New Member... sort of.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Member... sort of. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I'm looking to purchase a used 2002 WRX and I have a few questions regarding them. I'm completely new ...

New Member... sort of.

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a used 2002 WRX and I have a few questions regarding them. I'm completely new to the WRX so, I'm ignorant to many specs.

I test drove it today and noticed the suspension was incredibly stiff! I mean stiff! Is the suspension this stiff stock? It does look slightly low but I'm not sure if its stock or lowered.

If it is lowered, how easy would it be to return it to stock suspension?

Also, what are typical 1/4 mile times for a stock wagon?

Last question, anyway I can easily tell if it is modded or anything? It has no intake, just some exhaust which I may remove.

Other than that I love the car. I'm going back on Saturday to hopefully close the deal but I just need time to think on it.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tecolote View Post
    Hello, I'm looking to purchase a used 2002 WRX and I have a few questions regarding them. I'm completely new to the WRX so, I'm ignorant to many specs.

I test drove it today and noticed the suspension was incredibly stiff! I mean stiff! Is the suspension this stiff stock? It does look slightly low but I'm not sure if its stock or lowered.

If it is lowered, how easy would it be to return it to stock suspension?

Also, what are typical 1/4 mile times for a stock wagon?

Last question, anyway I can easily tell if it is modded or anything? It has no intake, just some exhaust which I may remove.

Other than that I love the car. I'm going back on Saturday to hopefully close the deal but I just need time to think on it.

Thanks!
    Welcome! You made a great choice.

The stock suspension is not stiff at all, well it depends on what you are used too i guess.

Look at the from wheels, is the gap between the tire and the body of the car an inch? or does it look like an SUV? Stock has a very big gap.

You dont want stock suspension, you want progressive springs (Prodrive or Eibach Pro Kit). they are sporty yet forgiving on normal roads. bumps always hurt a bit.

Stock 1/4mi for the WRX is 14.3+. Wagon is probably like 14.5.

• Is there a boost gauge? If so it shouldnt go over 13.5psi, or .09 MPa on the stock gauge.
    • Also pop the hood, look at the turbo is the piping going under the car small or large? large is aftermarket. Small and plated is stock.
    • look for colored tubing in the engine bay.
    • look at the intercooler for the recirculating valve it should be sorta shiny brace w/ a Z printed on it.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

As stated the stock suspension is firm but not too stiff. Your current setup may have been modded to some degree.

Nice Dali in your avatar!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Welcome! You made a great choice.

The stock suspension is not stiff at all, well it depends on what you are used too i guess.

Look at the from wheels, is the gap between the tire and the body of the car an inch? or does it look like an SUV? Stock has a very big gap.

You dont want stock suspension, you want progressive springs (Prodrive or Eibach Pro Kit). they are sporty yet forgiving on normal roads. bumps always hurt a bit.

Stock 1/4mi for the WRX is 14.3+. Wagon is probably like 14.5.

• Is there a boost gauge? If so it shouldnt go over 13.5psi, or .09 MPa on the stock gauge.
    • Also pop the hood, look at the turbo is the piping going under the car small or large? large is aftermarket. Small and plated is stock.
    • look for colored tubing in the engine bay.
    • look at the intercooler for the recirculating valve it should be sorta shiny brace w/ a Z printed on it.
    I looked at the car again and it is definitely lowered... I'm not sure what kit it is though. No doubt lowered is good but damn this one hurt on a bump, almost felt like it bottomed out.

Thats what I figured for 1/4 times. All I want for it is to run 13's safely. Hopefully it won't cost me an arm and a leg to do so.

It has an exhaust but I'm not sure what brand it is. Single 3" tail pipe on the left side and it isn't too loud (thank goodness!).

Under the hood everything looked stock. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Damn I didn't look at the gauge to see the boost.

Tomorrow is my day to decide! Thanks for the thorough response!

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

As stated the stock suspension is firm but not too stiff. Your current setup may have been modded to some degree.

Nice Dali in your avatar!
    Thanks!
    It sure seems like it.

Ah you know Dali.

Welcome to the club..
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #888

Quote Originally Posted by Ballz View Post
    Welcome to the club..
    + 1
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by Ballz View Post
    Welcome to the club..
    +2
    New England F4
    Bugeye Mafia
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500
    03 Subaru WRX (SOLD)
    01 CBR 929 (SOLD)
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    nothing funny about stubble on the man-marbles.

I got the car and I love it! I'll post some pictures up when the weather clears up. Who knows, maybe it was from someone on here.

I do have a question though. On the left side of the dash where the fog light and 'cruise' buttons are, there is a black dial. Either left or right. I have no idea what it is and someone mentioned it could be a manual boost controller or something like that.

Damn the car did not come with a factory handbook! And damn it did not come with a boost gauge!

welcome to the club. hope all continues to go well. make sure to give all the ricers in your town a thorough beat down that all deserve. the wrx is the car for the job.
    2006 Aspen White WRX STI (320whp/390wtq - Molested by Drunkmann Tuning)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.