On the wall about switching to a new STi - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on On the wall about switching to a new STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Thanks to everyone the replied... Wow I went to the local Suby dealer here in town yesterday and met one ...

Thanks to everyone the replied... Wow

I went to the local Suby dealer here in town yesterday and met one of the salesmen there. He was prolly one of the nicest car salesman I have ever met... Even my MINI "Motoring Advisor" seemed more eager to sell something than this guy (MINI Salesman are supposed to be the best, and the least sharkish). He is in the process of locating me a white STi Limited. We sat down and finally came to the conclusion that it was what I would like the best. He originally was trying to steer me towards a WRX also, but then after listening to my wants we decided the STi L was the way to go. I hate the wing... end of story, and that's what lent me to the limited. I liked white and the leather, since that's what I have in the MINI, and the sunroof, which I also have in the MINI, the foglights, the fact that it's unique, only 800 people have one, is awesome... and for only $34k it's amazing. I know how to drive lol I autocross every weekend in the summer, and I drive cars on a regular basis that are faster than this STi would be. I don't take my racing on the street because i try to my costs to a minimum, like to mods and insurance, and the car payment. Notice how "traffic violations" isn't listed I learned my lesson in the MINI... BRIGHT Red car with a white roof and a catless straight exhaust that sputters flames draws some popo attention. During the summer I'd get followed about twice a day, not for doing anything wrong, just driving, so I'd get followed move by move for a couple miles.

The key with any fast car is to respect it, and know when and when NOT to push it hard. I haven't yet driven an STi, I will next week, but the Cooper S scares the sh!t out of me because you never know whats going to happen, especially with it's, ummm problems I have PSS9s on there now, and even on a very harsh setting, accelerating hard and hooking up are freakin jokes. FWD just blows, that's all there is to it, the weight shift kills any chance of getting traction, the PSS9s help but really it all comes to freakin FWD. I do nothing but burn in first, burn until about 3/4s of the way through second, and squeel in when going into third, my autox Kumho V710s are really the only somewhat "solution" to this problem, and it still does it with those, just not as bad. Then the entire understeer issue, even with camber and a 25mm rear swaybar, still sucks, the car still pushes out if you don't accelerate in the right place. And the snow...
    Yeah well at least I can have a viable excuse for skipping school in the winter... yeah I have used the "I got stuck in a snow drift/ditch" many times, twice it was true, the other times I just didn't feel like risking my own life and decided to stay home and do something constructive and productive, and play turismo or nfs, and watch Oprah.

It's still fun, just annoyingly fun. It's fun because you never know how it will turn out, everytime is different. It definitely keeps me on my feet. I would rather have something that is somewhat predictable and more easily controllable, especially in the wintertime, but still has enough power to keep me in shock and respecting. Driving a fast car slow is more satisfying to me than driving a medioker car fast, and it tends to get me into less trouble. I guess I'm the opposite of most kids my age, but again I'm unique lol I just call it using your head.

I would prolly not do much to the STi in terms of modifications... My friends and I have already started brainstorming... Exhaust, ECU, CAI (is it needed? I know it was a must have on the Cooper S), wheels (prolly 18in black Ultraleggeras), some dece tires, some autox/trackday wheels and tires, winter tires, and some suspension stuff to lower the beeyotch/perform better (coilovers?). ratfart that's prolly about ten Gs right there... oh well

So yeah... Hey ANOTHER novel. I should be an author. No... then I might have to sell the STi to get published lol

Mike
    Last edited by blownMINI; 12-30-2006 at 11:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh and I have also dealt with the mature individuals who decided to carve things in my car... and of course it was in a responsible, non-violent, or vandalizing way

Quote Originally Posted by blownMINI View Post
    Oh and I have also dealt with the mature individuals who decided to carve things in my car... and of course it was in a responsible, non-violent, or vandalizing way
    Well thats not any fun
    CGM

Lets see pics of your MINI. I love them. I got into a race with one of them when I had my GST (FWD) on a 2 lane road with lots of turns. Man let me tell you this, MINIs can take turns with ease.
    Last edited by engz; 12-31-2006 at 04:17 AM.

Here is some food for thought:

Try running the STI LTD in AS. It's still fun, the chances of the car needing to go to the shop is low, and the warranty will take care of most problems. (If you snap a right rear stub shaft due to launching; it's your dime. There is a service bulletin on the subject and the dealer can tell. AWD traction...)

The photo to the left was taken with stock suspension and tyres at a hillclimb. The cones to warn you that there is no shoulder and there is about a 15" drop off. i.e. Drop a wheel off and you will be grinding the chassi. No time penalty for hitting the cones though...

Fair warning, the stock tyres are 3 season and a very good reason to stay home if it snows.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Quote Originally Posted by engz View Post
    Lets see pics of your MINI.
    +1!!

Congrats on your decision and welcome to the club! I'm sure it will be better than the Mini in the snow.

Peace, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Good luck hopefully no one keys your Sti, i would kill someone. Welcome

^ Yeah

I dunno what AS is... can you elaborate?

I like autox cuz i can go out against friends who are into cars with their RX7, Supra, and RB25 Kouki and kick their a$$es. That was in the MINI... I can't wait for this thing.

Yeah I'll get some pics up as soon as I can, I recently put new grillz on, and I want to get some pics with those, unfortunately i have my fugly all season wheel tire combo on right now, so it still looks like a b!tch car.

Thanks again for the support, and happy new year.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Foot STi View Post
    Fair warning, the stock tyres are 3 season and a very good reason to stay home if it snows.
    YESSSS!!

Actually I was thinking about running the stock tire wheel combo for my autox days, instead of going out and buying new ones. From what I have heard RE070s are pretty stiff. Dam i can't wait i cant wait i cant wait

SCCA Auto-X class A Stock. Not many mods you can run.

The two big ones you can run are Ohlins fixed perch struts and Whiteline 27mm front sway bar. No rear bar, no engine stages, no turbo back. You can run a cat back exhaust if you want a different sound, but there isn't a hp advantage. Other than that; STOCK. Tyres are free. Any size you can squeeze on the stock size rim and cram under the fenders. I have run both the RE070s, and Kumo Victoracer 700s. There are several pages of rules, but these, I think, are the highlights.

Many happy returns.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

they aren't scratching up your mini and making fun of your car b/c you don't ahve respect, it's because of JEALOUSY.

getting an STI will not help the problem.

if anything, get an 06 WRX and mod the hell out of it, sleeper status. it's really easy to make power on that car and nobody will know
    2002 WRX Sedan
    World Rally Blue
    OEM front lip, Cwest skirts and rear lip
    STi rear wing
    JDM Greddy turbo timer

Quote Originally Posted by blownMINI View Post
    but as of the other day my dad informed me that with the latest round of repairs I have spent a total of $63,216.47 on this car
    have your parents buy you the STi as a daily driver/winter beater and get yourself a nice Lamborghini for the weekend. i heard the new Murcielago's are nice, but you might have trouble with rear visibility. if that's the case, a Rolls Royce Phantom is a little more practical but you give up some handling balance.

you have to test drive most cars in your price range and see which one suits you best.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy View Post
    have your parents buy you the STi as a daily driver/winter beater and get yourself a nice Lamborghini for the weekend. i heard the new Murcielago's are nice, but you might have trouble with rear visibility. if that's the case, a Rolls Royce Phantom is a little more practical but you give up some handling balance.

you have to test drive most cars in your price range and see which one suits you best.
    Wow that was a smartass comment. Really though the Murcielago isn't my style. Why? Well I had one in my garage for two years. My dad had an 05 blacked out Murcielago. It was fast, and looked like a F-117 but it just wasn't my type. But since you mocked me, do you want to see what's in my garage?

Yeah in case you didn't guess my dads daily driver is the Moonbeam Continental GT.

the Blu Anniversary Maserati GranSport Spyder is:
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelBoy View Post
    for the weekend.
    The 575M is just there, it's a Ferrari, nothing more needs to be said. I drive it once or twice a week, so does my dad.

Did you read the rest of the thread? If you would have you would have figured out that thirty thousand of that was for the car new. Repairs from an accident that came damn close to killing me four months ago and almost totalled the car, was a nice 17k bill. The insurance company would have dropped me so I had to pay for it with money from my savings account. I'm still trying to recover from that blow, physically, and financially. My parents work hard for their money, and so do I, I work full time as a Pharmacy Technician, and still manage to almost be a valedictorian of my 600 student senior class. Good things come to those who work for it. Im sorry, it's not my fault that I work for good money and was born into a wealthy family, so stop holding it against me, okay? Good.
    Last edited by blownMINI; 01-06-2007 at 07:59 PM.

People on this forum have a tendency to hat on people with financially fortunate families that give nice cars to younger people. Expect more of it if you stay here. Take good car of what ever car you get thats whats important.

On a lighter note thats a freaking sweet garage man.

POST MORE PICS OF THE FERRARI NOW!!!!

NOW!!!!!!
    Last edited by cavallino333; 01-06-2007 at 08:15 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Yeah of course I will... It looks like you're a bit of a Ferrari fan. Do you have one?

I tend to get that attitude alot any forum I go to, so it's not really that big of a deal, I'm used to it, but it still ticks me off. I know alot of kids especially ones I used to live by that think they're god because they're families are rich, and shove they're wealth down everyones throat/are arrogant as hell. That's not me, I don't brag and I'm not arrogant, so I don't mention wealth in anything until someone does make a comment, like that. To me being arrogant (thinking you are better than everyone else) is indeed a mistake and huge flaw because just because you have money does not make you better than the next guy. Thus, being arrogant makes you less of a person than anyone else.

"Money doesn't make a man, a man makes money" Is a quote I live by

Yeah I'll get some more pics uploaded though and post them.
    Last edited by blownMINI; 01-07-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast