newbie...

This is a discussion on newbie... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; good day, I'm planning to buy a new wrx sti. what are the things to watch out? wrx sti here ...

newbie...

good day, I'm planning to buy a new wrx sti. what are the things to watch out? wrx sti here in the philippines is as per order basis though they have ordinary wrx. what i mean to say is, it's very easy to put the STI sticker. aside from that there are things about adaptable ecu's which makes me confuse. anyway, i'm just afraid i'm not getting the right wrx sti. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

There are many visual differences between the WRX and the STi besides badging.

The STi interior has blue carpeting and blue / black seats with an STi logo stitched into them. The WRX has gray carpet and black seats.

Have a look a look and the hundreds of images we have here and you will quickly see what to look for.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

i have already read some posts, in fact i've been a lurker here before i signed in. you guys have tons of information regarding sti's though i could not picture out some since as of now i don't have the car yet. i just missed the first batch for ordering this year, next batch will be this coming march and literally have to wait another 3 months for the unit delivery. just hope the subaru fire in me will still be raging. btw, do you know what the 2008 model will look like?

Welcome to the Club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Hey.. the Philippines! Kamusta ka? (translation for the masses: how are you)

Here are the 08 spy shots: http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...subaru-impreza

I've read in other car magazines that a sedan is still in the works, but only time will tell.

Isn't there an official Subaru dealership around? I would hope they don't scam people by selling non-STis as STis. Check other official Subaru websites for the details and specifications so you know what too look for when its time to get it.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 01-18-2007 at 09:48 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Hey.. the Philippines! Kamusta ka? (translation for the masses: how are you)

Here are the 08 spy shots: http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...subaru-impreza

I've read in other car magazines that a sedan is still in the works, but only time will tell.

Isn't there an official Subaru dealership around? I would hope they don't scam people by selling non-STis as STis. Check other official Subaru websites for the details and specifications so you know what too look for when its time to get it.
    it's komusta ka. anyway, good to hear that there are people trying to learn our dialect

going back to topic. there's only one subaru dealer here (Motor Image Philippines) located in manila. since sti's are uncommon here, plus the fact that they only introduce this brand last year there's a probability for scammers. there's also a question of sti's reliability. it'll be hard for me to avail of subaru's trained personnel since my place is nearly 2000 km away from manila and we're a scattered island country. most likely, the maintenance will be handled by a non-subaru personnel. anyway, these are just some of the questions that i need to clarify first before shelling out money. for some who wants to know the sti's figure here, it's $48,000.00 way above $33,000.00 in US.

Well you don't have to worry about the reliability of a Subaru. You just need to take care of the basic maintenace. Oil changes, fluids, tires, etc. That shouldn't be a problem. And as long as you don't beat the hell out of your car (spirited driving is not considered beating the hell outta your car), it should last. STIs are only getting better. I have a 2007 and absolutely LOVE it...goodluck!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Welcome to the club.

I'm not sure about all of the standard equipment that your version of the STi has, but based on the USA/UK/JDM versions that I know of there are 4 big and expensive parts that cannot be faked. Do look at a local WRX to know what the "plain car" looks like.

Intercooler: It should be larger than a plain WRX. Here it has STi cleanly panted on top.

Brakes: Big Brembo 4 piston calipers up front and 2 piston in the back. The rotors are large too, and the car will have 17" dia rims as a minimum. A front kit for these in the US aftermarket is ~$2300.

6 speed transaxle: No way to fake a gear and this box is about $6000 US.

Inverted struts: This may, or may not be an improvement given the clunking problems, but it's not a cheap swap to STi parts.

Subaru has offered 5 speed boxes and smaller brakes in some markets for homolagation reasons. You have to do your homework not to get scammed.

Oh, the only "problems" I have had were with the brake pads and clutch. I wore them out just beyond the warranty and had to pay for them myself. It's the driver...

Best of luck.

Maintenance thought:

You probably have a good mechanic locally even if they are not a Subaru tech. For a few hundred (~$400 for my 04) you can buy a US manual in English. It might be a good idea to get the local manual to loan your mechanic. We are only as good as our tools.
    Last edited by Web Foot STi; 01-19-2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Maintenance thought:
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

LOL.. my bad with the spelling... I'm Filipino, but my tagalog spelling is not up to par at all.

It's funny because the STI is also $48,000 here in Canada... Anyway, don't worry about the reliability factor because Subarus are very reliable. If you're worried about handing over your Subaru to local mechanics you can always do the basic maintenance yourself. Most Subaru websites have the maintenance schedule available and they list what needs to be done.

You can also get the official full service manuals from Subaru here for $35 USD in .pdf format to help you out: http://techinfo.subaru.com/html/index.jsp You get 72 hrs access to the downloads which you can save. Its very useful when you want to follow factory instructions and specs. I know its from the US and you'll probably be sold the JDM STI (2.0L engine as opposed to 2.5L in North America), but they all should follow the same torque specifications, procedures and diagrams (I assume -- correct me if I'm wrong).

Keep us posted and make sure you post pictures when you get it.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 01-19-2007 at 08:21 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Hello there. Where are you at in the philippines? Im a filipina by the way. But welcome!!

thanks web foot. those item you listed is sure scam proof. i will take note of that when i go back to manila (probably march when the sti's arrive). though i've seen sti during my last visit (december 2006), it's just i'm too naive about subaru. i was looking for an evo back then.

drummerboy, it's this government tax scheme which makes this car very expensive. i would not matter if the philippine roads is somehow70 percent comparable to germany's auto bahn. btw, subaru philippines is offering the 2.5 engine. pics? when i have the authority to drive it home .

jbize, hello too ma'm. i reside in davao city. thanks for the welcome.