What to be aware on a wrx before i buy it?

This is a discussion on What to be aware on a wrx before i buy it? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok guy's i'm new on subaru's, i want to buy a 02 wrx with 67xxx miles on it but i ...

What to be aware on a wrx before i buy it?

Ok guy's i'm new on subaru's, i want to buy a 02 wrx with 67xxx miles on it but i dont know what to look for before i buy it, there it's something i should look before i get it ? Also are they real good car's? i want to keep it stock and i'm planing on dryving a lot on snow, that's because i live on the mountains of Colorado. Thanks
    -David

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by redsvt View Post
    Ok guy's i'm new on subaru's, i want to buy a 02 wrx with 67xxx miles on it but i dont know what to look for before i buy it, there it's something i should look before i get it ? Also are they real good car's? i want to keep it stock and i'm planing on dryving a lot on snow, that's because i live on the mountains of Colorado. Thanks
    -David
    1) A wrx with that kind of mileage is a bit of a toss up. The most important thing is to make sure it was not abused and/or modded. If treated right, the car will go past 150k without any real problems. If abused or improperly modded, the motor/tranny can blow within 20k miles.
    The 2002 wrx is known for its weak manual transmission. Again though, if the car is taken care of with no gear banging or really hard launches the tranny will be fine.
    So try and find one driven by someone older, unmodded, and seemingly well taken care of.

2) Yes, they are excellent cars. For the money it is hard to find anything else that will accelerate, handle and mod like a wrx will... Let alone have awd and be able to tackle just about any weather. If you treat the car well, it will be very good to you.
    Common issues with the car (especially with the mileage you are looking at) is clock of dash going out, passenger window motor burning out, windshield cracks, and of course, interior rattles and crappy paint that chips.
    Mostly pretty small stuff and easily/cheaply fixed.
    The car has its issues, but every car does and overall the wrx is a great car.

3) Good luck keeping it stock. They respond so well to mods that it is extremely hard to not mod it when less than $1,000 can get you a reliable 50whp

4) With a set of dedicated snow tires the wrx should tackle Colorado winters very well. A while back we had a huge Colorado community and a good percentage of our regular posters were from the CO. and thoroughly enjoyed having their wrx there.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Hey man, I'd say go for it. I bought my 02 with 100k on it and it's running great. What part of CO are you from?
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

I live in Edwards CO that's by Vail in the mountains right now but i usally go to Denver every weekend. Thanks

sounda awesome! hey thanks for the tips, i can use them to my advantage as well! so im assuming that after 02, they took care of their problems of the bad trans? thanks