Comprehensive "SAFE" Mod List for NEWBS
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Comprehensive "SAFE" Mod List for NEWBS within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; For those of us out there who choose to be affected by the MOD Bug, but do not want to ...

Comprehensive "SAFE" Mod List for NEWBS

For those of us out there who choose to be affected by the MOD Bug, but do not want to void warranties. Here is a list of simple modifications that are either not going to void a warranty, or at least should not raise any eyebrows if you have to take it in... This list is basically for those individuals who have the dealership's mechanics do all of the installs to minimize the risks of sketchy warranty claims. This is not a definitive list, and different dealerships have different policies for different mods. If a dealership wants to, they could try to use circular logic saying that your specific mod made you push your car harder and caused something to break....I dont know that one.

All in all, the point to remember is that if you choose to mod, be willing to shell out buku bucks just in case you catch a Subaru official on a bad day...

A warranty is not a blanket term placed on a car that you only get one of...Example: If you mod your exhaust, Subaru cannot deny your claim to fixing your air conditioner, but they might try to deny claims on your engine and / or drivetrain.

Exhaust
    -Any type of catback exhaust is fine as long as you dont mess with the catalytic converters. Again, you are perfectly fine with just a cat-back system.
    -Downpipes and Uppipes are probably not going to be good for a warranty claim...

Intake
    -Intakes will net you many different responses across these boards as to the actual gains / damages associated with them.
    -I would suggest that if you must have one, the SPT intake is good because it is made by Subaru for Subaru and dealerships should have no or minimal qualms about them. I would suggest the Intake Heat Shield also...

EM (Engine Management)
    -I probably would not do this if you want to be as discrete as possible. There is always a chance of someone finding out at your very own dealership and that could raise several red flags for warranty work.

Engine Modifications
    -If you want to retain your warranty, dont do these mods...
    -Aftermarket turbos will hurt you in warranty claims.
    -Engine port and polishing could hurt you if it is found out.
    -Increasing Bore in your engine will most definitely hurt your cause.

Transmission
    -SPT or STi makes several products for our cars that are very good quality.
    -They make short shifters, bushings, tranny and engine mounts, etc.

Suspension
    -Lowering springs are an "iffy" situation. They probably would not do too much to hurt a car in theory, but there could always be some person out there looking to save Subaru some money and could argue that your springs did something bad and put pressure on some system.
    -Strut bars should not do much to hurt your cause, unless someone tries to pull a fast one on ya about driving a certain way. SPT does make a set of Strut Bars just in case.
    -Sway bars could be iffy unless you get something made by SPT or STi because they are a vital part of your car's handling.

Appearance
    -I believe that most of these mods are good, unless you try to get them to fix something like a damaged lip that you put on aftermarket.
    -Wheels and tires are the same way, do what you want...

I hope that this helps someone....
    Cobb Stage 2 - 2006 OBP WRX Sedan Hawkeye Alliance #12 Modifier's Anonymous Roll Call #2
    My Baby -> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2493032/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    omfg... you made me think you lost your little peter or something with a thread title like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    if you think about it, bugeyes sorta resemble boobs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Vez
    I asked the service department at my dealership, "Which modifications actually void my warranty? I heard most of them do."

Knowing that each place will most likely tell you something different, this answer sounded reasonable to me:

"The trick with the warranty is if you mod your car and SOA determines that your mod was the cause of the problem, you just voided your warranty. If you decide to mod your car and there is no negative result, the warranty stays intact regardless of the mod. Unfortunately, SOA tends to 'find' connections betwen your mod and the problem you're experiencing. If the mod doesn't specifically affect engine performance, you can't void the warranty."

That isn't a direct quote, but it's really close...and he did exactly say, "If the mod doesn't specifically affect engine performance, you can't void the warranty."

Believe it at your own risk!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #081
    I'm the only person born a Pirate and trained as a Ninja; I sometimes don't get along with myself..
    2007 UGM WRX STI Ltd. #081/800

Wonder if they would get if you put a catless STI up-pipe on your wrx?

Just a thought......

just to clarify, unless you tamper w/ odometer, mods don't void the warranty, rather, they allow subie to deny a warranty claim. so some places are ok with mods that other's aren't.

eg. the keyless entry mod (make all doors open w/ one click) involves cutting & splicing wires, so most places would consider that enough to deny any warranty claim for anything electrically related, while there are a few dealerships that would look at the work, & make a true judgement on whether or not that caused the problem. like others always say, mod at your own risk, but helps to talk around to dealerships & you will find there are some out there that are quite "mod friendly"
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #91
    '07 OBP WRX Sedan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.