Need opinions on purchasing a WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Need opinions on purchasing a WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi there. I am considering buying a 2002 WRX Wagon. It has 94000 miles on it. I just had a ...

Need opinions on purchasing a WRX

Hi there. I am considering buying a 2002 WRX Wagon. It has 94000 miles on it. I just had a few questions that I thought you all would be able to help me with; and those questions are............

1. What type of mechanical problems can I expect from this car in regard to the mileage and car model itself?

2. How dependable is this car as an everyday driver and in the snow?

3. Two part question: It has an sti shifter but no sti stickers on the outside. Is it an earlier sti model? How easy is it to upgrade?

All your input is very valuabe and I hope to be a proud WRX owner soon if it looks like a good buy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TurboLuster View Post
    Hi there. I am considering buying a 2002 WRX Wagon. It has 94000 miles on it. I just had a few questions that I thought you all would be able to help me with; and those questions are............

1. What type of mechanical problems can I expect from this car in regard to the mileage and car model itself?

2. How dependable is this car as an everyday driver and in the snow?

3. Two part question: It has an sti shifter but no sti stickers on the outside. Is it an earlier sti model? How easy is it to upgrade?

All your input is very valuabe and I hope to be a proud WRX owner soon if it looks like a good buy.
    1. if properly maintained, should not have any issues

2. most of the people on this forum use the car as their daily driver, the car also gets very good reviews just about everywhere - that goes for all model variants of the impreza

3. Most likely, it's just a shift knob. Put the car in 6th, if you go backwards, it's reverse in a 5 speed - if you go slightly forward or stall - congrats, you've got a 6-speed. The conversion is not cheap nor easy - use the search and you'll find out why.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

1. If it has been taken care of and maintained it should be just fine.

2. WRXs are EXCELLENT daily drivers, same for pretty much any model of Subaru. WRXs are very reliable and are probably about the best car you can have for snow unless it's extremely deep (ground clearance).

3. STIs weren't sold in the US till 04 (if that is where you're from). It is possible that it has an STI tranny, but not very likely due to costs. To find out for sure do what Micah said.
    Last edited by NIGHTHAWK15; 03-03-2007 at 01:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.