'07 WRX or STI?? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on '07 WRX or STI?? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; WRX: Pros- Cheapest car of the 3,AWD,Pratical 4 door,smoother ride than the STi,lots of mods Cons-not as powerful as the ...

WRX:
    Pros- Cheapest car of the 3,AWD,Pratical 4 door,smoother ride than the STi,lots of mods
    Cons-not as powerful as the STi, transmission is a bit nothcy and handling is ok, insurance can be expensive
    STi:
    Pros-AWD, 300hp and ft/lbs, AWD 4 door practicallity, handles well, lots of mods
    Cons-ride can be harsh insurance is expensive, overall cost is expensive
    G35:
    Pros- smooth V6 (very different than the turbo feel), nicer interior, arguably the best looking of the 3 (if that matters to you), nice transmission, Basically just more luxury. Insurance will probably be less (I'm guessing since my Z costs less than my WRX did)
    Cons- not as fast or powerful as the STi but costs just as much,not as easy to mod.

So basically it seems you have the luxury option (G35) the performance option (sti) and the cheaper more toned down option (WRX)
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    WRX:
    Pros- Cheapest car of the 3,AWD,Pratical 4 door,smoother ride than the STi,lots of mods
    Cons-not as powerful as the STi, transmission is a bit nothcy and handling is ok, insurance can be expensive
    STi:
    Pros-AWD, 300hp and ft/lbs, AWD 4 door practicallity, handles well, lots of mods
    Cons-ride can be harsh insurance is expensive, overall cost is expensive
    G35:
    Pros- smooth V6 (very different than the turbo feel), nicer interior, arguably the best looking of the 3 (if that matters to you), nice transmission, Basically just more luxury. Insurance will probably be less (I'm guessing since my Z costs less than my WRX did)
    Cons- not as fast or powerful as the STi but costs just as much,not as easy to mod.

So basically it seems you have the luxury option (G35) the performance option (sti) and the cheaper more toned down option (WRX)
    thanks for breaking it down like that...

i don't know which one i want yet... the awd comes into play also

I'd suggest you go and drive all three of them and figure out which one you fall in love with matched to what you can afford.

IMO the STi drives the best of the bunch and falls just short of a racecar. It's wicked fast, handles like it's on rails, communicates to the driver and has a near bulletproof 6-speed. To me it seemed a bit more solid than either of my WRXs and I personally like the blue interior over my two tone grey/black in the 06 (of course both now come in leather if you're into that and heated seats are nice). It is significantly more expensive than the WRX and insurance is typically higher. It'll also be a little more expensive to maintain with stuff like brakes and tires and whatnot.

A regular WRX is by far the cheapest option here and still gets you very respectable performance with the 2.5L and AWD. It also feels cheaper, particularly the tranny, though it's easy to live with every day. It takes very well to mods if you're into that but keep in mind to mod it up to STi levels it will cost you a lot more than starting with an STi in the first place. It also gets better gas milage than the STi if that matters to you. I bought one of these instead of the other two b/c it still makes me happy every time I drive it and I still had enough money to put in Navi and new speakers as well as buy furniture and a new flat screen LCD for my appartment.

The G35 I think looks better than the other two and feels a more upscale. However, it is only RWD and will likely cost you as much as an STi. I didn't think it was nearly as fun to drive doesn't give as much feedback as Subies. The butt dyno didn't feel the acceleration that I'm used to. Also, the backseat is only for pets, luggage, or people you don't like. It's a PITA to get back there and even at 5'10" my head was hitting the back windshield.
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    2006 White TR replacement
    1998 V5 Grey STi

STI!
    hawk-eye alliance #6301
    07sti ltd ugm353/800

Quote Originally Posted by aaron6301 View Post
    STI!
    i love the sti and like everyone is saying it isnt worth upgrading a WRX to get it to what the STI already has...

I have to get some more quotes on prices for Insurance... IMO that is the turning point.. I can afford $31,xxx for the STI but the $480+/month is gonna kill me for the insurance!

Thanks again everyone for your input!

Registered User Importfanatic17's Avatar
    I'm 19 with an '05 STi and my insurance through AAA is $315 a month. I was going to say it is ONLY $315 but that is still a grip. Oh yeah, buy the STi...it is the sweetest car ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Importfanatic17 View Post
    I'm 19 with an '05 STi and my insurance through AAA is $315 a month. I was going to say it is ONLY $315 but that is still a grip. Oh yeah, buy the STi...it is the sweetest car ever!
    on your own policy?? what state? just curious

thanks

That's almost $3500 a year for insurance, dang!

Quote Originally Posted by sk8ter4life View Post
    That's almost $3500 a year for insurance, dang!
    i've had 1 quote for $5800/year!! All State gave me that quote..

I am with Geico right now and my '96 honda accord is around $800/6 months!

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Okay Here Goes
    I currently have a '96 Honda Accord, which is still running and not a bad car with 127,000 miles on it. I am looking into buy a new car. I am looking at '07 Infiniti G35's, '07 STI, and '07 WRX....

I understand the G35 is in a totally different than the Subaru's. I have not test drove the G35 yet.

I travel the highway about 30 miles each day to work. I live in Maryland, which we do not get that much snow, but when it does we do get a decent amount of it.

My question for you guys/girls is out of the '07 STI and '07 WRX which do you prefer??

'07 STI will kill me in insurance.... I have received one quote for $2900 for 6 months!!

Please help me... VERY NEWBIE!

Thanks
    So, there are a lot of good posts here, and I will just add my snippet of information:

Cars I have owned:
    - 1990 Legacy
    - 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
    - 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
    - 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
    - 2007 Subaru Impreza Forester XT SC

You Purpose:

The only thing I have not seen posted here is what you are planning on using the car for. When I bought my WRX and STi, my express purpose was to race both cars, which I did. When I compared my 03 to the 05 STi, there was no comparison -- they were completely different. With the 06+s, that difference hsa dimished quite a bit in terms of performance, but definitely not in terms of feel.

The STi I would only buy if you plan on doing something with it. It is a great car and it is really fast out of the box (for most people's needs). The gas milage is horrible, but it still can do all the normal things quite well.

The 06+ WRXes have A LOT of injector overhead, run higher compression than the STis, and are a little bit more economical, but not much. For what 90% of the people on all the boards do, this car is pretty awesome. However, if you are going to drive like it is a RWD Mustang and rip through gears in ANY Subaru, you are asking for trouble.

So, essentially, it depends on what you are looking for. I would say the STi is nice, but unless you can float the car financially without having to worry about it, I would go WRX 10 out of 10 times as it is now a GREAT car, and can do A LOT of things well.... especially if you check out how it is OFF road

- dow

Ps. I am paid 370/6months on the STi.

If you can afford it, it's best to get the STi. It's a great value if you look at all the upgraded parts and systems you get over the WRX. However, if you can't do a huge payment, the WRX is a good second. There is plenty of power and potential to increase through stages to a car that is quite competitive.

Both the WRX and STi are insurance nightmares.

The AWD also makes a great DD.

I can't see any reason to get the G35. Too many better cars out there for the price (STi, Evo, GTO, great-used Vettes, etc, etc...)
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I can't see any reason to get the G35. Too many better cars out there for the price (STi, Evo, GTO, great-used Vettes, etc, etc...)
    Well if you want a luxury vehicle than the G35 isn't a bad choice....but if performance is what you want then yeah there are plenty of better choices for the money. It's really a whole different kind of car than a STi, EVO etc.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 03-28-2007 at 06:49 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    IT woudl take far more money to make a WRX into an STI than it would to just buy the STI in the first place over the STI.
    Agreed........ But!

Somtimes if money is an issue its easier to get the WRX.. make it an STI and end up paying more...

Think of it like layaway at walmart Somtimes its just easier on the wallet to pay as you go even if you end up paying more in the end...

But your right.. STI is the most bang for its buck...... but i want a bugeye STI!!!!! lol
    Last edited by TheMainFrame; 03-28-2007 at 07:04 PM.
    Bugeye Mafia #125 - And Proud Of It!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    So having read dozens of these threads I'm still left wondering what the bare bones minimum is to get a wrx to have a roughly comparable level of performance and "feel". I mean if you only care about performance and nothing about aesthetics, and don't plan to track the car regularly. I've never gotten to drive an Sti (and my car is almost paid off...) so I always have to wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    So having read dozens of these threads I'm still left wondering what the bare bones minimum is to get a wrx to have a roughly comparable level of performance and "feel". I mean if you only care about performance and nothing about aesthetics, and don't plan to track the car regularly. I've never gotten to drive an Sti (and my car is almost paid off...) so I always have to wonder.
    A minimum of 5k+ installed just for a used STI transmission or 8-9K+ installed for a new STI transmission...

Without that one key componet you can never truely compare yourself with the STI

Id say you might be able to set the rest of the car up for bout 4-5K with a few used parts mixed in
    Bugeye Mafia #125 - And Proud Of It!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.