Looking to buy a subaru...

This is a discussion on Looking to buy a subaru... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I am looking into buying a car as I can't stand the '03 Lancer that I own now. I ...

Looking to buy a subaru...

Hi, I am looking into buying a car as I can't stand the '03 Lancer that I own now. I have been looking at the wrx sedan and the sti. With the money I have available now I could either get a new wrx or a used sti. I can't seem to decide which car to go after though. I am afraid to buy a used sti that may not have been broken in properly or been driven too hard.

After reading several posts here I noticed that many people simply get the wrx and mod it to boost the performance, but as I know hardly anything about modding cars I am leaning towards a simple stock sti.

Right now, in my area, there is a '06 Blue STi with 12.5k miles selling for $28.5k. Anyone have any suggestions on which car to get?

P.S. If you guys need any other info from me to help me decide, just let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would go out on a limb and say that 90% of the people will tell you to go for the sti simply because of what you get.

Better Suspension
    Better Brakes
    Lightyears better Transmission
    Better Tires
    Better motor

Just better!!!

If you can afford the STi, go for it. The amount of money that you would need to make the WRX equivalent is not worth it. I own a WRX by the way so I am not biased.

Oh yeah, that doesn't sound like that great of a price for a used 06 Sti. Although this can get pricey if you continuously look at cars, get a qualified mechanic to check out your potentials to limit the chance of you getting a lemon.

I am in the same boat as you, and I decided on getting a used STI,
    the 2005 models I like best, I found one with 25K miles for $25K.
    I am going to take it in to a reputable tuner and have him do a compression test, leakdown test and inspect the car.

IF ONLY for the peace of mind of having a strong transmission, its worth it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Many opt for the STi for the stock go fast goodies. Just how fast of a car do you really want / need?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thanks for the welcome and the quick replies .

As for how fast a car I need/want? I don't really need a fast car, but I like knowing that once I become more experienced with driving the car I will have a car with enough juice to quench my thirst.

Also, what would be a good price for an '06 STi with say, under 20k miles?? I have been looking at autotrader.com almost every day and I am seeing '04-'05 STi's for around $26k-28k.

My budget right now is around $27-29k. What do you think I could get with that?

Although it's not the supreme being of car prices, according to Kelly Blue book, private party value should be around 27K at the highest in excellent stock condition.

One more question: If the car is being sold by a dealership, can I assume that everything is in proper working order or would I need to still get it checked out by a tuner?? For instance the STi I was looking at is being sold at www.formula1miami.com.

I would opt for an '07 at least that way you'll have peace of mind it's new and there aren't any problems. I got my 07' for $34,600 OTD which is not that far off from $28.5k
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #888