transmission issues have me worried

This is a discussion on transmission issues have me worried within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, I have just recently put a deposit on a MT '07 limited sports wagon. I thought I was ...

transmission issues have me worried

Hi guys,

I have just recently put a deposit on a MT '07 limited sports wagon. I thought I was making a smart decision, but to be honest after reading some horror stories about the 5MT I am begining to second guess myself.

I was eventually planning to upgrade to AP stage 2 with some mild suspension mods. I am not big on racing but do like spirited driving. How much do I have to worry about this 5MT holding together?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

theres lots of threads on this. but really it all depends on how you drive. if you shift well it will last. I truly believe that people who abuse their transmissions don't even know they are. theres a ton of people who race their cars auto cross and track days rally cross and whatever else and they have no problems. so really it all depends on you. don't shock the driveline when you shift, match revs on down shifts, and for the most part you'll be fine. take her easy don't rush shifts become fluid in your motions. and remember that the subaru techs know when its been abused, I'm sure that they've seen it all.
    Infantry leads the way

I had an '02 Stage 2 for 4 years and 40k+ miles with no issues. I have an '06 now with Stage 2 (MUCH more torque than the '02) and have 6k+ miles with no issues. The key is not to drive like an idiot (slamming gears, dumping the clutch at 5,000 RPMS) and you'll be fine. Abuse it, and you'll be looking for a transmission upgrade.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

I Support ClubWRX
    Dont abuse it and you will be fine. I am pretty sure those trannies can handle a decent amount of power to the pavement without any problems, as long as your not launching all the time.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Thanks for the inputs guys ... I still think I am going do a little more reasearch before I commit. I honestly find it ridiculous that if they find you drove "with spirit" resulting in a blown trannie they will not fix it. OH well ... conservative driving here I come.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Dont abuse it and you will be fine. I am pretty sure those trannies can handle a decent amount of power to the pavement without any problems, as long as your not launching all the time.
    ^^ What he said. Be nice to the transmission - it will be nice back. You will be fine.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Ok...let me clearify something and please, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Driving spirited means you enjoy flooring it in some situations for no reason WHILE revmatching, and shifting smoothly.

Driving stupid (which most broken transmissions result from) is when you enjoy flooring it AND dumping the clutch often to get that extra .1 second boost of power from the jerk of the transmission trying to adjust to the engine speed.

Basically, spirited means you enjoy accelerating faster then an average person normally would accelerate while keeping your car's health in mind.
    CGM 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sold
    WRB 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Hawk-Eye alliance #100.1

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ ^ pushing the vehicle any more than any normal person would do to conserve gasoline is driving spirited.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by wagon_luver View Post
    Hi guys,

I have just recently put a deposit on a MT '07 limited sports wagon. I thought I was making a smart decision, but to be honest after reading some horror stories about the 5MT I am begining to second guess myself.

I was eventually planning to upgrade to AP stage 2 with some mild suspension mods. I am not big on racing but do like spirited driving. How much do I have to worry about this 5MT holding together?
    I have 53000 miles on my wagon putting 292 horsepower to the wheels. Have pulled nearly 75 runs at cecil county dragway in MD. I used to launch with care, and then I just said to heck with it. I'll launch at 6000 rpms. Transmission and clutch holding up just fine. Maybe this one is an exception, but so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by draginwagon View Post
    I have 53000 miles on my wagon putting 292 horsepower to the wheels. Have pulled nearly 75 runs at cecil county dragway in MD. I used to launch with care, and then I just said to heck with it. I'll launch at 6000 rpms. Transmission and clutch holding up just fine. Maybe this one is an exception, but so far so good.
    ^^^you should add a disclaimer to that

The 07s are supposed to be a little stronger than the 02 and 03s which people have claimed to have "problems" with...just make sure you are good with your shifting and take care of it...you'll be fine.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Welcome to the club. Dont abuse it and you will be fine.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #888