Automatic WRX Sedan??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Automatic WRX Sedan??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by ArchangelF16 funny, but a little harsh. you won't know harsh until manual transmissions are extinct due to ...

Quote Originally Posted by ArchangelF16 View Post
    funny, but a little harsh.
    you won't know harsh until manual transmissions are extinct due to excuses like this:

Quote Originally Posted by ArchangelF16 View Post
    If I had to commute every day in stop and go traffic where I couldn't let the rex stretch it's legs anyway, I'd probably buy an automatic if I had to sit through that hell every day.
    funny how the rest of the world doesn't seem to mind. i guess they seem to know a little more about driving involvement, or we're just lazy.

i honestly can't think of a bigger disappointment than seeing an automatic transmission in a sports car.

to the OP: if you want an automatic, get a Camry, i hear the new ones are really nice.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy View Post
    you won't know harsh until manual transmissions are extinct due to excuses like this:

funny how the rest of the world doesn't seem to mind. i guess they seem to know a little more about driving involvement, or we're just lazy.

i honestly can't think of a bigger disappointment than seeing an automatic transmission in a sports car.

to the OP: if you want an automatic, get a Camry, i hear the new ones are really nice.
    try to be a little nicer to the new people.

and yes while driving a stick might be fun, there is still nothing wrong with an automatic.
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester 2.5 XTi View Post
    If aesthetics was 1st, I wouldn't have bought a Forester!

It's always gonna be a losing battle trying to get people to respect auto's.....

*last post for future flamers*

Quote Originally Posted by Subie do View Post
    It's always gonna be a losing battle trying to get people to respect auto's.....
    -1 the market is saturated with auto's, which is leading to the manual's demise. if you prefer auto's, you have a bright future ahead of you.

if you're talking about car enthusiasts, it comes as no surprise to me that people who enjoy driving don't want an extra layer between man and machine. a car that drives itself is just an appliance.

If you go to any country in Europe, it's a real scavenger hunt to find a car, truck, w/e with an automatic transmission. They don't seem to have any problems with Manual's. American's (yes, im American too) are lazy and want everything cheap and easy. But when it comes to a Sports car, its (at least to me) important to have a closer connection with the car. It's always nice to know what gear your gonna be in when coming out of a corner at the track or what not. On top of that, auto's rob hp from the car anyways. now...

1.) "Manual's are too hard in traffic!" - Gimme a break! I have been driving stick since i was 14, and in severe rush hour LA traffic for the past two years. I may have stalled the car a grand total of 10 times. After a while, it becomes second nature... i don't even recognize that im shifting while in traffic.

2.) "It's too hard to start on a hill." - WRX's have a great parking break, which makes it extremely easy to start on an incline. Hold the break up, and slowly release it as you let out the clutch... won't role back a bit.
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx View Post

1.) "Manual's are too hard in traffic!" - Gimme a break! I have been driving stick since i was 14, and in severe rush hour LA traffic for the past two years. I may have stalled the car a grand total of 10 times. After a while, it becomes second nature... i don't even recognize that im shifting while in traffic.

2.) "It's too hard to start on a hill." - WRX's have a great parking break, which makes it extremely easy to start on an incline. Hold the break up, and slowly release it as you let out the clutch... won't role back a bit.
    exactly. 1% extra effort for 1000% more fun is a no-brainer. i can't understand why any person who enjoys driving would even consider an auto. driving a manual is not rocket science, it's actually pretty easy.

and let me be the first to point out that auto's are faster on the drag strip, and faster most of the time in the real world, but that's never gonna matter if you're not in control of your car, bored out of your mind.

I've had my 5 spd. WRX for a little less than 2 weeks, and I was contemplating auto or manual before I got it. I've never driven manual before, and I was kind of intimidated by it. I was worried about getting a nice new car and destroying the clutch right away, or getting into an accident. But I hate not knowing how to do something, so I went ahead and got the manual, pointed at it and said "I refuse to let you defeat me" lol.

I have a few friends who offered to teach me how to drive it, but I ended up just driving around my neighborhood by myself. It only took a few sessions of driving around for a few hours to fully get the hang of it. Now after 2 weeks I'm driving it smoothly without even thinking about it. Every now and then I get a little herky jerky (like if I just woke up and have to drive) but you can't be perfect in 2 weeks. I also drive in horrible stop and go traffic for about 40 minutes every morning, and that gets to be kind of annoying, but I don't mind it and it's great practice at engaging the clutch smoothly.

Maybe this will help you decide... it's really not that difficult and it's really satisfying to master something you were once intimidated by.

are the wrx clutches stiffer? well stiffer then honda's..

GIVE AUTOs A BREAK!
    ...probably safer for everyday driving IMOHO.
    I'd rather see someone with at least one hand on the wheel, when tending the "cell phone" !...than no hands at all !!!

I strongly believe that everybody should learn to drive a manual when they are learning to drive. You never know when you may end up in a situation where you absolutely have to drive one. I race motocross and ride in many "backwood" areas a lot and if i was to get hurt, I want to know that the person that is with me can drive my truck (MT) to get me to a hospital if need be.

Explain to your mom that a manual is not a bad thing and that you would really like to learn how to drive one. She may agree or she may not, but it is worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy View Post
    it's better to suck at manual than to suck at life. automatics should be banned from the Earth.
    +1 on that
    '07 Blue Pearl WRX TR
    Stock Turbo guage and wrx spoiler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12