Automatic WRX Sedan???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Automatic WRX Sedan??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi Everybody. I'm a new member here and wanted to say hi first before I go on. I was thinking ...

Automatic WRX Sedan???

Hi Everybody. I'm a new member here and wanted to say hi first before I go on.

I was thinking about my a WRX Sedan, but the problem is I suck at driving manual. So I was wonder if the automatic version of the WRX is any good. Any negative about buying it? Any impressions having someone drive an automatic sports car? I was planning to buy an manual transmission one, but I terrible at driving it. Especially living in San Francisco,CA there is too much hill for me to handle.

Thank you for your input.

-Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Vez
    Welcome! Sorry, I can't comment on your thoughts...I'm still learning.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Get the stick. You will learn more quickly than you give yourself credit for. Just do it.

I worked with a guy a few years back who had little experience with a MT (he kind of sucked at it). He bought a new Acura RSX-S and forced himself to learn. He had it down in no time.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

ya, i tought an ex a few years back how to drive a stick, & within a week or so of practicing for an hour or so a night, she was good enough to get around fine. my old man made me learn on a stick before hed let me touch an auto. it's really not that hard & it comes quickly. i'd recommend just getting it, & set aside some time to practice in a parking lot or something for the first week or two. & don't forget to practice on hills before you get on one in traffic. & don't worry if you stall it at a stop light or something. we were all there at one point & you'll get through it. it's definitely worth it, & it's a good thing to know if you get stuck somewhere having to rent a car or drive somebody else's car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #91
    '07 OBP WRX Sedan

I was terrified to drive stick, i drive a 2003 Eclipse automatic....lame. My friend offered to teach me on his Integra, which at the time was pretty well modded. So i felt very intimidated by it. He took me to a parking lot, and told me to just drive. He didnt say a word to me. Just told me to learn on my own. It took a few go around till I got it down pat, but its really easy after about 20 mins. Cant wait to get rid of this car

Thanks for everybodys input on the manual. But consider that it is my mom who is going to pay for the car, she strongly object the idea of me driving a manual. BTW, I'm only 18. As each days goes on, the idea of getting an automatic seem more likely to me. Since; one, my mom will also drive the car from time to time and two, my mom who will pay for the car has the strong final say. So its either getting an automatic WRX or another automatic car.
    I currently drive a 2005 IS300. I was the one who actually pick out this car. I like this car very much. But after examining under hood the past few days, I've decided that the car will be tough to work on. I'm studying right now to become an automotive technician. And looking at the pros having difficulty doing an oil change, it will even be though for myself with little experience to do an oil change. So with that in mind, is a WRX easy to work on (such as works that can be done just by jacking up the car without a lift) and is it worth buying a WRX that is automatic

Thanks again everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by hoo8myryce View Post
    Thanks for everybodys input on the manual. But consider that it is my mom who is going to pay for the car, she strongly object the idea of me driving a manual. BTW, I'm only 18. As each days goes on, the idea of getting an automatic seem more likely to me. Since; one, my mom will also drive the car from time to time and two, my mom who will pay for the car has the strong final say. So its either getting an automatic WRX or another automatic car.
    I currently drive a 2005 IS300. I was the one who actually pick out this car. I like this car very much. But after examining under hood the past few days, I've decided that the car will be tough to work on. I'm studying right now to become an automotive technician. And looking at the pros having difficulty doing an oil change, it will even be though for myself with little experience to do an oil change. So with that in mind, is a WRX easy to work on (such as works that can be done just by jacking up the car without a lift) and is it worth buying a WRX that is automatic

Thanks again everybody.
    nice right on man..i'm going to skyline college to become a automotive technician. but dude get the manual..learn it first then teach your mom how to drive a stick. its not hard at all. i practically forced my dad to get a MT car for me. and it was an integra gsr, then i got my 05 RSX-S recently. i'm also 18 years old. what high school did you go to man? or graduated from? and is your name Kenneth?

oh yea. if your gonna be a automotive technician. theres no way that you can avoid working on cars with little engine space where you can stick your hands in. you just got to get use to it.

As a practical input, speaking from my experience...

Oil change is very easy to do on a WRX more than learning how to drive manual with it. I was driving stick shift for a year when I bought my WRX. It took me a little over a week to get used to it. If you're a beginner, not to discourage you, but it's tougher to learn when comparing it to an RSX as mentioned. RSX have a very smooth, easy clutch, while the WRX have a rugged feel on it. Even my dad who's been driving stick shift for many years still lunges and dies out when he drives it. The behavior of the WRX is just completely different from a FWD car. Driving it on a "hilly" streets of San Francisco and neighboring cities will make it more tougher for you and your mom.

My opinion, WRX is not a beginner's manual car to learn from, but it's far from impossible. And from your situation, it seem like you're mom will not budge in for a manual transmission. Your situation just not justify your "want" for it.

There's nothing wrong with an automatic WRX. Good luck!
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 03-05-2007 at 02:34 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

I also think you should get the stick my dad also didnt let me touch an automatic until i learned how to drive a stick. Its not as hard as it looks.

I was in your shoes a year back. Well actually, I didn't get to pick out my car, but yes I had to have an auto.

I have a 05 wrx (auto) and it's really not that bad of a car. Yes stick is waaaay more fun but if it's not an option than a auto is "just" as good too.
    If you want more power just upgrade to stage 2 ( {Cobb} downpipe+engine management) which is a blast for the weekends, yet reliable enough for the weekdays.

And just a little FYI, try to appreciate what you're getting even though it may not be 100% what you wanted......

-S.d.

Quote Originally Posted by Me&05WRX View Post
    My opinion, WRX is not a beginner's manual car to learn from, but it's far from impossible. And from your situation, it seem like you're mom will not budge in for a manual transmission. Your situation just not justify your "want" for it.
    eh. Maybe, but im a big time rookie at driving manuals. Ive driven my friends pick up, my friends integra, and my friends WRX. To me the Integra and WRX were pretty similar, maybe it was just me, but it didnt seem to hard... i didnt stall out or anything like that. Than again i dont drive the WRX everyday
    Semper Fi

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #62
    Military Militia #11
    2007 WRX TR, WR Blue: Stg 2

it's better to suck at manual than to suck at life. automatics should be banned from the Earth.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy View Post
    it's better to suck at manual than to suck at life. automatics should be banned from the Earth.
    funny, but a little harsh. Autos have their places. If I had to commute every day in stop and go traffic where I couldn't let the rex stretch it's legs anyway, I'd probably buy an automatic if I had to sit through that hell every day.
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    2006 White TR replacement
    1998 V5 Grey STi

Traffic should be banned from the Earth
    2004 White WRX (R.I.P.)
    2006 White TR replacement
    1998 V5 Grey STi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast