New member-'03 fixer-upper
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New member-'03 fixer-upper within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, I just thought I'd introduce myself. I just purchased an '03 wrx from an insurance company. I am ...

New member-'03 fixer-upper

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd introduce myself. I just purchased an '03 wrx from an insurance company. I am now getting it fixed up. It has some basic body damage, but not much at all. I can't believe it was considered totalled. I actually drove it home. It drove just perfect on the way home (besides the wind from the missing rear glass), I could even take my hands off the wheel and it wouldn't pull either way.

I'm excited about this car because it is my first real "fun" car I have had. I have always been too cheap/broke, whatever you wanna call it, to get a fun car, so instead I have gotten my speed fix from riding motorcycles. I look forward to contributing to this great forum and to getting my car back to "like new".

I've posted some pics of what the car looked like when I brought it home.

P.S. I have been active on many motorcycle forums and I know what they are about, and I must say that I'm impressed w/ this forum, and it's much better than I was thinking it would be. Very little fast and the furious wannabes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0434.jpg   100_0433.jpg   100_0429.jpg   100_0428-1.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on the new ride. And welcome to the forum.

You got a great deal I'm sure, and that will leave you a little extra to upgrades. Best first upgrade is an up-pipe. It helps the turbo spool up faster.

That's just my opinion though.

later,
    KrustyTC
    NEW ENGLAND F4
    02 WRB WRX
    Long Live The Bugeye Nation!

They considered that totaled?! That's crazy. Sweet ride for you. Happy modding
    -John
    Different Strokes
    Dirty Crew #2002
    Mods in profile.

Thanks for the welcome, and as far as mods, I forgot to mention, it already has a bit of mods done. Obviously the wheels, they look like the bbs that came as an option I think, but actually they are enkei bortex. Also, it has a full borla exhaust which sounds damn good. I'll have to check if it has an up-pipe along w/ it. Then it has a GFB deceptor BOV, it looks to be fully adjustable and I've set to full recirculation. From what I hear they really don't have much benefit other than the sound, is that right? I may end up putting it in the classifieds to trade for a stock bpv plus cash. Other than that it has a momo shift knob. Is this a factory option? I've also heard something about factory short shift...is it possible this could be it?? Any help is appreciated.

Other wise the car is really clean, looks to have been cared for, and runs smooth and great. It's got 48k miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thug Nasty View Post
    They considered that totaled?! That's crazy. Sweet ride for you. Happy modding
    Yeah I know what you mean. The problem is that whenever the body shop gets an insurance job, they have to and want to bid as high as possible. They will get all brand new oem parts and probably jack the labor up a little as well since the insurance will pay for it anyways. So when you go get a new rear glass for this, it will be somewhere between $500 to $800 brand new. Also the windshield has a couple cracks--another $2-300, bumper cover-$200, grille-$150, fender-$200, door-$400, side mirror-$200, spoiler has a small crack, and also the rear door has a couple dents/scratches to be smoothed out. These are all rough estimates, but you get the picture. Most of the times a body shop will end up quoting for a new piece, yet go find a used/aftermarket part to put on.

So the car gets totalled and I buy it for a big discount and live with a little mark that says "salvage" across the title, until it gets inspected after the repairs and it will read "prior-salvage" (or rebuilt or reconstructed in some states). I can live w/ that just fine.

That looks like a pretty good deal to fix up... congrats on the find! As for a few of your questions:

1. BOV - BOV's do more harm than anything else on these cars unless they are specifically tuned for the BOV. With yours set to recirculate, I don't think it should hurt at all. I personally would try to trade back to the stock BPV.

2. Momo shift knob - There is a Momo shift knob that was a factory option, it looks like this. I have one and like it

3. Factory short shift kit - There also is a short shifter kit available from the factory, but I don't know if it was ever packaged with the Momo knob or not. You can find more information on it in the Powertrain forum.

Good luck with the new car...

Wow...sweet find!

What did you pay for it?

Later,
    Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoDC View Post
    Hi everyone, I just thought I'd introduce myself. I just purchased an '03 wrx from an insurance company. I am now getting it fixed up. It has some basic body damage, but not much at all. I can't believe it was considered totalled. I actually drove it home. It drove just perfect on the way home (besides the wind from the missing rear glass), I could even take my hands off the wheel and it wouldn't pull either way.

I'm excited about this car because it is my first real "fun" car I have had. I have always been too cheap/broke, whatever you wanna call it, to get a fun car, so instead I have gotten my speed fix from riding motorcycles. I look forward to contributing to this great forum and to getting my car back to "like new".

I've posted some pics of what the car looked like when I brought it home.

P.S. I have been active on many motorcycle forums and I know what they are about, and I must say that I'm impressed w/ this forum, and it's much better than I was thinking it would be. Very little fast and the furious wannabes.
    Wow they totalled it out for needing a grille, grille extensions, front bumper, LF Fender and LF Door Skin?? Wow Thats kinda ridiculous.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow! Congrats and welcome!

I would get that car on a alignment rack to be sure all is OK with it.

It is good to read a new member actually understanding the BOV issue.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    BOV's and CAI's get you mad tight pr0ps y0~!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Wow! Congrats and welcome!

I would get that car on a alignment rack to be sure all is OK with it.

It is good to read a new member actually understanding the BOV issue.
    Well I first did a little research on bov's when I saw this car had one. What's crazy is how much people will pay for them I'm definately going to look to trade for a stock unit if I could make some cash for it.

Alignment is a must, it very well could be perfect but you can never really tell by just driving it. This is my 6th or 7th car I've rebuilt along with 3 motorcycles and alignment is always something you want done as soon as the cosmetics are taken care of.

Nice...

Nice deal you must have got on that one!!!!

Welcome to the forums
    It's working... it's working!!!!
    02 WRB WRX Wagon (R.I.P)
    Project 240 DIY: 93 240sx : Done
    2004 WRX Wagon

might have spotted a new bumper for you......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1855137&rd=1,1
    '04 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by ritchey555 View Post
    might have spotted a new bumper for you......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1855137&rd=1,1
    Thanks for looking out , but I can get a new one for $150 or so and this one is already bid at $190 when you include shipping, plus the seller has a bit of a rough feedback rating.

Congrats on the new ride. And welcome to the club.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast