Noob with problems
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Noob with problems within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night I picked up a used 2003 wrx and on the way home from the dealer the boost goes ...

Noob with problems

Last night I picked up a used 2003 wrx and on the way home from the dealer the boost goes out. I mean when at idle it's reading -.05 and at full throttle it hit 0. This is my first turbo car (I been more into bikes than cars) and I checked around and everyone tells me I have a leak. This morning I call the dealer and they say there mechanic won't be in until monday. I have been looking for a leak for hours and can't fid anything, I guess it would help if I knew what I was lookin at. Oh well I just wanted to introduce myself. Here are a few pics of my toys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5030170.JPG   S5030169.JPG   S5030135.JPG   S5030171.JPG  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what i always did on my turbo civic to spot leaks is spray a little water on the couplers. Pull the throttle cable and if you see air bubbles, theres your leak.

What turbo is on there?

Seems to me you bought an upgraded turbo wrx that was used. I would expect to see some problems in the future. Namely, your tranny blowing out. Hopefully all will be good though.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club!

Nice toy collection. Creepy username.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Dahmer View Post
    Last night I picked up a used 2003 wrx and on the way home from the dealer the boost goes out. I mean when at idle it's reading -.05 and at full throttle it hit 0. This is my first turbo car (I been more into bikes than cars) and I checked around and everyone tells me I have a leak. This morning I call the dealer and they say there mechanic won't be in until monday. I have been looking for a leak for hours and can't fid anything, I guess it would help if I knew what I was lookin at. Oh well I just wanted to introduce myself. Here are a few pics of my toys.
    Get it to their mechanic and let him sort out the problem. That's what the warranty is for. I know it's hard not to bang your head against a wall trying to figure it out but try not too. This will all get straightened out on Monday, one way or the other. If the car is damaged you should be able to get your money back. Unless the dealership is going to pull the "it was fine while we had it" scam. Stick to your guns and this will all get worked out.

later,
    KrustyTC
    NEW ENGLAND F4
    02 WRB WRX
    Long Live The Bugeye Nation!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax189 View Post
    what i always did on my turbo civic to spot leaks is spray a little water on the couplers. Pull the throttle cable and if you see air bubbles, theres your leak.
    Soapy water is even better.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

Thanks guys I tried spaying water to help find the leak, and that didn't work. I guess I will find out monday, hopefully the mechanic is good. It's an 03 with 33,000 miles on it.

33k on a 2003 is great low miles for that year. Hope it works out man!!

Keep updated on this.

do you know what it has on it? If not why don't you snap a few dozen shots from different angesl in your engine bay. May want to pull the heat shield off the turbo as well if it's there so we can get a better look at the snail.

TurboXS front mount intercooler and BOV, TurboXS full exhaust, and auto meter electric boost gauge also stock boost gauge. The guy who sold it to the dealer left a box of the stock stuff in it and the instructions for all the after market goodies. He left the instructions for the TurboXS boost controller but I don't see it on the car. I found the original owners insurance card under the seat and he's from Maryland and I'm in Virginia. I'm going to the dealer in about 30min.

oops forgot to add pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5030172.jpg   S5030173.jpg   S5030174.jpg   S5030175.jpg   S5030176.jpg  

and Perrin short ram

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by speedDman1 View Post
    Soapy water is even better.
    BAD idea.

Spray carb cleaner around suspected leak spots. If the car stumbles, you found it.

dealer wants to keep it for a couple of days . I tired to talk them into letting me borrow an STI, but they weren't going for that.

just got it back from the dealer and they said one of my problems is that it has a 4" down pipe on the stock turbo so it can't build up the right boost. Have you guys ever heard of that? Fastwrx.com is close to me and I'm going to get them to check it out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.