newbie with some questions...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on newbie with some questions... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, selling my pos Celica and moving to a WRX but I had some questions before I get one. ...

newbie with some questions...

Hey guys, selling my pos Celica and moving to a WRX but I had some questions before I get one. I wanna make sure nothing is wrong with it before I buy it... Any help would greatly be appreciated.

1. Are there any specific things I should look for when looking at when buying one? (besides the obvious such as oil leaks, over heating, and etc.)

2. What mods are available so that I may still pass emissions?

3. What is a good price to spend for an 02 or 03?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just make sure the Clutch is still in good condition. You never know what the guy before you did with it.
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Just make sure the Clutch is still in good condition. You never know what the guy before you did with it.
    how do i do that?

Drive it, make sure its not all loose feeling. I'm guessing you've never driven a stick before? By no means am i a professional. I think i have driven a stick a total of 15 times, but you can tell when you push the clutch in if it feels loose. It should be kind of tight.
    Semper Fi

Military Militia #11

Quote Originally Posted by twozzracer View Post
    Hey guys, selling my pos Celica and moving to a WRX but I had some questions before I get one. I wanna make sure nothing is wrong with it before I buy it... Any help would greatly be appreciated.

1. Are there any specific things I should look for when looking at when buying one? (besides the obvious such as oil leaks, over heating, and etc.)

2. What mods are available so that I may still pass emissions?

3. What is a good price to spend for an 02 or 03?

thanks
    1. Ideally you want to buy an unmodded WRX. If it does happen to be modded, you can post the modlist here and people will tell you whether or not the guy knew what he was doing or not.

2. Passing emissions depends on where your from.

3. For good market pricing check out www.kbb.com
    2002 WRX Sedan
    World Rally Blue
    OEM front lip, Cwest skirts and rear lip
    STi rear wing
    JDM Greddy turbo timer

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Drive it, make sure its not all loose feeling. I'm guessing you've never driven a stick before? By no means am i a professional. I think i have driven a stick a total of 15 times, but you can tell when you push the clutch in if it feels loose. It should be kind of tight.
    actually I have, I've never had a car that wasn't. I know for my celica, I just toss it in a high gear and if my rpm goes faster then my mph, then the clutch is slipping. Im guessing I can't do that in a WRX cause the car would stall due to the turbo?

I dont know man my manual experience is pretty slim. Same with my turbo experience. You may have to wait till tomorrow for a good answer unless someone is up late to help you out.
    Semper Fi

Military Militia #11

i would say make sure you take it to an independent mechanic and get them to look at it. paying $150 to get it inspected is way better then buying a bad car. also get unmodded.

What year celica did you have? Coming from a celica myself, the jump is greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by 2006WRX4ME View Post
    What year celica did you have? Coming from a celica myself, the jump is greatness.
    Coming from an 02 GTS w/ rev limiter conversion and some other mods... Its a fun car to drive but Im graduating from college and need a more practical car for winter here in Colorado.

off topic but do you guys know how to make it so the order of my post goes from the first post to the last post going down? Feels weird to have to scroll down to the bottom and read up on other peoples post.

its in ur user cp up at the top
    Lokin&Tokin

2005 STi trunk + wing OBP 4 sale. pm me.

Make sure that you run through the gears up and down! If you don't know how to downshift, take someone with you that can. If you feel any grinding or hesitation, that should throw up a red flag that the tranny, clutch, synchro or something else might be on it's way out.

I bought mine from a dealer knowing that there was a problem with 3'rd gear. I bought it under the condition that they would fix it. $4k and an 05 transmission later it was fixed and I didn't pay a dime! Make sure you won't get screwed from a private seller though b/c they won't be willing to cover it like a dealer will.

take a look at who you're buying it from. If it's an adult or old timer like me, you might be ok, but if it's some punk kid, be wary. Also take a look at what he/she drives now and the condition of that car. Take a look at the cigarette lighter to see if it's been smoked in. Look on the rear bumper, if there is nasty exhaust buildup then they were running a bov and didn't have a clue about the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister1rg View Post
    If you pushing out less then 20 and u have stock bov or bpv or whatever.....but your pushing more then the stock psi. say 18psi, and say you have an intake or the stock stuff deleted, does that sound chage at all or is it not affeected

2003 MBP 5MT (R.I.P)
    2000 Xterra SE
    2007 Civic EX Coupe

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are looking at a 02-03 they can go anywhere from 7,500-12k depending on miles. Some things to look for will be previous mods (even if there are no mods look at bolts around the downpipe to see how clean they are) conditin of the interior, receipts for service, condition of paint.

Most 02-03's are in the 40-90 thousand mile range. If the miles are up there make sure they have proof of oil changes and I'd suggest finding one that has had the oil pump, water pump, and timing belt replaced. These are probaly the most popular things that go around the 100k mark.

The tranny in these cars are not the best out there. You want to find one that hasnt been abused or you could be looking at a 2-6 thousand dollar repair down the road. To be honest the tranny would be my biggest fear over all other things as there is no such thing as a "cheap good replacement" for the stocker.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast