New to tuner cars - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New to tuner cars within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A little OT here, I've never thought of Subies as a "tuner cars." When I hear that I usually think ...

A little OT here, I've never thought of Subies as a "tuner cars." When I hear that I usually think of Honda/Acura.

Ok now back to your post. Welcome to the club.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Cobb stage 2 turbo back exhaust would be a good investment. Along with giving me a little more power.

Heres the real deal I want my little car to push around 300+. What do I need to do. Like I said im new to building up a little engine thing. If it was a old mustang or something I would know what to do. But with this little car I dont even know where to begin except for new exhaust and a intake. So if anyone can help me out I would be in debt to ya'll.

You want 300+...BHP...WHP...TQ...????

Either way your gonna need a bigger turbo, beef up your trans and a good tune.( + supporting mods)

Search "300WHP" or what ever number your looking for and see what comes up. Many people have posted with very good info on how to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    no BOVs they do more harm than good. (to these cars in stock form that is)
    why is that? im not asking to be annoying, im curious i always thought they were good for the turbo
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #0284
    TwoThousandSeven WRX TR..

Quote Originally Posted by cepterone View Post
    why is that? im not asking to be annoying, im curious i always thought they were good for the turbo
    Good in what way?

They are only good if you need them to hold more boost. But for stock or near stock application's they are useless.

If you really want a bov, keep an eye on the for sale section. People are always selling them after a few thousand miles because their car runs like crap. Your engine will run rich inbetween every shift, causing backfires and engine stumbling. Bov's are only required when you're running 18lbs+ of boost.

If you're lookin to get into the 300hp mark. Not only do you need to upgrade your turbo, injectors, fuel pump, and intercooler, but you need to upgrade your brakes and suspension. It would be real scary having all that power with sloppy suspension and poor brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister1rg View Post
    If you pushing out less then 20 and u have stock bov or bpv or whatever.....but your pushing more then the stock psi. say 18psi, and say you have an intake or the stock stuff deleted, does that sound chage at all or is it not affeected

2003 MBP 5MT (R.I.P)
    2000 Xterra SE
    2007 Civic EX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by cepterone View Post
    BOV's ARE good for the turbo. What people don't usually explain, however, is that the WRX comes stock with a BOV that recirculates the air back into the intake system. Most aftermarket BOVs are the bad news. Reason being (vague crappy description) is because the ECU is expecting the air to be replaced into the intake system between shifts, and thus when you get back on the gas it matches that air with fuel. The ECU doesn't know that the air is being blown into the atmosphere (with the aftermarket) so it will add fuel for air that isn't there after a shift, causing the car to run rich.

There are aftermarket BOV's that recirculate the air into the intake system, but unless you will be running over 20 psi, you don't need one.

Any corrections to my crappy description are welcome

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.