New Guy with lots of tech questions!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New Guy with lots of tech questions! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well i finally joined the subaru after my integra got stolen. I just bought a new black 07 wrx. I ...

New Guy with lots of tech questions!

Well i finally joined the subaru after my integra got stolen. I just bought a new black 07 wrx. I plan on going cobb stage 2. Now before going state 2 i was going to get the perrin DP front section and back section plus the perrin UP, and single tip sports exhaust. Now i was wondering if i needed anything else or if anything else was recommended before i went stage 2 or if perrin was the best choice for going stage 2. I know its not the cheapest choice but at this point that doesnt matter i prefer to spend extra cash to get quality stuff. Also how can i prevent this from voiding my WTY? Would i have to take all the stuff off and just put the stock stuff back on and reflash the ECU back to stock or what? Any help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First of all, when it comes to "quality stuff", a bent metal pipe is a bent metal pipe. You can spend 1500 bucks, or 300. People will tell you that "you get what you pay for", and I'll tell them "true, with the extra 600 bucks i saved by buying a 300 dollar Ebay turbo back, i bought and Accessport." And on top of that, i consistently have a slight edge on my neighbor with a stage 2 06 tr with a Fujitsubo catback and Cobb dp, which cost him 900, where my Ebay turbo back only cost me 300... shipped.

With that said, the perrin dp and catback are fine. Most turboback exhaust vary slightly in the hp / torque department, but as long as your getting a bellmouth dp and a 3in catback, its all ABOUT the same. As for the up pipe, the 06+ wrx's come with catless ups stock, so there is no need to replace them.

Before you go stage 2, you will need some form of Engine Management. Cobb tends to be quite popular along with UTEC, or you can go the cheaper route and get OpenECU. Without EM, stage 2 will give your car boost creep, which is harmful to the engine.

As for your warranty... forget it. Some dealerships will look past mods, but when your at stage 2, your pretty much out of a warranty. And even if you do reflash back to stock and swap the old exhaust back, its easy for a mechanic to see that the downpipe has been removed. Gotta pay to play man, good luck!
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

+1 Well stated. Most downpipes will work pretty good but stay away from a HKS downpipe.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

Cobb stage 2 here.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thank you all for replying its good to know these things. I will admit noc that you did change my perception on car parts , lol. I think i might try finding something cheaper. 04spt what mods are you running with your cobb stage 2? And whats all this i hear about people busting there trannys from all the torque they get out of stage 2?

Quote Originally Posted by j-dubx View Post
    Thank you all for replying its good to know these things. I will admit noc that you did change my perception on car parts , lol. I think i might try finding something cheaper. 04spt what mods are you running with your cobb stage 2? And whats all this i hear about people busting there trannys from all the torque they get out of stage 2?
    yeah the 06+ WRX make an absurd amount of torque in stage 2.

the first inclination people have when they get a WRX is to try out just how crazy the AWD launch is. as long as you stay away from that stuff and don't shift like you're trying to break it, your tranny should be fine.
    2002 WRX Sedan
    World Rally Blue
    OEM front lip, Cwest skirts and rear lip
    STi rear wing
    JDM Greddy turbo timer

^^^^^ What he said.

I'm laying down 290+lb/ft at Stage 2 so the car pulls like posessed in the first couple of gears but, as long as you don't drive like douche you'll be fine. Just remember..........its NOT a drag car. It wasn't meant to be, never has been designed as such, and shouldn't be used as such (for the most part ).
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dubx View Post
    Have a look at my Mods link in my sig.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal_wrx View Post
    First of all, when it comes to "quality stuff", a bent metal pipe is a bent metal pipe. You can spend 1500 bucks, or 300. People will tell you that "you get what you pay for", and I'll tell them "true, with the extra 600 bucks i saved by buying a 300 dollar Ebay turbo back, i bought and Accessport." And on top of that, i consistently have a slight edge on my neighbor with a stage 2 06 tr with a Fujitsubo catback and Cobb dp, which cost him 900, where my Ebay turbo back only cost me 300... shipped.

With that said, the perrin dp and catback are fine. Most turboback exhaust vary slightly in the hp / torque department, but as long as your getting a bellmouth dp and a 3in catback, its all ABOUT the same. As for the up pipe, the 06+ wrx's come with catless ups stock, so there is no need to replace them.

Before you go stage 2, you will need some form of Engine Management. Cobb tends to be quite popular along with UTEC, or you can go the cheaper route and get OpenECU. Without EM, stage 2 will give your car boost creep, which is harmful to the engine.

As for your warranty... forget it. Some dealerships will look past mods, but when your at stage 2, your pretty much out of a warranty. And even if you do reflash back to stock and swap the old exhaust back, its easy for a mechanic to see that the downpipe has been removed. Gotta pay to play man, good luck!
    lol, Fujitsubo catback yes, but cobb dp no, i have a TiTek dp which is knock off helix. btw i like to think we're about equal but yes for a dp its just a pipe they are all the same. Only difference will be fitment. As for the catback, they are all slightly different. Thats they only part of the exhaust i'd spend more money on, its all preference

also, you can forget about your warranty..

i have a perrin dp, up, and tbe, with the perrin short ram and i love the added power and the amazing deep sound. i would highly recommend it, i didnt care about the cost, i really love it
    2005 WRX Wagon stg 1 - 3/12 to present
    1996 BMW 328is coupe - 5/11 to present

02 WRX wagon stg 2 - history

WTB: Cobb Accessport ap-sub-001 for 2005 WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.