a couple silly questions

This is a discussion on a couple silly questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so, i just picked up an '05 WRX, and i love it! But there are a couple of things im ...

a couple silly questions

so, i just picked up an '05 WRX, and i love it! But there are a couple of things im not sure of.

1. There is a guage on the left side of the dash that is im assuming the turbo boost guage. but, im not sure what the numbers mean and when it is doing something and what it is doing. (and it is not shown in the manual?)

2. Do subaru's not have the option to turn the traction control off?

yes, silly "noob" questions, but if someone could give me a hand i'd appreciate it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome, I have an 05 too!
    Last edited by Subie do; 01-07-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: TheJ's post > mine

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Welcome to the Club!

The stock boost gauges, on both of my WRX & STi, measures in MPa. "MPa" is Megapascals (The pascal unit is named after Blaise Pascal, the eminent French mathematician, physicist, and philosopher noted for his experiments with a barometer. The name pascal was adopted for the SI unit newton per square metre by the 14th CGPM in 1971.)

The conversion of Mpa into psi is basically: .10 MPa = 14.5 psi (Actually it's more like 14.503770000000001 psi, but 14.5 is close enough.). Or you could always just go to one of the many conversion calculators on the web like this one. As far as what it is going on when the gauge is moving... That's a little more then I feel like typing at the moment but read here.

Although some Subarus do, WRXs don't have "traction control". They do use a continuous/symmetrical AWD system which does help you to not lose traction but it's not the same thing. WRX models equipped with 5-speed manual transmission utilize a viscous-type limited-slip rear differential with torque distribution normally configured at a 50/50-split front-to-rear. If wheel speed differs between front and rear axles, the system helps distribute power to the wheels with the most traction. Variable Torque Distribution is in WRX models equipped with 4-speed automatic transmission. They utilize an electronically controlled variable transfer clutch in conjunction with a planetary-type center differential. However, it is not a traction control system in the traditional sense as it does not apply brake or change throttle input. It shifts torque.

The STi has a DCCD (Driver Controlled Center Differential) All-Wheel Drive, with both manual & automatic modes. It uses an electronically managed multiplate transfer clutch and a mechanical limited-slip differential in conjunction with a planetary gear-type center differential to control power distribution between the front and rear wheels. Sensors monitor parameters such as wheel slippage, steering angle, throttle position and braking to determine torque distribution and direct it to the wheels with the best traction but it doesn't reduce throttle or apply brake. DCCD also features a helical-type limited-slip front differential and a Torsen limited-slip rear differential. However, like the WRX the STi still does not have a "traction control" system either.

Go to the Subaru website and click on the "what makes a Subaru, a Subaru?" link at the bottom. It actually has very good explanations of all the Subaru systems with animation too. I don't want to sound like the typical "Do a search n00b" poohead... but the search button really is your friend. Go read ALL of the stickies on this site and others like nasioc. Do a lot of reading/searching. Bookmark pages like this one, (this one & this one) to refer back to, as you will have questions again as time goes by and you learn more. Good luck & again welcome to the club!

Last edited by TheJ; 01-22-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Grammar correction & add pic.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ Great post above!

Welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    ^^ Great post above!
    Thanks. I'm here for teh newbies. or is that bewbies...?
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

J basically covered it.

You have a lot to learn young Bryant
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    J basically covered it.

You have a lot to learn young Bryant
    +1
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #888