New Member - Thinking about a Purchase...help

This is a discussion on New Member - Thinking about a Purchase...help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, I'm a new member interesting in purchasing a WRX or a WRX STi. I currently have a BMW X5 ...

New Member - Thinking about a Purchase...help

Hey, I'm a new member interesting in purchasing a WRX or a WRX STi. I currently have a BMW X5 4.6is, but I want to get into a car. My issue is going from an SUV into a car that will still have a great amount of power. My X5 has over 340 horsepower so I want something I know I can speed around in, but can still handle as well as a top of the line car should.

Would the owners of a WRX in this site help me out here? I want to know if I should look into the WRX, a 2003 BMW 330Ci (great for mods), a 2001 or 2002 BMW M3, or a 2001 BMW 540i. Does anyone have any opinion on these or any info in general? Anything helps.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My friends has an X5 and I agree they're fast
    In terms of modding the STI would be the best choice
    I looked at M3's before purchasing my 06 WRX and decided that the reliability wasn't there, especially if they'd been beat on
    Just know that Subaru isn't as luxurios as the car you're coming from
    All I care about is performance though
    Your call and good luck
    HAWKEYE ALLIANCE # 036
    -The Cooler Ray

I am coming from experience as a BMW owner and driver in the past. I only had a 318i, but it handled amazingly. But...nothing compares in any of the cars I have had, to my STI. The performance is uncanny. They respond amazingly well to mods at a relatively good prices. They last and they're maintenace is nowhere near as expensive as BMWs (until you get to brakes at least). If you were to say add a turbo or supercharger to your BMW...we're talking near 10g to have it done right. To upgrade an already powerful and awesome turbo'd engine of an STI, its a couple grand. Major difference...

Don't get me wrong, I have always wanted an M3 since I knew what a car was because it really is my absolute favorite, but I got a chance to get an STI and couldn't be happier. thats my two pennies...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

germany vs japan

I went from a Kompressor to a WRX so here's what I got to tell you.

1. Forget about the driving comfort you have in your X5. The power/ride stability of BMW, Mercedes, and Audi cannot be matched by anything on the Japanese market. In a lot of instances, the tuning in German cars is so precise that even less power models (330i for instance) feel like they put out considerably more than what they have. You will sacrafice comfort.

2. Be prepare to pay out of your a$$ in parts for upgrades to the 3 and 5 series. Your average upgrade is gonna cost you at least 50% more bottom line, although the rewards of those upgrades on a BMW will be very noticeable.

The WRX is extremely agile, and you will not have any problems ripping through traffic like a madman even in a stock WRX (non-sti). My vote is go for the STI because of the better suspension/brakes combos that they start with. However, if you're mostly a highway driver and you have $ to spend (at least 50% highway), as much as I love the WRX I will say that YOU SHOULD STICK WITH GERMAN for that sort of driving because although your STI baby will stomp the crap out of 100% of Beemers on the road (with the exception of M3/M5), you're not going to achieve the handling, smoothness, and precision of a german-made horsie.

If you're down with the coupes go with the M3, it smokes. The AWD of the WRX is superior off-road but there's no need to dabble in AWD for high performance street driving so any BMW will treat you right there. Just make sure that if you're buying it for aggressive driving you're buying it from the original owner!

Cheerz.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I dont have anything to say about german cars because I havent had much experience with them other than a GTI and even that was for a couple days. I owned an 06 WRX which was a fabulous car and Pretty damn spunky for what it cost. I had just recently traded her in for an 07 STI and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ........WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS RIGHT AWAY. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOO worth kickin in the extra 10g for the STI instead of settling for the WRX. The suspension is stiff which can be a little too much on ****ty roads but the handling is awsome. As far as mods go.....it does seem like there is limitted amount of products for the new stuff.
    MEGATTILLA Evo Killa
    HAWKEYE ALLIANCE#48

What car should you buy?

Hello I drive many different cars from Z8s to Acura nsx's I drove both the sti and evo. Those two cars are just amazing for the price. I like the sti because it felt a little smaller and more personal,soI bought an sti and it was the best thing I ever did. Test drive the sti you will agree.

I Support ClubWRX
    Driven all you put on your list and would buy an 07 wrx or sti limited. That way you still get to keep some comfort while gaining the performance over the x5. BMW's cost 5x more than they should too tune, while the I-6 and v-8 are just rediculously expensive to work on.

Buy STI LTD go stage 2
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE