n00b with a couple of questions....

This is a discussion on n00b with a couple of questions.... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Heyy everyone!.. What's going on I'm new to this site as of today.. Normally I spend my time on IWSTI.. ...

n00b with a couple of questions....

Heyy everyone!.. What's going on I'm new to this site as of today.. Normally I spend my time on IWSTI.. But I've grown to like this site better... was juss wondering I have been into subies my entire life it doesn't seem that long to guys considering I'm 17 now.. Ill be 18 in sept.. I reallii wanted to buy a WRX I have been wanting one since the second I received my license.. I knoww I'm a noob to the whole driving scene and what not and you guys prolly see me as immature which I'm not.. I was wondering what it would take for me to get a WRX.. I don't have that much of money and reallii would love to pick one up.. Please feel free to add anything you would like comments questions get bac to me please and thank you!

-jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

18 in april sucker.

hahaha. It depends on what you're looking for. you can pick up a brand new wrx for about 24k, whereas an older 2002 would rub about 18ishk?

Or you could just be cool and buy an STi. WoOt.

Keep in mind that insurance is going to be a PITA. As well as car payments.
    Hope you make good money.

Anyways, good luck, and welcome to the club!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    You can find 02's with under 75k miles for around 12-14k. But you might want to look at the cost of insurance as it will probaly be a TON. Find one that isnt abused or modded because odds are you couldnt afford to fix it if the tranny went.

To be honest if I was on a really tight budget I wouldnt even consider a wrx that old. I would personally get a cheap daily driver until you can safely afford the wrx.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

okay, 12-14. I was only 6,000 dollars off.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGeeWhiz View Post
    One more of these pointless threads and im going to bash my face into the computer screen.
    There's no replacement for displacement. Except for a fat ass turbo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    You can find 02's with under 75k miles for around 12-14k. But you might want to look at the cost of insurance as it will probaly be a TON. Find one that isnt abused or modded because odds are you couldnt afford to fix it if the tranny went.

To be honest if I was on a really tight budget I wouldnt even consider a wrx that old. I would personally get a cheap daily driver until you can safely afford the wrx.
    +1 - at the young age of 17, unless you have your own money or mom and pop backing you - the WRX could end up being a nightmare to own and maintain. The cars are great, but if you are going to buy used, you'll need to find a car that hasn't been modded. Then you need to take care of it and learn how to drive AWD while you are still learning to drive. It's just not a great idea to be learning that with a car that has enough torque to damage itself if driven "spiritedly" without being mindful of the AWD. This is all assuming you buy stick, you could however buy an AT which would certainly make things easier.

Have you considered an older 2.5rs? This would let you get familiar with the cars engine and drivetrain. Still great cars, just not as fast as the WRX. There's nothing wrong with that - I've got a WRX, and it's "just not as fast as the STI".
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    +1 - at the young age of 17, unless you have your own money or mom and pop backing you - the WRX could end up being a nightmare to own and maintain. The cars are great, but if you are going to buy used, you'll need to find a car that hasn't been modded. Then you need to take care of it and learn how to drive AWD while you are still learning to drive. It's just not a great idea to be learning that with a car that has enough torque to damage itself if driven "spiritedly" without being mindful of the AWD. This is all assuming you buy stick, you could however buy an AT which would certainly make things easier.

Have you considered an older 2.5rs? This would let you get familiar with the cars engine and drivetrain. Still great cars, just not as fast as the WRX. There's nothing wrong with that - I've got a WRX, and it's "just not as fast as the STI".

+2

You might want to wait until you're in college first & you're in your parent's good graces, then have them buy you one...lol until then I think there are still some "clubwrx.net" tee-shirts that you can buy... if there are still some left? Ask the moderators...

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Good advice!
    +3 On getting a cheap daily driver until you can more easily afford the WRX. Over extending yourself (like taking on big payments or getting into a car you can't afford to maintain properly) just to own a cool car seems like it may not be a bad idea at first but it is a road to misery. There really are so many more important things that you should be focusing your limited resources on.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

+.04

Dude, your 17 almost 18. I am 21 at the moment. I have been driving for over 4 yrs and now is when my insurance went down. My recomendation, get a car under $10k making monthly payments under $300 and insurance in the 100s because at your age. Insurance is going to rape you in the -ss over and over and over. When I was 20 if I was to get an regular WRX or even an STi. My insurance would be $600-$700 a month. Now for some odd reason is $270 with proggressive. Dude, I know you want a cool car but unless your making around $30k - $40k and don't have any other payments. Your not going to be able to afford the car. You might be a great driver at heart but statistics that insurance follow, don't give a rats -ss. At the moment I bought an STi about 5 days ago. Good thing is that I had a hook up. I got the car for $20k w/ 30k miles and since I already have college degree and a lot of school loans. My credit is not the best and I am paying $550 a month for the car. I am a person that makes $40k+ w/ other minor bills and between the gas and maintance. I might have to go to the dollar menu at McD. So think it over. I know you want a WRX but ( You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes. YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED!!! ). My g/f hates it when I sing that to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_WRX!@ View Post
    Heyy everyone!.. What's going on I'm new to this site as of today.. Normally I spend my time on IWSTI.. But I've grown to like this site better... was juss wondering I have been into subies my entire life it doesn't seem that long to guys considering I'm 17 now.. Ill be 18 in sept.. I reallii wanted to buy a WRX I have been wanting one since the second I received my license.. I knoww I'm a noob to the whole driving scene and what not and you guys prolly see me as immature which I'm not.. I was wondering what it would take for me to get a WRX.. I don't have that much of money and reallii would love to pick one up.. Please feel free to add anything you would like comments questions get bac to me please and thank you!

-jeff

No regrets..... just think that over
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #0284
    TwoThousandSeven WRX TR..