Which advice is correct?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Which advice is correct? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am thinking about purchasing a 2005-06 STi and have a couple simple questions for the WRX contingency. (1) Do ...

Which advice is correct?

I am thinking about purchasing a 2005-06 STi and have a couple simple questions for the WRX contingency.
    (1) Do stock STi's come with a BOV?
    (2) Assuming they don't, if I find one with a BOV at the dealership or with a private seller, is that a bad option to have.
    (3) I have heard that the STi engine shouldnt have a BOV and that if it does, it will probably be running rich at the shifts.
    (4) If a BOV is a fine option to have installed or upgraded, is it bad that I have found a car that has a loud and large one?
    (5) And finally, and I may take some sh!t for this but...how hard is it to remove the spolier and replace it with a limited spoiler or fix up to look spotless without one at all? If I was close to closing a deal, would any dealership actually remove one for me, or are we talking about major body work?

Thanks guys, I look forward to being properly educated.

Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing a 2005-06 STi and have a couple simple questions for the WRX contingency.
    (2) Assuming they don't, if I find one with a BOV at the dealership or with a private seller, is that a bad option to have.
    (3) I have heard that the STi engine shouldnt have a BOV and that if it does, it will probably be running rich at the shifts.
    (4) If a BOV is a fine option to have installed or upgraded, is it bad that I have found a car that has a loud and large one?
    (5) And finally, and I may take some sh!t for this but...how hard is it to remove the spolier and replace it with a limited spoiler or fix up to look spotless without one at all? If I was close to closing a deal, would any dealership actually remove one for me, or are we talking about major body work?

Mark
    1) No it has a BPV which is basically a BOV that vents back into the intake instead of the atmosphere.
    2) It's probably a sign the owner didn't know what they were doing and may have made bigger more dangerous mods.
    3) Basically yes
    4) Probably not a good sign. Be careful with buying a modded car in general.
    5) theres a bunch of holes in the trunk where the spoiler is mounted. Dealer will probably charge you your best bet is to trade with someone who has a plain (non-spoiler) WRX trunk and then buy and instal a sti-limited spoiler.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX

Mark

Stock Stis come with a BPV which has no sound and lets your car actually run. BOV are very bad. Instead of removing your spoiler it is often easier to swap trunks with someone who has either no spoiler and install a limited, or swap with a trunk that has a limited spoiler (good luck).

Stock sti wing held on with Muy bolts. Just pop trunk and look.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

1.) STi' comes with a By-Pass Valve. Makes a slight "waapsh" sound, but not too bad. Better for the car.
    2.) You can find a BPV at a dealership if yours broke or something....
    3.) Subarus in general don't need BOV's. Yes, it WILL make you run rich between shifts, you'll have a crappy idle.
    4.) The only time you'll find a BOV on a car that needs it is if it's been modified and pushing 22+ psi on the turbo.
    5.)I read somewhere that the STi has 17 screws holding the wing down...it would be much easier just to do a trunk swap with a WRX owner.

EDIT: Damn. You two beat me by five freaking minutes. Hahah
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with our resident Ferrari fan and 06wrx4me. I'd also like to add that a dealer that will sell you a car with a BOV could be shady, sloppy, or both. It's not legal for a dealer to sell a vehicle that is not emissions legal. For the same reason, never accept a car from a dealer with a CEL on or other modifications that you yourself could not legally do. A dealer should know all this and should sell you a car that is smog legal.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I agree with our resident Ferrari fan and 06wrx4me. I'd also like to add that a dealer that will sell you a car with a BOV could be shady, sloppy, or both. It's not legal for a dealer to sell a vehicle that is not emissions legal. For the same reason, never accept a car from a dealer with a CEL on or other modifications that you yourself could not legally do. A dealer should know all this and should sell you a car that is smog legal.
    I would agree with this as well. The car you describe is not a car I would consider buying. With some more research (you have found a great place for this) and looking for more candidates you will find the STi for you. Try to find one that is all stock or lightly modified. Keep us posted.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Hello and welcome to the club Mark!

I would agree with this as well. The car you describe is not a car I would consider buying. With some more research (you have found a great place for this) and looking for more candidates you will find the STi for you. Try to find one that is all stock or lightly modified. Keep us posted.
    That is my plan. I would really like one without many modifications.
    After reading your responses, I realize that I may be confused as to the difference between a BOV and the BPV. The first STi I drove had a slight whimpashhh sound. The second had a very loud whimpassshh sound after shifts. How can I tell that I have the proper BPV and not some aftermarket BOV? Thanks for the welcome guys. I am going to take my time and find the right one for me. I am pretty sure I am going to pass on the smelly one with ground fx I drove today

How can I tell that I have the proper BPV and not some aftermarket BOV?
    the stock unit is round and goldish in color. If it is polished, has a logo on it or a trumpet looking opening its aftermarket.

Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

How much do you like attention?

The bpv that comes stock just passes the air back into the intake. A bov vents to the atmosphere. Buy a non modified car and do the mods that you want to do. I have a bov on mine and have experienced no idle issues and just passed emissions with flying colors. I live in Md and all they do is plug into your obdII. Wrx's are built to be modified. Mine is a daily driver with 56,000 miles on it. I drag race regularly. Still on stock tranny and clutch. Putting 292 horsepower to the wheels. Just make sure when you have mods done you have it tuned at a reputable place. An aftermarket reflash of your computer will help your car more than any other mod. As far as the spoiler. I agree with everybody. Trade with someone with a stock wrx. It'll be the easiest way to go. Good luck with getting your first car. Nothing drives like a wrx.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex View Post
    the stock unit is round and goldish in color. If it is polished, has a logo on it or a trumpet looking opening its aftermarket.

Something like this:

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.