Not new to forum, new to WRX, 07 Ltd on way
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Not new to forum, new to WRX, 07 Ltd on way within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi folks, here is my tale.... I have been a member of the forum for a long time, since April ...

Not new to forum, new to WRX, 07 Ltd on way

Hi folks, here is my tale....

I have been a member of the forum for a long time, since April 2002, when I first considered buying a WRX. At the time I was coming out of my second Ford Probe, which was not a very reliable vehicle (unlike the first). Although I liked the new WRX a lot, I ended up swayed by a Jeep Wrangler. I decided I wanted a convertable, and for some reason, the Jeep seemed like a good idea. Overall, it wasn't bad. I had a lot of fun with that Jeep. However, now 5 years later, it is time for a new vehicle, and I really wanted to get back into a more sporty car as my daily ride.

The search has been ongoing for a long time, as I drive and consider options. I started out thinking I would go RWD muscle, and drove a Mustang GT and GTO. Both were very nice vehicles, but the mustang felt overdone on power, underdone on handling, and the GTO just seemed like a really fast, big car. Nice, but I prefer something that feels lighter and more maneuverable.

I also have a soft spot for the Solstice GXP. I have followed Pontiac's new 2 seater very closely since the original concept at the 2002 NAIAS, and have thought about buying one numerous times. They are a blast to drive! However, some practicality had to enter the equation too. That car has no trunk, and with just a touch over 3 inches of ground clearance, would be useless in a Buffalo winter. I already have a summer toy in my 88 Pontiac Fiero Formula, and do not really need two.

I even looked at a Saturn Ion Redline. I know, that car is sort of off the beaten path for what is generally seen as a good car to buy. However I have grown fond of the plastic body from my years in Fieros... no dents or dings is great, so is not having any body rust from rustbelt roadsalt. However, the car I drove just didn't seem like it wanted to turn. It really surprised me considering it was Nurburgring tuned, and has generally gotten good reviews for handling. Maybe it was the Quaiffe limited slip diff in the front, but the steering really got heavy and hard to fight in sharp turns. The rest of the car was rather unimpressive, and the loss of the Recaro seats for 2007 (replaced by normal Ion buckets) didn't help any.

I even flirted with the idea of getting a Pontiac G6 hardtop convertable. The retractable hardtop is neat, and it is a nice cruising car. However, after the initial newness wore off, I am fairly certain some heavy buyers remorse would have set in, as the car is just a cruiser. Not particularly sporty beyond it's pointy lines.

So in the end, it brought me back to the WRX. I drove a standard issue one today, and must say that it surprised me at how well the car drove. It's been a while since 2002, so I do not have strong memories of the bugeye I looked at back in the day. However, this car seemed very solid, accelerated very well, handled great, and overall impressed me. The saleswoman took me out for about 20-25 minutes, down some straight and curvy roads. Then took me back to the dealership. When we got there, she told me to go ahead and take the car back out on my own for a hour or so, get a good feel for it. I thought that was great too, since most dealers won't let you really drive it for a while to get a feel.

It was on this drive where I decided it was the car. It is so much more fun to drive than the Mustang or GTO. It doesn't have the raw power of those two, but it sure does take off too. It also takes no time at all to get into boost, even with a normal takeoff from a stop. (I didn't do any high RPM launches... the car was a demo with over 600 miles on it, but I still did not want to beat on the powertrain that bad, after all, someone will end up owning it). It sure handles better, and gives a better feel for what the tires are doing down on the road. It was raining today too, and it still seemed to have endless grip. The shifter did seem to be a bit notchy, but finding the gates was not hard at all and I do not consider that to really be bad.

Long story short, I made the deal. They located an urban grey limited sedan for me, which should be here by the end of the week. I am excited, and cannot wait! It's been a LONG time coming. I am sure I'll have fun!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fformula88 View Post
    Long story short, I made the deal. They located an urban grey limited sedan for me, which should be here by the end of the week. I am excited, and cannot wait! It's been a LONG time coming. I am sure I'll have fun!
    Congrats and welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Fformula88 View Post
    Long story short
    You need some work on that part.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Congrats and welcome back!

+1

You need some work on that part.
    Cliff Notes?
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Cliff Notes?
    Care to translate again?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Congrats on the purchase!!!

A good set of after market sway bars and end links will really tighten up its great handling. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you'd be interested in modding down the road..

Wow an 825 word post!

Congratulation on the...eerrr...Did you end up buying something?...

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Welcome back!
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

Thanks for the welcome guys, and sorry for the wordy post.

Cliff Notes version: Traded 02 Jeep Wrangler for 07 WRX Limited.

Update: I had to wait a week for the WRX, it came from 400+ miles away. The dealer didn't want it to have that kind of mileage, so they paid one of their people to drive a flatbed out to retrieve it and bring it back. So I got it fresh, just 11 miles on it! That was very cool!

Having driven it two days I am very impressed. Staying under 4K stinks, as it really wants to blast off starting just before 4K, but the 2.5L is still pretty peppy under that RPM.

I am still feeling out the shifter too. Somewhat rough on downshifts, but my biggest problem is the 1-2 upshift. Fopr some reason, I am letting the RPM's drop too much... just too slow on the clutch work I guess. I am sure it will come to me.

I'll try to get some pics this week...
    Last edited by Fformula88; 03-18-2007 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBomber06 View Post
    Congrats on the purchase!!!

A good set of after market sway bars and end links will really tighten up its great handling. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you'd be interested in modding down the road..
    Mods will happen down the road. Probably nothing for a while, as I want to get a good feel for the car first before deciding where I want to go with it. I also want to be sure it is mechanically sound before doing anything that may get me into a warranty argument with the dealer.

First priority is probably going to be the handling too. I'll definately look into swaybars. Probably won't lower much however, the ground clearance will be appreciated helpful in Buffalo winters.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.