Yet another noob - with questions (surprise)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Yet another noob - with questions (surprise) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, Picked up my new 07 WRX wagon tonight. Needed something practical and fun at the same time to ...

Yet another noob - with questions (surprise)

Hey all,

Picked up my new 07 WRX wagon tonight. Needed something practical and fun at the same time to help split time with my M3 and take up cold and bad weather duty.
    Really impressed with the car so far. I've test driven quite a few WRX's in the past but finally bit the bullet today.
    So here is the typical stupid question:
    My other car is pretty hopped up, primarily for track use (coilovers, camber plates, sways, bushings, brakes, harness, some engine mods, etc.). I’ve long been active in the Bimmer mod/DIY world (my site for that is www.bmwm3.org)
    I don't really want/need to do much in the way of suspension on the WRX to start. I want to get a feel for it on a track day or two and then figure out things from there. I would like to get a bit more "pep" out of the thing. I am aware of Cobb but stage I seems to be more of a "drivability" upgrade rather than a real power gain. Vishnu seems to make big promises but there does not seem to be a lot of info about their products here. For now I don’t want to make the car any louder, etc. Any thoughts?
    Also, an odd question - anyone know of a cover or something for the rear seat? This thing will also double as my "dog mobile" for my 2 German Shepherds.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

nice pickup on the car

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by madrex View Post
    Also, an odd question - anyone know of a cover or something for the rear seat? This thing will also double as my "dog mobile" for my 2 German Shepherds.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
    Mike, we own 3 dogs including a GSD. As you know the GSD sheds continuously and their fur can get in between the fibres of a seat, making it very difficult to remove. I recommend you not rely only on a seat cover for the rear seat. If your rear headrests are the removable type, look into a product called the Duragear Pet Travel Hammock (duragear@duragearproducts.com). This is a sturdy, liquid-repellent hammock that uses the rear seat headrests and the front seat headrests to attach and protects the top and bottom of the rear seats AND the backs of the front seats. Also, any pet store will have a seat cover made of similar material for the back seat, and you can use that underneath the hammock if you want. The trouble with the conventional seat covers is not only that the rear side of the front seats is unprotected, but also that the cover itself tends to come off. That's why I've resorted to a two-pronged approach. The hammock also has a couple storage pockets, and it uses a zipper to allow seat folding and/or use over only part of the rear seat area. Highly recommended.

http://duragearproducts.com/seat_covers.htm

I've also seen covers for the rear door cards that attache via suction cups to the rear door glass, but I was in a hurry and didn't just buy the stuff when I ran across it, and now I can't find it any more. I think the more you cover the better off you'll be, it's just a matter of getting something that is easy to put on and take off. Another thought I've had is to either get a set of junk headrests or make headrest cozies since the headrests themselves get fur and drool on them.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 01-18-2007 at 12:51 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Suspension and Handling << Our best resource for suspension info.

Cobb delivers on their claims. I have their stage 2 package and would highly recommend it. Countless others here would agree.

Vishnu's WRX products cannot compete with Cobb.

Electronic Engine Management
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

For power gains, you could go Cobb AP and do Stage II by coupling the Stage II map with an aftermarket downpipe. Leave the stock catback or axelback exhaust and you will retain a lot of sound-dampening properties. This will be good for an extra 25+ whp and will make for a good turbo spool. You will actually hear the turbo a little better as well. Aggressive, soudns good, and nice

Suspension, start with some larger swaybars and some endlinks are always a plus!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    For power gains, you could go Cobb AP and do Stage II by coupling the Stage II map with an aftermarket downpipe. Leave the stock catback or axelback exhaust and you will retain a lot of sound-dampening properties. This will be good for an extra 25+ whp and will make for a good turbo spool. You will actually hear the turbo a little better as well. Aggressive, soudns good, and nice

Suspension, start with some larger swaybars and some endlinks are always a plus!
    This would also be my recommendation for a nice, solid mod path that still leaves the car virtually stock sounding.
    A few minor additons you may want to consider:
    Removal of the resonator in the air intake. Although this will produce more noise, it is a very good audible feedback to what the engine is doing without having the brash noise of an aftermarket TBE. I think you will pretty impressed with the change in torque when you go stage 2 on a Cobb AP. It is truly night and day difference.
    Another cheap upgrade which I'm sure you will appreciate are some SS brake lines, some Ferodo 2500 S pads (front only is really all you need) and some motul blue brake fluid. Since you are obviously an experienced track guy, this is likely already on your list. The WRX does experience pretty significant fade after about a 10 minute all out track session (not AutoX), so in my eyes, this is usually the upgrade I perform FIRST (yes...even on my STi).
    Toss in a short throw shifter and bushings so you aren't abusing the trans as much, a decent set of rubber (used STi treads are perfect for the WRX on track days and extremely sticky), and you'll find you have a pretty competent track car that is great as a daily driver too.

None of these items are real budget killers either. You should be able to collect it all and install it yourself for around 2K. Maybe a bit more depending on the name brand.

I made these same upgrades on my old STi and in going head to head with an instructor at Summit with his E46 M3 with some mild upgrades, I was pulling roughly 3 seconds a lap on him. With the 2.5 platform of the 07 WRX, the potential is there (just a turbo/manifold/tmic swap away).
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 01-18-2007 at 03:08 PM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

^^^^ The man is good...definitely quality recommendations from a much more experienced person than me...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Thanks for all the info guys...

SD_GR - I picked up a cheap "hammock" at a local pet store. I'll give it a shot since I have to drag them with me tomorrow anyway. If it does not work out your link certainly looks good.

YB - Where in PA are you? I've run at Summit in the past. I had a Laguna Blue 01 at the time (now have a black 04). Who was the instructor you spanked (so I can bust his balls if I know him) - I drove an STi at VIR and gained a healthy dose of respect for the car: Very different animal from the M. If they made an STi wagon Subaru would have had my money a long time earlier than last night :-) That would be one fun stable with the M.
    I think I'm going to put a few miles on the Rex before playing with any changes. It's really a daily driver/winter car so I don't want to go nuts with it. I've had good luck with Axxis Ultimates on my M3 on the street - no experience with Fedoro pads at all. Motul blue? You mean ATE Super Blue? The Motul I'm used to running with is RBF600. I just use the ATE TYP 200 much of the time which is the same as SUper Blue without the blue dye (does not stain the reservoir or make as much of a mess).

Cheers

Mike
    Mike - Central PA
    07 WRX Wagon - Garnet Red

I Support ClubWRX
    Mike,
    Oddly enough, the instructors name was Mike also...Mike Simms I believe, but don't quote me on that.
    I understand about driving it a bit before doing anything drastic. However, a few things you will likely note right away:

For some reason, the ECU programmers can't seem to get a nice smooth balance on the electronic throttle, fuel injections, and timeing. You'll likely notice a few "bumps" or rough spots in the acceleration/torque curve as you accelerate in the car. Every USDM boosted Subaru I've owned (3 to date) has had this quirk and I found it very annoying...almost like a an older single coil carburated car that had incorrect jets or a cracked distributor.

I'm not sure if you have checked out Cobb's website yet, but they have a stage 1 map flash that provides a bit more HP and torque, but to me, the main benefit of this flash is that it significantly smooths out the power band, and also makes moves the curves a bit over to the left and lets them hang out longer on the right. Give it a few days or weeks and I think you'll notice what I'm talking about.

The beauty of the Cobb AP is it's ability to step with you as you advance down your mod path. Stage 1 can be simply a reflash. Stage 2 is a second map (free) and a DP (mimimum requirements). Stage 3 and 4 are whatever mods you desire with the addition of the Protune software or you can self tune yourself with the addition of the street tuner software.

Just wanted to make you aware of this. I've used the AP on all my USDM subarus, stopping at stage 2, and have put a combined +100K on this setup with no issues at all.

This is by no means meant to infer that that there aren't other EMS out there that work just as well. None of them though, offer the initial low cost of the AP for those who want to "slowly" modify their daily driver.

As for the brake fluid, since I was tracking alot, and thus, swapping out my brake fluid frequently, I chose to go with the Motul blue and red, (rbf600) so I could see when the flush was complete. It does tend to stain the reservoir though.

I've used the Axis ultimates also and they are excellent pads too. I found the Ferodo's to be a more capable track pad though, and a pretty good daily driver pad. They squeal a bit more than the axis pads, and on cold days, you did have to be conscious of getting a bit of warmth into them, but they are never "OMG I can't stop" because they are too cold. And they lasted about twice as long as the axis. As you know, these aren't cheap.

Let us know how things go with you. BTW....how would you compare VIR to Summit? I never got a chance to get down there. I've hit Summit, Beavertown, Butler, MIS, Road Atlanta, and Silverstone (in my STi Spec C RA to less!!!)
    Last edited by YBNormal07; 01-19-2007 at 07:40 AM.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Hello and welcome to the club!!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #888

Quote Originally Posted by Ballz View Post
    Hello and welcome to the club!!
    +1 post some pics
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Just a quick snap from when it was still clean from the dealership - covered with crud already - ended up being great timing with the crappy, snowy weather in this part of the country since I picked it up. Pardon the mess in the garage....

YB - VIR is bigger and faster with less elevation changes. I did a nice spin between 1 and 2 some time ago there in a 98 M3. I really need to get back out on the track (any track at this point). I only got a few days in at the Glen last year and some cone dodging.
    Mike - Central PA

^^^^ WHAT COLOR IS THAT????

Is that new? Its gorgeous...looks like a burnt orange type color. My personal favorite color ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    ^^^^ WHAT COLOR IS THAT????

Is that new? Its gorgeous...looks like a burnt orange type color. My personal favorite color ever...
    The color is Garnet Red Pearl - I'm fairly fond of it as well. I'm way too much of a Subie noob to know if it's a new color for the car. Thanks for the props!
    Mike - Central PA

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.