Just bought an '04 rex.

This is a discussion on Just bought an '04 rex. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just got an '04 WRX sedan yesterday. It's completely stock, I'd like to begin modifying. I was thinking I'd ...

Just bought an '04 rex.

I just got an '04 WRX sedan yesterday.

It's completely stock, I'd like to begin modifying.

I was thinking I'd go first with breathing mods, exhaust, uppipe, header, and then some PCM tuning.

How hard is it to do a clutch on a WRX? I kind of want to get a more robust clutch as I will be drag racing frequently.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User impreza_rs_2004's Avatar

welcome

want to say congratz and welcome to the club. Not to sure about the clucth change.

Welcome to the club
    Post some pics
    Vag-eye Militia #1
    Military Militia #3

If you plan on drag racing frequently plan on upgrading your transmission fast! The stock clutch will allow for some slip which is a good thing, upgrade the clutch and you will kill your trans twice as fast. Headers also aren't a very good first mod for the car, and typically aren't done until a very large turbo is installed. Porting the stock headers isn't even required on a slightly larger than stock upgraded turbo.

PPG make some nice straight cut 1-2 gears that would be an excellent mod if you plan on drag racing the car.

Congrats on the car, post some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by tube View Post
    I just got an '04 WRX sedan yesterday.

It's completely stock, I'd like to begin modifying.

I was thinking I'd go first with breathing mods, exhaust, uppipe, header, and then some PCM tuning.

How hard is it to do a clutch on a WRX? I kind of want to get a more robust clutch as I will be drag racing frequently.
    Congrats and welcome to the club.
    02 MBP Stg 2 Bugeye
    Bugeye Mafia #107

WRB '02 Stage 2+ WRX - SOLD (and dearly missed)

07 OBP WRX (Wife's) SOLD

don't worry about the clutch, the stock one is durable and driveable. IMO the best performance clutch on the market.
    embattled, we prevail...only victory exhaled.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

Love the 2004 (I drive one) You really do not need any breathing mods unless you are making insane amounts of horse pressure.

Have a look here: Support Threads (FAQ): Everything you need
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Welcome to the club
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #888

1) Greetings and welcome. Much can be learned by searching.

2) Do not get a new clutch until the stock one goes out. And upon the stock going out, replace it with the same OEM clutch. Most aftermarket clutches are going to be more hard on the tranny, and in the wrx, that is the last thing you want. The stock clutch will hold upto 400whp and there is no need for an aftermarket one.

3) turboback and uppipe are great first mods. Skip the header though. Header is only good for when you have all other mods and you want to eek out a few extra whp. Not to mention you have to buy the right one because some sets have been known to decrease hp. Go turboback, uppipe, and EM for your performance mods. Anything extra aside from the upgrading the turbo should be within the relm of silicon hoses, upgraded topmount, and custom tuning (protune if you go AP).

4) Good luck.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.