Potential WRX buyer in need of "the scoop"

This is a discussion on Potential WRX buyer in need of "the scoop" within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm considering buying a WRX and had a couple of questions for all you WRX loyalists. I recently took a ...

Question Potential WRX buyer in need of "the scoop"

I'm considering buying a WRX and had a couple of questions for all you WRX loyalists. I recently took a test drive and instantly fell in love with the power under the hood. What a fun ride!

Here we go...
    - Why did you buy your WRX over another car? Did you consider buying another kind of car when you were shopping for one? Which one(s)?
    - What features were/are most important to you?
    - What do you think now that you own a WRX? Does it meet/exceed your expectations? How?
    - When/how did you first become interested in the WRX?

Thanks much! I appreciate anything you can share with me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by TheJ; 03-31-2007 at 09:57 AM.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Quote Originally Posted by calijayne View Post
    I'm considering buying a WRX and had a couple of questions for all you WRX loyalists. I recently took a test drive and instantly fell in love with the power under the hood. What a fun ride!

Here we go...
    - Why did you buy your WRX over another car? Did you consider buying another kind of car when you were shopping for one? Which one(s)?
    - What do you think now that you own a WRX? Does it meet/exceed your expectations? How?

- I wanted a WRX since the first showroom models showed up in summer '01. I was in my 2nd year of college and started saving. I wasnt able to buy one until 3 years later. I knew nothing about cars, but when I sat in the loaded showroom model while my friend was buying a cavalier (Roberts Automall, Downingtown PA), I knew I wanted one. At the time, there wasnt anything out that matched the styling or the performance for under 25k. When the WRX first hit in summer/fall '01 it was like the next big thing and the standard WRX was a major headturner once the honda guys knew what they could do in just stock form. Stock WRXs were blowing away bolt on civic SIs and giving Integra Type Rs a run for their money. In my area I remember the Civic SI and the Type R being like the coveted sport compact back in '00-'01. I mean...Integra Type Rs, if you could find one, were like 25k back then. And here comes a car that MSRP was less than the R and had AWD, Turbo, more displacement and a motor making almost 85 more ft/lbs of torque than the Type R. Back then they were advertising the WRX could hit 0-60 in 5.4 seconds-- this is a $24,000 car we are talking about. It was a really fun time to remember and im sure a lot of people on here remember what it was like when the WRX first hit the states.

Now, there are lots of cars that can compete with the WRX as far as speed and modding capability AND price. So the choice to buy a WRX would have to be a lot harder if you were buying today.

- Things that stood out for me: quick 0-60, Turbo (at the time I knew nothing about turbo but that it was synonymous with FAST), AWD safety and traction, and head turning looks were a big factor for me I have to admit. Features now that still attract me to it, moddability- the VAST amount of parts, peformance and cosmetic, for this car make it so fun to play with. Notariety, the car still gets respect even if it isnt the fastest thing on the road anymore. Its still a hell of a fun car to drive. I enjoy the looks, even though many laymen think its ugly-- I think its unique.

- The WRX meets my expectations but isnt perfect. Drawbacks I have to admit are-- cruddy stock stereo, BAD PAINT- if you are OCD about your car like I am its very stressful (the car dents like a soda can and you can scratch your paint just by picking off tar with your fingernail), less than amazing MPG (the way I drive it), interior rattles. Sometimes I have to admit, I would love to be able to do a smokey burnout just for fun-- but with the AWD and the contraversial transmission...most of us dont have the power and wouldnt try it if we did.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

I owned my 350Z and a 2002 Protege which was turbocharged, but blew the engine and I sold the turbo kit to pay for a new engine and went back to stock. The plan was to drive the Z on weekends and the occasional nice day, and use the protege as my daily driver. 4 months went by and I never drove the Protege at all. I traded in the Mazda and bought my WRX to keep miles off the Z. I had friends who owned them, I knew they were good for modding, but I planned to leave it stock. Mainly I wanted the WRX for it's turbo and AWD.

AWD and Turbo.

I love this car, I think I'll eventually end up picking up an STI or a legacy because of the experience I've had with this car. In stock trim, it was fun - it had spunk. Now, catless with a vf34, it's alot of fun to drive. Downshifting to 3rd gear at 50mph puts me at 3500rpm where the car can go from vac/boost in a moment. I love my commute. I drive 33 miles each way, and it can take anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes depending on traffic and how much I speed.

I've been a gamer for a long time, and rally type racing games usually feature the Impreza, I had also used it in GT and a few other games. Honestly, I don't see how anyone could not be interested in the WRX, there is alot of news coverage and product placement in media.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Here we go...
    At the time of purchasing my wrx 3 years ago I was also considering the following:

1) 2002/2003 Nissan maxima 6speed.

2) 2002 RSX-S

3) Acura CL-S

4) VW GTi 1.8T

5) Integra Type-R

I looked at all of the above with consideration. The two that really challenged my wrx buying decision were the Maxima and CL-S though.
    I knew the wrx didn't have much to offer in the luxury department and I wanted both luxury and speed. The fact that both were FWD and did not handle all that well kinda killed it for me. They were both great to drive though.
    RSX-S had not torque and tranny issues, GTI was unreliable, and Type-R's get stolen by the hour. The torque, smooth tranny, and modability of the Maxima was tempting, but it handled like crap and spun the tires too much.

In 2002 the wrx didn't have many options of features. It was a bare bones car for the most part and I knew what I was getting with my purchase. I would have liked options like the WRX Limited has (climate control, sunroof, leather, etc..) but this was not available.
    My car had a short-shifter, extended arm rest, carbon fiber-fake interior details, and upgraded sound system. I am extremely happy with all of the option.

My relationship with my wrx is a love/hate. Sometimes I love the car and praise the decision for buying it, other times I want to trade it in that day. The problem is that the wrx aged very fast. Not much has changed, and the market segment is exists in has BOOMED with new competition that offer things over the wrx for similar pricing.

I love the AWD, modability, and community.

I hate the lack of lowend power, turbo lag, crappy shifting, fear of tranny breaking, subaru customer service, and the interior rattles.

All in all, it was a GREAT car when I first got it. But now, it has aged. Cars like the MS3 or GTi cost just as much if not cheaper and mod just as well, handle considerably better, have MUCH nicer interiors and are more fun to drive. The one thing (and a big thing at that) which Subaru seems to always keep over the competition is the AWD though... And in Chicago, that can be invaluable.

I knew of the JDM wrx for a while and when I heard it was coming here I was kinda "iffy" on it. Then when I saw the bugeye and heard it with an aftermarket exhaust and saw what the AWD could do I knew I had to have one.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Here we go...
    I have been a WRX owner for 2 weeks, so a lot of this is still fresh in my mind. However, this is the second time I shopped WRX's, the first in 2002, when I decided on a Jeep Wrangler instead.

-Why did you buy your WRX over another car? Did you consider buying another kind of car when you were shopping for one? Which one(s)?
    Back in 02, I chose the Jeep. Summer and winter ability have always been high on my list. In 2002, I had owned a couple Ford Probes, and was ready for a change from the sport compact/performance area of cars. Went with the Jeep as something different. Enjoyed it.

Now, I decided I wanted to get back into a sporty, fun car. I looked at a wide variety of cars. Test drove a Saturn Ion Redline, Honda Civic Si, Pontiac GTO, Ford Mustang GT, Pontiac G6, Pontiac Solstice, Toyota FJ Cruiser, as well as a few others that were not memorable at all.

I chose the WRX because it felt like the most complete package, and was still a practical daily driver that would be good in a snowy Buffalo winter. By complete package, what I mean is that it was quick and handled terrifically, had very good control feel, etc. The Mustang/GTO are pure straight line beasts. Overall they do drive well and handle well, but they are not tossable as they are big and heavy, and are really meant to rocket around. The WRX is a more tossable, communicative, and fun car to drive in a variety of situations. It's hard to explain, but it just felt right after driving a lot of cars.

Actually, what was most important was something I felt was very fun to drive. I did get the WRX limited, with the heated leather seats, sunroof, etc etc. I was treating myself and went for the luxury stuff. However, thats not what attracted me. It was the AWD, the powertrain, the handling, and the fun to drive aspect. The gadgets are just icing.

So far I have no complaints. I only have 600 miles on it, so it is very early. However, it has a very good highway ride for a performance car, handles the curves well, and has adequate power. I am yet to top 4000 RPM per the breakin procedures, so I really have not had a chance to open it up (although I was able to open up the dealer demo which they gave me for a few hours by myself before I bought). Anyway, no buyers remorse after 2 weeks so far. I do not see myself developing it either. This is car is loads of fun!

As I mentioned, I seriously considered the first bugeye WRX back in 2002, when I went with a Jeep instead. At the time, I decided I wanted a convertable, and the extra ground clearance over the sportiness, after having owned a line of sporty cars. No regrets on that purchase either. I enjoyed the Jeep. However, I have also maintained a respect and desire for the WRX, and now that it was time for another purchase, I gave it a second look and picked it from the pack.

My suggestion. Start test driving early someday, and drive your top contenders. Take out a WRX back to back with a few different cars you think you will like, and compare them. Chances are, one will really stand out as the car you like the best. When test driving cars individually, without driving different one's back to back, it is easy to develop and instant lust for a car, buy it, then develop remorse when you realize your lust wasn't actual love. If you do a proper comparison, drive many cars back to back (or at least within a very short time period) and decide which fits your desires, tastes, and needs the most from the pack, you cannot go wrong!

Good luck!

Here we go...

- When it came down to buy a new car, it came down to a WRX or a Mazdaspeed 6. The Speed6 just seemed a little too big, and a lot of the technology in the car (new engine, new 'AWD' system, etc..) was first generation, so I was a little hesitant. Most importantly, I was buying a new car with intentions to mod it and to learn more about cars in general.

- Reasons I chose the WRX

• Huge after market support - there is an advantage to a car sharing similar underpinnings from 2002
    • Huge and friendly enthusiast base in the tri-state region (PA/NJ/DE)
    • The boxer rumble

- Can't say much regarding the features - I guess AWD + Turbo was the only thing on my mind. After one year and 30000 miles, the car has encountered no real issues whatsoever *knock on wood*. I didn't really care for features so I'm totally fine with the simple interior, my only requirements was a CD player and A/C. This purchase was more emotional than it was rational, but I lucked out with its practicality.

- The car has definitely exceeded my expectations. I never thought I could get so excited driving a car. Last weekend I went on a 400 mile road trip just for the hell of it. While I can only speak for myself, it really makes you want to take the long way wherever you go.

- I became interested in WRX's through several places. My roommates and I in college followed Rallying and a buddy of mine owned a MY04. But I think hearing one with a loud exhaust in a restaurant parking lot late one night back at college really sealed the deal
    2006 WRB WRX