Newbie...need advice
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie...need advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, New to the forum. looking to purchase one of these fine automobiles soon and wanted to tap your ...

Newbie...need advice

Hello all,
    New to the forum. looking to purchase one of these fine automobiles soon and wanted to tap your opinions and ask a couple ques.

1. WRX STI vs. EVO (short and sweet) - what are the pros cons, is one that much better than the other or is it mainly a taste thing?

2. 2007 STI - Whats with the drop in HP and ditching the tail, I was in love with 300hp and the tail , can you after market the tail on or is it only the limited that got the butt cut?

3. What level of upgrades are we talking to get the STI to between 400 and 500hp (estimate of cost to if you can) and would it still be street legal, pass NJ emission standards and most importantly be reliable as an every day car?

Any insight people could offer I would greatly appreaciate!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jbuckley21 View Post
    Hello all,
    New to the forum. looking to purchase one of these fine automobiles soon and wanted to tap your opinions and ask a couple ques.

1. WRX STI vs. EVO (short and sweet) - what are the pros cons, is one that much better than the other or is it mainly a taste thing?

2. 2007 STI - Whats with the drop in HP and ditching the tail, I was in love with 300hp and the tail , can you after market the tail on or is it only the limited that got the butt cut?

3. What level of upgrades are we talking to get the STI to between 400 and 500hp (estimate of cost to if you can) and would it still be street legal, pass NJ emission standards and most importantly be reliable as an every day car?

1. IMO its a matter of taste and company loyalty. When the Evo8 came out I heard that the Evo had a harsher ride and wasnt as fast as the Sti in a straight line, but faster on a road course. I dont know enough about Mitsu to tell you how the Evo9, MR, and EvoX stack up.

2. The drop in HP is from how they changed the standard of how SAE measures crank HP in stock engines. As far as I know the 07 engine is mechanically identical to the 06, someone correct me if I am wrong. When you said 'tail' I think you are referring to the spoiler? The standard STi will still have the rally style deck spoiler, it is only the STi Limited that gets the small spoiler along with a few other visual tweaks.

3. To get 400 or 500 wheel HP in an STi I imagine you would need a substantial turbo upgrade, exhaust, some very aggressive tuning and possibly some drivetrain or transmission/gear upgrades. Having that much power and still passing emissions standards (without having a 'friend') might be a challenge. Estimated cost (not including bribed inspection) for that much power....7k-10k ballpark? Being reliable as a DD and having that much power AND passing emissions sounds like you are dreaming to me....but hey if you do it, post it up.

just as a matter of opinion-- you sound like you are getting way ahead of yourself. The STi is a hell of a car stock. A few bolt ons and some tuning and you can be hitting 300whp. Thats a hell of a fast car...I dont really understand why anyone needs 400-500hp (or 300whp for that matter) other than for bragging. But thats just me. Good Luck.

PS Next time do a search!
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

I've heard that the Evo 9 is making substantial improvements over the original that came to the US. I don't like the interiors or the driveability. Subaru FTW IMHO...can't beat it...

The Evo 9 is a great responder to bolt on upgrades however...you can reach a 12 second car much easier with an Evo than with an STi.

However...a new ECU base map and head design on Stock 07 STI's are making differences in the way they respond to simple bolt ons. Also...07 STI's have the "new" VF43 turbo by IHI which is simply the same as a VF39, just with a 0.10 larger diameter wastegate (which supposedly still doesn't quell boost creep).

There are a few threads running around, especially over at NASIOC that have dyno'd results for protuned Limited's with just Headers and a TBE that are making substaintially more (I'm talking 60-70whp) gains over stock. That is a MAJOR improvement over the tunability of the pre 07 STi's which itself was really good.

As for gaining 400+ HP...turbo upgrades are a must. I have never seen a case where you could reach 400+ without upgrading the turbo, and usually to make that much...you need a BIG turbo which sometimes requires a rotated setup such as the one Perrin makes, which can be very costly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Jbuckley21 View Post
    Hello all,

the only way you can do this safely is to do a turbo upgrade. i am at over 12,000 in my car ,and i have done an engine swap. i am making 430 awhp and 400awtq . it is a safe tune on a built sti block. i am not running rotated ,or any type of injection for these #'s. as afr as making big power for reliable everyday power. it will never happen. once you start modding a car it will start to take away from the day to day reliablity.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.