First time Subie buyer

This is a discussion on First time Subie buyer within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi! I'm new to clubwrx and wanted to know a few things about Subies. Ive been in the tuner world ...

First time Subie buyer

Hi! I'm new to clubwrx and wanted to know a few things about Subies. Ive been in the tuner world for about 2 years now, so i have a good bit of knowledge and i read pretty much all spocom magazines available. I had a 1995 honda prelude Si with a H22 swap and other crap done to it. Its finally pissed me off enough that Im getting rid of it to buy a bone stock 2002 rex.

My question: how much power can the stock internals handle SAFELY. I want to buy the VF-22 turbo when I get the car and have it installed as well as a GReddy Profec e01 EBC, HKS turbo timer, carbon ti exhaust, and SSQV BOV. Also a Extreme dimensions CF OEM hood and seibon CF trunklid and OEM spoiler and GReddy strut tower bars front and rear.

Is this a good way to start off with a good running WRX? Like I said, I dont have a lot of knowledge about Subaru, but I fell in love with this car when I used to read Motor Trend when it was first introduced in America. Any tips for me? Thanks in advance to everyone who responds.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02BugEye View Post
    Hi! I'm new to clubwrx and wanted to know a few things about Subies. Ive been in the tuner world for about 2 years now, so i have a good bit of knowledge and i read pretty much all spocom magazines available. I had a 1995 honda prelude Si with a H22 swap and other crap done to it. Its finally pissed me off enough that Im getting rid of it to buy a bone stock 2002 rex.

My question: how much power can the stock internals handle SAFELY. I want to buy the VF-22 turbo when I get the car and have it installed as well as a GReddy Profec e01 EBC, HKS turbo timer, carbon ti exhaust, and SSQV BOV. Also a Extreme dimensions CF OEM hood and seibon CF trunklid and OEM spoiler and GReddy strut tower bars front and rear.

Is this a good way to start off with a good running WRX? Like I said, I dont have a lot of knowledge about Subaru, but I fell in love with this car when I used to read Motor Trend when it was first introduced in America. Any tips for me? Thanks in advance to everyone who responds.

Scratch the Turbo timer (subarus dont need them), boost controller (your engine managment will take care of it).

The link weak in the subi drivetrane is the tranny. The engine will handle way more power than the tranny.
    Use the search feature, the newb forums, and read read read.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

If you get an 02, get a late 02 like I did. March 2002 and up had the wider gears, which helps a bit with the tranny problems.

It is important to note that as of March of 2002 (build date) the Subaru 5MT swapped over to RA width gears. If your transmission code is TY754VN2AA you have the narrow gears. If you have transmission code TY754VN2BA you have the wider gears. So many 2002 and some 2003 (model year) users switching to newer gears would not only get new gears, but stronger gears. Cryo treatment for a complete gear set including shifting forks is around $50. Shot peening for a complete gear set including shifting forks is around $150.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665334
    Wheel Painting Guide
    Bugeye Mafia Mbr #86 Takin it to da matresses.....

Kennett Fire Company No. 1 Station 24

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

As stated above; skip the turbo timer, boost controller and the BOV.

There are many threads that will help you - try these forums first:

Electronic Engine Management

Engine Performance

Strut tower bars are not needed nearly as much as other suspension components. Good wheels / tires, sway bars (rear first) and stiffer springs are what to start with. The OEM struts do not perform as well with large amounts of drop – 1.5” is about right up front - 1" for the rear.

Suspension and Handling

Have fun!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics