On the wall about switching to a new STi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on On the wall about switching to a new STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wow this is a great site... I'm really starting to seriously consider a new (06+) STi... Right now I have ...

On the wall about switching to a new STi

Wow this is a great site...

I'm really starting to seriously consider a new (06+) STi... Right now I have a 215whp MINI Cooper S... The car is fast and fun as all get out. It's my first car that I've had since I was 16, so I'm really like sentimental to say the least, I vowed the day I bought it to keep it until I die. Around here there are very few MINIs and only one other that is modded. It's a very unique car, everywhere I go people are always starring at me, I dunno if that's because of the catless, straight exhaust, or because it's a mini The car is an attention getter, and I like that about it. Unfortunetly it also grabs people's attention at my high school. You would think being a starter on both the varsity football team and the basketball team would earn you some respect... but twice in the last 6 months i have had people carve hateful anti homosexual phrases in my nice paint. The funny thing is, I have a girlfriend, and shes popular and extremely good looking, and everyone knows it. Everyone knows my car, and quite frequently, prolly at least once a day I get some idiot ask me "How's the b!tch car doing?" It's getting tiring. What sucks the most though is that this car is constantly in for repairs. In the past 3 months I have only had it a total of 3 weeks. My parents were so mad they bought me an Explorer so that I could drive again. In the past 8 months or so it has been to the dealer no less than 19 times. I live in South Bend, IN, the nearest MINI dealer is in Indianapolis, 3 hours away, and no one in my area can service it. Off the dealer floor in early 05 this car put me out just shy of 29k, it's completely decked out including custom leather, nice stereo etc, but as of the other day my dad informed me that with the latest round of repairs I have spent a total of $63,216.47 on this car so that means I've payed more than the car is worth in repairs and modifications in the last 2 years than I actually did on the car itself.

So I'm really on the wall here. I'm extremely sentimental about my car, I love it, it's me in like every way I can imagine. I've put so much work into it and am naturally very proud of what I have done. It's causing alot of drama as you can tell, and while when I do have it, it's extremely fun, but it only stays that way for a few weeks max before it breaks again.

So my question(s) are, if I buy an STi, will my want for Unique-ness be satisfied? I have not driven one yet and I don't know if I will, I'm only 18 and I'm not sure the subi dealer here would be that excited to hand me the keys for a test drive. I do know though that I'll be satisfied with the performance straight off the showroom floor, it will be far better than the MINI's. But really I like having a car that people are drawn to, and preferably not with their keys. I just don't know what to do... Please help me out here.

Thanks for reading my novel!
    Last edited by blownMINI; 12-28-2006 at 09:34 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    sorry to hear you have such arseholes at your school. As much money as you wasted on the mini you could have had a very sweet modded STI for sure. Get the STI and get rid of that mini before it breaks your bank even more. Oh and believe me an STI is a car that makes you forget there are other cars out there. IT is that good.

Get a WRX. You dont need an STi. Way too much power, too expensive, and too high insurance for someone in high school.

Plus, if you think you got a hard time for the Mini just wait till one of them is jealous of your new STi and decides to key it.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Banned
    get a wagon. THey are better.

well

Sounds like you have a nice Mini but if your having that much trouble with it....get rid of it. Trust me a STi W/ the big ol wing will get EVERYONE to look at you/ try to race.

As far as the haters go.....Fu^# them...do your thing. Dealerships are kinda funny about test drives but if you take your dad with ya you should be good to go. After a year and a half my STi still puts a smile on my face when I get in it the morning.

1) Get rid of Mini

2) Get a WRX

3) Drive Explorer your parents got you to school.

Banned
    Get a 06+ black wagon, mod the living hell out of it. Cheaper insurance, 2.5L engine, and stealth bomber looks. Also, find out whoever scratched your mini and go bed their mothers (take pictures).

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

As stated above, stick with the WRX. There will be plenty of time for you to get something faster later.

obtw - it is "on the fence", not the wall.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 12-30-2006 at 04:31 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Stick w/ the Mini. It sounds awesome.

Buying ANOTHER new car isn't going to make anyone less spiteful or jealous of you. That is why they are vandilizing your ride, either that or you are a show-off/jerk that has made alot of enemies, I don't know. Either way they will just ruin the Suby too.

Subys seem to be very reliable, but by the sounds of it you will just mod the hell out of the STi and break it just as much as the Mini anyway.

I'm sure you would love an STi just as much but it sounds like you have put alot of work into the Mini and are very attached to it. I don't see buying a Suby helping your situation alot.

Good luck, whatever route you choose, T.J.

BTW, +1 on driving the Explorer to school. Maybe people would be less likely to vandilize a boring car and maybe it wouldn't bother you as much even if they do.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Get a WRX. You dont need an STi. Way too much power, too expensive, and too high insurance for someone in high school.

An STi is worth every penny.... Trust me, if you get a WRX, you'll just want more.
    '08 WRX SSM
    Mods:
    Engine- COBB AP, stage 2 Perrin map and intake, SPT CB exhaust and Invidia catted DP.
    Suspension- SSR Type-F 18x8 +45 offset, Rallitek F/R swaybars and HD endlinks, H&R springs, camber bolts and Cusco front strut tower bar.
    Exterior/Interior- '09 WRX grill, Factory Front lip, Fog lights, STi 5 speed shift knob, Armrest extension, painted rear chrome strip and debadged trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kpSTi View Post

An STi is worth every penny.... Trust me, if you get a WRX, you'll just want more.
    Yes, it is worth every penny. BUT...For a high school kid, a wrx has plenty of power.

Post up some pics of the mini
    Cobb Stage 2

If your parents will buy you an STi, then get it. But be carefull and dont be like every other stupid teenager. Oh and find out who screwed up the mini and ill come help you beat the crap out of em.
    CGM

If you can handle an moded Mini you are probably OK to drive the STi.

That said, the haters will sure as heck notice that big rear wing and not leave the car alone.

Keep the Stealth Explorer for a daily diver and the nice car for the weekend. No school events for the Mini, STi, or Ferrari. I went to a nice private school and a one event someone stole the radiator cap/sliver flying lady off one of the parent's Rolls Royce

Before Collage I was relentlessly teased. One the little (Insert favorite explicative)'s get it in their tiny little heads that it is "fun", and they can get away with it, they will not go away.

Good luck.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Get the sti, you will love it, and trust me im 25, and the kids i went to school with are still giving me dirty looks... mainly casue they are working at the gas station(while i have a real job) and are forced to fill up my sti with gas, and my gas bill is about equal to there daily pay... but thats another issue...
    D@VID
    2002 F150 s-crew
    07R6/08ZX-10
    STILL Hawk Eye Alliance #31
    "your drive should not be to outdo others,but to outdo yourself"

+1 FOR SURE on taking the explorer to school

I recently got a new WRX and I wouldn't fathom bringing it to school; although my friends give me a hard time for keeping it nice and driving my mom's pilot to school, the risk of some jackass keying it out of jealousy (or whatever the reason) makes it worth taking the Pilot
    Last edited by freebertuzzi; 12-30-2006 at 08:29 PM.
    -John
    06 WRX Sedan
    Soon to be at Cobb Stage II
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #311

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.