooping around these forums for the past couple days and I LOVE it! Back in '02 ...

I'm New!

Hey everyone! I've been snooping around these forums for the past couple days and I LOVE it! Back in '02 my dad needed a new car since his '89 Ford Tempo wasn't cutting it anymore. Man was that thing ugly. I was so excited and was determined to help him find a fast, affordable, and sexy car. I was 12 at the time and the moment I saw the '02 bugeye Subie, I knew that was the car he HAD to get. I looked for months and months and read review after review to try and convince my dad to buy one. Well, one Saturday he finally did it. We went and test drove a Midnight Blue '02 WRX and we both fell in love with the maneuverability, speed, and turbo of that beautiful beast. He bought it on the spot.

When I was 13, he started teaching me a little on how to drive a stick in the Subie. It took me a while to learn the gas/clutch movements, but eventually I was doing fairly well. I only got it up to 2nd gear considering I was driving in parking lots but it was still loads of fun. He works downtown and in '04 he decided he needed to sell it due to the fact that people were denting it, the steep hills he often had to stop on, and the problem of not being able to talk on his phone for longer than 1 minute while driving. I was sad.

I've loved cars all of my life and will be getting my first car this upcoming Summer. My dad gave me the green light on getting a WRX but said the only thing he was unsure of was the insurance. I can get a job to cover the insurance if need be, and regardless of the insurance price, my parents are paying for the gas.

Now that I have told you my life story lol, I need some opinions. I am looking at either an '02 or an '03 WRX. My dad is paying 10,500-11,500 for the car and I have to cover the rest if the price is higher.

I have a few questions:
    Basically, I want to know if there are any noticeable differences in terms of performance when comparing the '03 and '02 WRX. Also, I absolutely hate the stock wheels on the WRXs. What would a nice set of tires and wheels run me? (Preferably 17"-19" wheels) Will the size of the wheel effect performance? (Keep in mind I'm not looking at putting 24s on the thing ) Lastly, is there is anything vital I need to know when looking for one to buy?

Thanks so much! Corey.
    P.S. I'm 16 and am fully learning stick on an old Honda Civic
    Last edited by XtremeČ; 03-31-2007 at 10:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No warm welcome?

ill give you a warm welcome im 17 and just got a 07 tr. its pretty amazing and im sure your gonna have a blast with yours.
    '07 Blue Pearl WRX TR
    Stock Turbo guage and wrx spoiler

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fire.gif 
Views:	64 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	70945 Welcome! (I hope that's not too warm)

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Welcome to the club.
    Not much difference between the 02 and the 03. Wheels are really personal choice, shop around. Personally, I wouldn't go bigger then 17s. Wheel size (and weight) will affect performance.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeČ View Post
    No warm welcome?
    That may have something to do with the fact that you posted your greeting at 12:40am on a Sunday. There's not a lot of traffic here on Sunday mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedette View Post
    Here are some great reads as well (with pictures!):
    Everything you could want to know about Subarus and ClubWRX
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Bombay Drift View Post
    ill give you a warm welcome im 17 and just got a 07 tr. its pretty amazing and im sure your gonna have a blast with yours.
    How much did that run you? Is that your first car?

a new Tr for invoice will run yuou about 24000$ out the door. at least mine was with tax and licencing.

wheels are expensive.. VERY. Honestly i wouldnt expect you to be able to afford any new wheels on top of hte extra your going to have to pay for the car itself and insurance.

i'd advise against 19" wheels. those are big wheels.. espically on a WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #0284
    TwoThousandSeven WRX TR..

Quote Originally Posted by cepterone View Post
    a new Tr for invoice will run yuou about 24000$ out the door. at least mine was with tax and licencing.

wheels are expensive.. VERY. Honestly i wouldnt expect you to be able to afford any new wheels on top of hte extra your going to have to pay for the car itself and insurance.

i'd advise against 19" wheels. those are big wheels.. espically on a WRX
    So what about an '06 TR?

Is there a possibility of getting one for under $20,000 that is used?

welcome to the forum...

hopefully you can find the car you are looking for!!

cost my parents about 24 grand, and yea its my first car lol
    '07 Blue Pearl WRX TR
    Stock Turbo guage and wrx spoiler

Welcome to the Club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING