Subaru convert
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru convert within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so, the other day I'm walking to school, thinking about my plans to modify my Honda soon, when I here ...

Subaru convert

so, the other day I'm walking to school, thinking about my plans to modify my Honda soon, when I here a noise. It started out as a low thrum, then quickly morphed into a crescendo that sounded remarkably like a Ducati V-Twin or maybe an airplane radial. I can't describe te sound terribly accurately because the thing defies a proper description so far as my vocabulary is concerned. Honda? Nope. Nissan? Wrong again. It was a silver 2006 WRX, with an exhaust, and it was incredible. All thoughts of VTEC and prelude engines forgotten, I dove back into my books to glean what I could from them about the WRX and variants thereof. I have since decided, upon enlistment into the United States Air Force, I'm gonna do my damnedest to pick up a rally blue, 2002-2004 model, and go to town on it. But through all my research I do still have some questions.

What kind of power will the stock turbo be able to take without tearing the thing up prematurely?
    How stout is the gearbox (what's the hardest you can launch the thing without turning your gearbox into shrapnel?
    I keep hearing about understeer being a predominant trait in the car's handling when stock. What is the best way to correct this issue?
    What are the top ten mods in terms of value?
    Is the stock stereo worth a hoot?
    How much lag is there when stock?
    Which year is the best?

Thanks for your time
    Last edited by scoobydreamn; 12-21-2006 at 07:05 AM. Reason: its 12:30am and today I had finals, what do you expect? lol
    a lone Honda in a sea of Turbo goodness

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

welcome to the club

do a little searching and you will find all of the answers u need
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydreamn View Post
    so, the other day I'm walking to school, thinking about my plans to modify my Honda soon, when I here a noise. It started out as a low thrum, then quickly morphed into a crescendo that sounded remarkably like a Ducati V-Twin or maybe an airplane radial. I can't describe te sound terribly accurately because the thing defies a proper description so far as my vocabulary is concerned. Honda? Nope. Nissan? Wrong again. It was a silver 2006 WRX, with an exhaust, and it was incredible. All thoughts of VTEC and prelude engines forgotten, I dove back into my books to glean what I could from them about the WRX and variants thereof. I have since decided, upon enlistment into the United States Air Force, I'm gonna do my damnedest to pick up a rally blue, 2002-2004 model, and go to town on it. But through all my research I do still have some questions.

What kind of power will the stock turbo be able to take without tearing the thing up prematurely?
    How stout is the gearbox (what's the hardest you can launch the thing without turning your gearbox into shrapnel?
    I keep hearing about understeer being a predominant trait in the car's handling when stock. What is the best way to correct this issue?
    What are the top ten mods in terms of value?
    Is the stock stereo worth a hoot?
    How much lag is there when stock?
    Which year is the best?

Thanks for your time
    Welcome to the club.

Impressed, as I am, by your command of the English language (something that, by the way, is sorely lacking in many of the posts here) I've decided to take a stab at answering some of your questions. Keep in mind that I'm a little biased due to the fact that I own a '06 WRX.

What kind of power will the stock turbo be able to take without tearing the thing up prematurely? - Not sure what the maximum amount of power anyone has gotten out of a stock turbo but a '06 Protuned Stage 2 will lay down about 240-250whp and around 290-300wtq (mine's at 241whp/291wtq). Earlier models will have about the same horsepwer but significantly less torque.

How stout is the gearbox (what's the hardest you can launch the thing without turning your gearbox into shrapnel? - Although the '06 transmissions are rumored to be a bit stronger than earlier years, the WRX is not really a drag car. In stock form you should be able to launch your car without too much danger to the transmission, assuming that you know how to drive manual fairly well and don't slam through the gears. While there are people on here that are running fine with well over 300whp, that seems to be the cutoff number for the stock transmissions. Too much over that and it won't last too long with any abuse.

I keep hearing about understeer being a predominant trait in the car's handling when stock. What is the best way to correct this issue? - Bigger rear sway bars should do the trick.

What are the top ten mods in terms of value? - This you may need to really search on; but, in terms of engine mods, you can't go wrong with engine management and TBE to get to Stage 2 which completely changes your car.

Is the stock stereo worth a hoot? - Not really. But then, you won't be listening much to it anyway. Trust me on that.

How much lag is there when stock? - With the new 2.5l engines lag is not that bad. The cars have plenty of low-end torque for easy around-town cruising. The older 2.0l engines exhibit a bit more lag before the turbo fully spools up. Either way, anytime you're over 3000RPM you'll forget all about the lag.

Which year is the best? - The '06+ models are by far the best USDM WRX/STi Imprezas built to date. The most significant improvement were made to the WRXs with the addition of the 2.5l engine, better brakes, standard 17" wheels, and other minor upgrades.

Well, I hope that my replies have been helpful in some way. Whichever model you get I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with it. As always, use the search function on here and you should find answers to just about any question you might have about your WRX.

Again, welcome to the club.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Well thanks for your time. My only problem is that I'm still finding it hard to love the new face on the WRX. Don't get me wrong it has grown on me a ton since I first saw it, I mean I really like the headlights, the rear and sides, even the lower front bumper, but the Grill is still more than a little odd looking for me. I probably will be doing a lot of lurking now, and not ask so many goofy questions all at once.
    Last edited by scoobydreamn; 12-21-2006 at 07:05 AM.

Well thanks for your time. My only problem is that I'm still finding it hard to love the new face on the WRX. Don't get me wrong it has grown on me a ton since I first saw it, I mean I really like the headlights, the rear and sides, even the lower front bumper, but the Grill is still more than a little odd looking for me. I probably will be doing a lot of lurking now, and not ask so many goofy questions all at once.
    You get used to it and even like it! I actually like the looks of mine a lot now.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome to the club!

So, the sound got you hooked ...

In addition the thicker rear sway bar I would highly recommend a performance alingment. A sticky form the Suspension and Handling forum: Alignment basics
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Let me first say that was quite the soliloquy with which you decided to address us. Your authority over the English language nearly impressed us all. Once you gained our intellectual respect; however, you quickly relinquished this by not searching. So as smart as you think you are, don't be an intellectual snob. Thanks and Welcome
    '06 wrx wr-blue

I'm sorry my intent was not to be snob-like at all. The car just amazed me and that kinda gushed out when fingers hit keyboard. As for the searching thing, yes I should have searched but I figured I could kinda use this as almost a test. I have tried to join forums before, where, when I ask a question in the noob forum, I got flamed beyond all reason. So I got here, decided to ask some questions that I had in the noob section of the forum and see what kind of response I got. Yeah, you can look at what I did as kind of stupid, but you guys handled them realy well. Besides I was orginally only going to ask one or two questions but then I kept thinking of more things that I was wondering about from all of my reading. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm here to get all the inforamtion I can before I jump in and grab a WRX of my very own.

I Support ClubWRX
    Please do not feel sorry - I liked your first post in this thread and thought it was well written. If anything I think speedDman1 was overly critical.

Do not judge us by one negative comment.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

allrighty then, will do. I'm sure the comment wasn't meant to come off as negative as it did. People make mistakes, its all good. Has anyone heard of someone/thing called Badlanz? There is a video I found last night of a WRX with a Badlanz exhaust cutout on it and it sounded incredible, any ideas? I did a google search and found references to a screen name but not much else.

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

Welcome to the club.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

These two videos are the ones I'm talking about in that earlier post, I love the sound, what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LepX8iCCSrQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsgOVy1_8R0

Welcome!

Did the 2.0L change much from 2001-2005?

Did the 2.0L change much from 2001-2005?
    You mean from MY2002-2005, but no it didn't change to much. In 04 the fuel injection system was changed out but it has remained pretty much the same.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast