Hi. im a noobie. Can you help me?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Hi. im a noobie. Can you help me? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey wondering if anyone could help me. Got my very first car today, an 07 2.5i Impreza and drove it ...

Hi. im a noobie. Can you help me?

Hey wondering if anyone could help me. Got my very first car today, an 07 2.5i Impreza and drove it from nyc to buffalo ny (about ~430 miles). Following the dealer's advice I kept it at alternating speeds - 10 mins going 60, 10 mins going 70, 10 mins going 55, and so on. He also suggested that I rev the rpm here and there. I revd it to 3, then an hour later to 4, then an hour later to 5, that being the max. Each rev was only a couple of seconds long. Anyways, when I arrived at my destination and went to get something out of the trunk, I smelled something funky. Kind of like the smell when someone burns their clutch, or something to that nature. I then parallel parked my car and when I got out smelled that same smell. Could it be the engine? Could it be the brakes? This is my very first car, so please be gentle with the comments, I'm a total newbie at this =). I'd appreciate any helpful advice. Thanks so much in advance! Oh yeah, my car is an automatic so the smell wouldn't be from the clutch. Thanks!!!!

also. when turning in to parallel park, it makes a sound like its struggling and shakes a bit.

i know this is a long post. sorry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs up

Welcome & congrats!

I wouldn't get too worried... Those things are not too uncommon on a new car.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm guessing that you're smelling residual cosmolene from the various new parts on the car burning off.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'm guessing that you're smelling residual cosmolene from the various new parts on the car burning off.
    alright thanks. I was actually asking for my gf. its her car but good to know. I hope to stay with this forum and learn some things... thanks for being helpful.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah it's probaly all that anti rust stuff they put on the car.

As far as break in the actual manuals says not to rev over 4k unless it's an emergency. Just keep it under 4k and make sure you vary your speeds on the highway. Good luck.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Yeah it's probaly all that anti rust stuff they put on the car.

As far as break in the actual manuals says not to rev over 4k unless it's an emergency. Just keep it under 4k and make sure you vary your speeds on the highway. Good luck.
    alright thanks. I have also heard that cars come broken in already. any truth to that?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by iidestined View Post
    alright thanks. I have also heard that cars come broken in already. any truth to that?
    I've heard things like that before, but most people around here still go by the manual's recommended break-in procedure. You (or someone) just spent a bunch of money for the car; may as well treat it right.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I do agree that you need to properly break in a car, but the manufacturer's break in instructions are a little overboard. All you need to do is watch that you don't run consistent rpm's for more than a couple of minutes. Basically just don't use the cruise control. Some manufacturer's recommend that you go 1/2 throttle for so many miles then 3/4 for another 500 miles.... blah blah blah. As long as you don't go full throttle to redline or anything stupid, you will be just fine.

As for the smell, it's just the crap burning off of the exhaust, breaks, etc. to keep them from rusting from the factory. It's nothing to worry about.

Also, don't forget to change your oil after 1000-1500 miles to rid the engine of the "extra material" that gets in the oil during the break in period.

Quote Originally Posted by msedly View Post
    I do agree that you need to properly break in a car, but the manufacturer's break in instructions are a little overboard. All you need to do is watch that you don't run consistent rpm's for more than a couple of minutes. Basically just don't use the cruise control. Some manufacturer's recommend that you go 1/2 throttle for so many miles then 3/4 for another 500 miles.... blah blah blah. As long as you don't go full throttle to redline or anything stupid, you will be just fine.

As for the smell, it's just the crap burning off of the exhaust, breaks, etc. to keep them from rusting from the factory. It's nothing to worry about.

Also, don't forget to change your oil after 1000-1500 miles to rid the engine of the "extra material" that gets in the oil during the break in period.
    yup, definitely won't forget to change the oil. she may have revved it up to 5k rpm like once. it should be fine though right?

good to see that this forum is helpful and friendly.

It will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by msedly View Post
    It will be fine.
    i wish she could have gotten it in stick, then i could have more fun with it

oh and as for the stuttering and shaking when parking and turning the wheels, its the differentials of an all wheel drive car...again nothing to be worried about
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Tell your girl she's awesome for driving an Impreza. That's what's up! I had the same funk problem with my new 07 WRX aftre driving it fron VA to FLA. It's gotta be a new car thing.
    You will always lose a top-end race to someone with less to lose than you. If you can get to 100 with them in your mirror, YOU WIN!!! Then just shut it down and let them deal with the cops.... or the Reaper"....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.