just picked up an 02
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on just picked up an 02 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm totally new to the turbo industry...I guess I can't say I know much about anything else . I have ...

just picked up an 02

I'm totally new to the turbo industry...I guess I can't say I know much about anything else . I have about 94,000 on the new (used) wrx, I'm just wondering what is the safest mods I can do to the car. I want to keep the stock exhaust on the car...I can't handle the exhaust noise anymore, even tho I hear it's not too bad. Just want a little more pick up and go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    There a tons of threads about good first mods. Try searching a bit, its your best friend on this website. The exhaust sound that comes from a WRX is very unique you should check out some sound clips. It sounds nothing like the honda you are coming from.

Welcome to the club! The best places to look for information about first mods are to search and to look around at the sticky's in different forums. To start you off, here's a good link about first mods.

Thanks for the info. There is just so many different opinion...so I just want the straight up safe and good mods. Hopefully you understand what I mean. At this point, everything sounds good. Just need help making the right decision.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Welcome to the the club...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #888

Welcome to the Club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Welcome to the club...also, make sure you have your car looked over before you go modding as many "stock" WRXs were not always stock and you may need to tidy things up first.

it's going to be hard to pick up more power without changing out the restrictive exhaust system.

there are many little other things that'll make the car that much more enjoyable though. here are some very good bang-for-the-buck mods:

- short shifter + bushings
    - steering rack bushings
    - fender braces
    - swaybars + bushings
    - springs

stay away from intakes, blow off valves, and boost controllers.
    also you're kind of at high mileage and wanted to remind you that if you need to replace your clutch, stick with OEM factory. if you try to upgrade to a beefier clutch your transmission will die an early death.
    2002 WRX Sedan
    World Rally Blue
    OEM front lip, Cwest skirts and rear lip
    STi rear wing
    JDM Greddy turbo timer

how do you feel about cobb tuning? any recommendations? and is it safe or benefit to the car to remove the intake silencer? also is it necessary for me to get a turbo timer? changing the Upper P and Down P and keeping the rest of the exhaust system do me any good or any suggestions? thanks for the advices.
    Last edited by 920wrx; 01-28-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 920wrx View Post
    how do you feel about cobb tuning? any recommendations? and is it safe or benefit to the car to remove the intake silencer? also is it necessary for me to get a turbo timer? changing the Upper P and Down P and keeping the rest of the exhaust system do me any good or any suggestions? thanks for the advices.
    I also have an 02 (auto trans) WRX and I found replacing the stock up-pipe made a huge difference. Especially with lag. I get just about zero lag now with the Turbo XS up-pipe I bought off of a forum member here.

later,
    KrustyTC
    NEW ENGLAND F4
    02 WRB WRX
    Long Live The Bugeye Nation!

Quote Originally Posted by 920wrx View Post
    I've been running Cobb Stage 1 map on my '02 for a little while now and I love it. I think you'll find that Cobb has a great reputation around here. If you get a catless uppipe and bellmouth downpipe you could use the Cobb Stage 2 map and that's an amazing improvement in performance over stock.
    '02 PSM WRX Sedan, Cobb AP V1 Stg.1, Perrin UPP, Borla XR-1, and plenty more.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.