signed up yesterday!

This is a discussion on signed up yesterday! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey New to clubwrx.net!! live in portland, or I bought a 02 wrx about two months ago, and I'm just ...

signed up yesterday!

hey New to clubwrx.net!! live in portland, or

I bought a 02 wrx about two months ago, and I'm just starting to mod it. Im new to the whole important/moding my car scence.

i bought it from a car dealer so im not sure of all the modifications. but i know for sure it has.

blitz boost controller
    a&e air filter
    apexi turbo timer
    and i just installed apexi n1 catback exhaust.

could i get some pointers on what to get next or anything important i need to know about my car?

ps. I made the mistake of buying a bov(greddy type-rs) for my car before looking at this site.(seems to be a typical noob mistake here). installed it, and my performance sucks! the kit came with piping to make a recirculation bov.
    would it hurt my engine or performance if I installed it with the recircluation kit, or should i just installed the stock one back on?

im also looking for a stock headlight on the driver side and a armrest for the center console. can be new or used(in good shape).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

The turbo timer an MBC are not the best choices. Have a look here: Support Threads (FAQ): Everything you need

The best BOV for the WRX:

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

this may seem as a dumb question, but i know very little about turbo.

what does the turbo timer do?

Quote Originally Posted by brtnblend13 View Post
    this may seem as a dumb question, but i know very little about turbo.

what does the turbo timer do?
    if it works correctly, it should leave your car on for an amount of time after you take your keys out and leave your car. this allows the oil in your turbo to cool and prevents damage in the long run.

subaru has said that turbo timers are unnecessary with modern turbo systems and that the additional cooling time is unnecessary. however, the way i see it, is subaru REALLY going to come out and admit that the turbo will sustain damage in the long run w/o a turbo timer? of course not, they're going to come out and tell the public that everything's okay to protect their ass.

i believe it's a wise investment.. what's $50 to protect a $500 turbo anyway
    2002 WRX Sedan
    World Rally Blue
    OEM front lip, Cwest skirts and rear lip
    STi rear wing
    JDM Greddy turbo timer

I Support ClubWRX
    Oil and water cooled turbos (like the ones we have) have held up very well over time without the use of a turbo timer.

A turbo timer would be best used on a turbo that is oil cooled only.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by jlagace View Post
    if it works correctly, it should leave your car on for an amount of time after you take your keys out and leave your car. this allows the oil in your turbo to cool and prevents damage in the long run.

subaru has said that turbo timers are unnecessary with modern turbo systems and that the additional cooling time is unnecessary. however, the way i see it, is subaru REALLY going to come out and admit that the turbo will sustain damage in the long run w/o a turbo timer? of course not, they're going to come out and tell the public that everything's okay to protect their ass.

i believe it's a wise investment.. what's $50 to protect a $500 turbo anyway
    it came with the car, and yea im ok with a lil extra protection just in case in the long run.