Please Pray 4 Me! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Please Pray 4 Me! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; what about maintenance? how much is an oil change in this thing? differential service? timing belts? is it expensive to ...

what about maintenance? how much is an oil change in this thing? differential service? timing belts? is it expensive to upkeep? ive been around toyotas for a great part of my life so im used to teh cheap to run cars but im willing to get over it as long as the prices to upkeep arent too bad. if they are them im keeping the yota. im not expecting an oil change in a wrx to cost 19.95 at the local greese monkey but nothing rediculous like $180 (can you all tell ive never owned a turbo car b4? lol)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot685 View Post
    what about maintenance? how much is an oil change in this thing? differential service? timing belts? is it expensive to upkeep? ive been around toyotas for a great part of my life so im used to teh cheap to run cars but im willing to get over it as long as the prices to upkeep arent too bad. if they are them im keeping the yota. im not expecting an oil change in a wrx to cost 19.95 at the local greese monkey but nothing rediculous like $180 (can you all tell ive never owned a turbo car b4? lol)
    If you are concerned about the price of upkeep for this car, then it's probably not for you. While it's not very expensive to maintain, (relatively) it does need to be maintained properly. An oil change by itself runs me about $25.00 every three thousand miles. ( Approx. 2-3 weeks for me ) I just had the plugs changed , (60,000 miles) and that ran me $125.00. So you get the idea. But this is stuff that you can do yourself, which will save some cash. Timing belt at 90,000 miles was about $200.00, if I remember correctly.
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

I'm at 102k miles, and the car seems fairly reliable. I have needed to replace a fair number of things (brakes, clutch, timing belt, spark plugs) - but those are all wear and tear items that will need to be replaced eventually. I don't think this car is much more expensive to maintain than a lot of other cars, but like others have said you should keep up on the maintenance. It only really gets pricey when you pay others to do the work. For example, I just had a new clutch put in and it cost me $1100. I had the timing belt replaced, and it was around $400. Routine maintenance like oil changes, belts, and spark plugs are not any more expensive than most other cars in my experience.

You're trading in your new car to a much older car? Why not trade in for a 2006 model? I personally don't think that it's a good trade in. The car is 4-5 years old. Yea, sure it's reliable, but we're talking about previous owner, modified or not and other factors involved.

I'm sure you can get yourself some good deals from the remaining 06's. The car is that much fun to drive compare to your Scion, but I don't think it's a smart move to make.

Good luck anyway!
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 01-03-2007 at 03:02 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

+1

Don't get me wrong, the more Subie owners the better and its awesome you want one, but when you're talking about reliablity, you are buying an older car that could be beat up. To put things simplistically...lots of miles on a car is lots of miles on a car. They are recorded for a reason: because over time with driving, things wear out no matter how well they are maintained.

Looking for a leftover 06 would be your best bet and shouldn't shred your pockets. Even that, look for a used 05 or 04. The newer the better for the most part! Either way, goodluck with whatever decision you make. Just make sure its thought out from every angle...just remember: this is a big investment
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.