Potential WRX Owner Seeks Info

This is a discussion on Potential WRX Owner Seeks Info within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi. I'm a newbie seeking knowledge from the wise. I've got an opportunity to buy my friend's 2002 WRX wagon. ...

Potential WRX Owner Seeks Info

Hi. I'm a newbie seeking knowledge from the wise.

I've got an opportunity to buy my friend's 2002 WRX wagon. It's a five speed with about 60K miles on it. He's kept it in excellent condition and hasn't modified it or beat on it since he bought it. He's asking 12K for it. I've had V8s for most of my life, so I'm pretty clueless as to how many miles I can get out of the 2.0, what the known problems are and how hard it would be to fix them with a well equipped garage. Any info you guys can provide would be most appreciated.

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

The 2.0 will see at least as much service as a domestic V8. There are no real problems with the engine. The 5 speed can be an issue as they sometimes do not take abuse well. You would be best to search out the answers as there is much info to be found here.

Start here: Maintenance, service, troubleshooting, and basic repair
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Yeah, engine wise these things seem to be pretty ironclad...its the transmission IMO that is the weak spot although people will debate that....the '02-03's had clutch shudder covered under the TSB's.
    I love mine, just wish I could have more confidence in the tranny.
    Body integrity seems to hold up pretty good as well. One thing is for sure, the engine is pretty easy to work on, especially given it is a Japanese car where the bay is to tight.

Thanks for the responses and the link, guys. I hate to admit it, but I've started to slow down these past few years, both biologically and in my driving, so I probably wouldn't beat on the car that much. Especially if I know the tranny can't handle it. I'm looking for dependable transportation with the extra power for when I need it, plus the all wheel drive would make the crappy Massachusetts weather that much more bearable. The abundance of aftermarket performance parts makes it attractive as well.

Registered User project_skyline's Avatar
    IF you don't drive it too hard that often and you don't add too much power to it you could get about 200k miles out of it before you have to start fixing things.

Wow. I knew they were good motors, but I didn't realize they had that kind of endurance. Another strong selling point. My V8s will always last till at least 190K, but by then, the tranny or the body or the brakes or the suspension or all of the above are gone.

All of my experience with Subaru's comes from the late 70's/early 80's when there were a few 4x4 Subarus running around my home town. They were legendary machines back then even. My aunt had a Yama Yagi 4x4 wagon that ran forever, an acquaintance had an original Brat (with the bucket seats in back) that took every beating he ever gave it, and another friend had a 4x4 wagon that we used to constantly attempt to get stuck. We'd pile in the thing like a clown car and drive around the bog roads, on fire roads in the deep woods, through sandpits and it rarely got stuck. If it got stuck, we'd pile out and push or lift it out of the problem. I think he finally killed it by driving too far away from the shore in one of the ponds in town.

As I recall, the only problem any of those Subarus had was that you needed to adjust the valvetrain every once in a while. Other than that, we used to joke that all you had to do was keep winding it up and it would keep going.

I just got my 02 ... I love it ... I got it from a dealership but don't know the previous owners. One of them tampered with a few things but the car is currently stock. I think things were modified at one point and the previous owner reverted it back to stock when trading the vehicle in. It seems to be treated fairly well and still has plenty of pep left in it. I love it . .still haven't decided gender, or a name yet ... but I know it'll come soon.