Thinking about an 05 WRX, help needed

This is a discussion on Thinking about an 05 WRX, help needed within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Basically, I'm shopping around right now for 2 cars. An 05 Mazda RX8 (which I test drove yesterday), and an ...

Thinking about an 05 WRX, help needed

Basically, I'm shopping around right now for 2 cars. An 05 Mazda RX8 (which I test drove yesterday), and an 05 WRX. I really wanted to go RWD, but I live in CT so winter would probably be just about the most piss poor experience of my life with the RX8. Now I've always liked the WRXs and I'm going to go test drive an 05 tomorrow but I had some questions about it. One, how does the car handle? I loved the RX8 and I'd like to have a car that is pretty capable like that. Two, how is the transmission? The RX8 was pretty much flawless in that department, the shifting was astounding. Three, (this one might be stupid) can I have leather seats installed through the dealer? I saw an 02 WRX from a Scooby dealer about a half hour away from me and it had a leather interior which I was surprised to see, I thought the WRX only came with cloth up until the 06s release with the limited.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    ok first of all , a mazda rx-8 is a poor built car .. ive herd alot of stories with that car and the rwd isnt a good option for northeast like me ... i have an 05 wrx and i lvoe the car , the handeling , acceleration , and sound of the car is amazing .. the only 2 flaws on the car is cheap paint , and if you hammer ur tranny with countless launches good possibility it can break on you .. the tranny wont break if you dont add excessive power or launch every weeek .. i also looked at rx-8 , yeah interior is nice but i herd so many stories .. subaru will last longer and if you go cobb stage 2 [ turbo back exhaust + cobb ap ] = 1000 $ , your car will be faster to 0-60 than the sti with about 225 awp compared to the stock 175 awp

I haven't heard anything bad about the build quality at all of the RX8. As for the WRX, It's still high up on my list of cars. I've always wanted to drive one and I still can't wait to drive it tomorrow. But do you know anything about the interior options with leather?

RX8:
    Better handling
    Nicer interior (subjective)
    Nicer transmission
    Nicer paint (maybe)
    Slightly less practical (smaller back seat/trunk)
    RWD (won't be as good in bad weather)
    Less Power and generally slower (especially in the low end)
    Less mods available (if this matters to you)
    Has a tendency to drink oil

WRX:
    Won't hanlde as well stock (but with a few mods this will change and AWD grip is fun)
    Interior isn't as nice as the mazda but not bad by any means
    Tranmission is a bit nothcy but not bad
    Paint isn't very good
    Very practical, decent sized trunk, and backseat
    AWD (good for bad weather)
    More power and faster stock
    Very very easy to mod and make even faster
    Great reliability

I have no experience with RX8 reliability (other than using alot of oil which is a characteristic of the wankle) so I won't comment but I will say do your reserach carefully and remeber that if theres ever anything wrong with a car it will get blown out of proportion on the internet.

I test drive both and got the WRX the RX-8 felt to anemic to me and the new ones were too expensive at the time.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 03-25-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333 View Post
    RX8:
    Better handling
    Nicer interior (subjective)
    Nicer transmission
    Nicer paint (maybe)
    Slightly less practical (smaller back seat/trunk)
    RWD (won't be as good in bad weather)
    Less Power and generally slower (especially in the low end)
    Less mods available (if this matters to you)
    Has a tendency to drink oil

WRX:
    Won't hanlde as well stock (but with a few mods this will change and AWD grip is fun)
    Interior isn't as nice as the mazda but not bad by any means
    Tranmission is a bit nothcy but not bad
    Paint isn't very good
    Very practical, decent sized trunk, and backseat
    AWD (good for bad weather)
    More power and faster stock
    Very very easy to mod and make even faster
    Great reliability

I have no experience with RX8 reliability (other than using alot of oil which is a characteristic of the wankle) so I won't comment but I will say do your reserach carefully and remeber that if theres ever anything wrong with a car it will get blown out of proportion on the internet.

I test drive both and got the WRX the RX-8 felt to anemic to me and the new ones were too expensive at the time.
    That's what I do like about the WRX. The 05s I've been looking at are pretty much the same price as one of the RX8s I'm looking at, around $21 grand, but it makes some decent power. The RX8 was definetly lacking torque and I did have to be around 4k or so (if I remember correctly) for the RX8 to really open up.

As for modifications, I don't really know if I want to do anything like that to the car. Out of the 3 WRXs I'm looking at, 2 have the factory warranty well intact, and the other has the factory + the certified extended warranty so I don't know if I would do any modifications to it in fear of voiding the warranties.

I Support ClubWRX
    Both cars are very different. The RX8 will outhandle the wrx any day of the week. The wrx probaly will be faster in a straight line. The wrx has a ton more torque making it easier to drive around town. The wrx has crappy paint. The rx8 transmission probaly feels much better. The wrx will probaly last much longer.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"