New '07 STI owner...

This is a discussion on New '07 STI owner... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I went to Redwood City Subaru in the SF Bay Area to pick up my new STI today. I ...

Thumbs up New '07 STI owner...

So I went to Redwood City Subaru in the SF Bay Area to pick up my new STI today. I called around and made a deal over the phone with Jon, the sales manager, to buy a new '07 STI for $1,000 (yes, one thousand) under invoice.... Jon had me deal with Larry Fung when I got there and Larry was very knowledgeable about the car, which was a refreshing surprise from the people at Stevens Creek.

I showed up, looked at the colors... and decided to go with my original choice of Urban Gray Metalic...

The whole process (paperwork and purchase) was about an hour. I was treated very respectfully and it was quick. Got the car at a screamin' deal and used the 3.9% financing.

I can't say enough about how nice they were. No hassles, no BS, and very professional. They of course asked me to buy the gap insurance, the extended warranty, etc.. but that is to be expected. I did not buy anything other than the car and the 3 accessories it came with: all season mats, wheel locks and compass dimming mirror (I HATE those dimming mirrors!)... Total was $34,339 out the door. So I would highly recommend them.

My reasons for buying this car were simple. I have been driving an '03 Taurus SES all year as my company car. I lose it at the end of this year. I wanted something fun, yet stealthy. This car is very similar to my 1998 BMW M3 sedan. I really like the sedan styles, even though I almost never carry people in the back.

Got the rev limiter set to 3,600 RPM and this thing is getting BABIED during break in. Has 75 miles on it now. Initial impressions are favorable. While I am not too fond of the wing, I have not decided if I will swap it for a WRX wing yet or not. Nor do I know if I want to remove all the STI decals.

Interior quality is good. Very simple. Having owned 40 different cars so far in my life, I have some idea of what I like and don't like. While the interior is no match for any BMW I have ever owned, I realize that if this car had an interior to match the performance it would be a $45k car. The seats, while nicely covered and offer good bolstering, are (surprisingly) a bit too wide for my, 6" foot 210lb frame. A good Recaro will probably be in the works soon. I was happy to see (and hear) that the doors close with a solid feel, not what I am used to with most Japanese cars.

Stereo is ok... it's a factory job, and thus nothing fancy. Not sure if I will mess with it at all though. Glad to have the auxiliray jack so I can plug my iPod straight in. Gauge layout is great, everything where you want it. The shift/rev light/buzzer is a wonderful thing to have. Intercooler spray.. um... what a gimmick. oh well...

Car tracks super straight on the road. The tires do emit a bit of road noise but, once again, that is to be expected with this kind of tread pattern. Gear box feels rather smooth, except it was a bit odd getting it into 5th and 6th a few times. Then again I have not driven a stick too much the past year due to an automatic company car I had.

Engine, I cannot comment on at this point. The car has not, and will not until after break in, received more than about 1/3 throttle yet. However it does feel responsive and I can tell there is plenty of oompff in there.

Heading out to Half Moon bay now for Brunch. Take care!

Serg

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Smile

I also bought a 07 Sti . Manchester Subaru - in Nh - they are the #1 selling Sti dealer in New England - i was in and out in about 1 1/2 (spot deal)
    i think the stereo system Sucks!!!!! i came from a 2002 lexus Is300 with a premium audio system so im hard to please - as far as the loud tires- OMG! they are so loud i cant take it subaru needs to do somthing about that - buying a 34,000 car and have all that tire noise is BS ... everything else about the car rocks ... esp. the power - good luck and have fun with your ride ..

You know the tires don't bother me.... I had Yokohama A008RS's back in the late 80's on my then daily driver Jetta while in High School...

The stereo, however.. does suck ass.. any suggestions? I don't want to hack the car up at all... what are my options for a new head unit and better speakers??

Well I put on 200 miles today.. Up HWY 9 to Skyline, down to Alice's, 84 to HWY 1 to to Half Moon bay and had Brunch at Cetrella. Then drove down to Santa Cruz and back down HWY 17.

Man it was hard, but I never once passed 4k and never gave it more than 1/2 throttle... It's killing me, but I want to be gentle with it. No sense ruining the car...

Here are some pics in front of the Red Barn on HWY 84 outside La Honda.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STI2.jpg   STI3.jpg   STI5.jpg  
    Last edited by Wedge; 12-17-2006 at 07:40 PM.

Nice
    Congrats on the Sti
    Vag-eye Militia #1
    Military Militia #3

The 4k thing really sucks... just when the turbo starts to spool its time to let off.

As for the radio, just get a catless exhaust and thats all you need. No fancy radio required.

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    You know the tires don't bother me.... I had Yokohama A008RS's back in the late 80's on my then daily driver Jetta while in High School...

The stereo, however.. does suck ass.. any suggestions? I don't want to hack the car up at all... what are my options for a new head unit and better speakers??

Well I put on 200 miles today.. Up HWY 9 to Skyline, down to Alice's, 84 to HWY 1 to to Half Moon bay and had Brunch at Cetrella. Then drove down to Santa Cruz and back down HWY 17.

Man it was hard, but I never once passed 4k and never gave it more than 1/2 throttle... It's killing me, but I want to be gentle with it. No sense ruining the car...

Here are some pics in front of the Red Barn on HWY 84 outside La Honda.
    Highway 9 FTW!
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the club Serg!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    '07 STi FTW!!!11!!ONE!!!! you're the man now, dog

looks good, i'm pretty sure the '07 STi's have the same significant improvements as the '07 STi Limiteds - adaptive ECU, better cooling heads and VF43 turbo
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Banned
    very nice. i still dont understand why subaru decided to tone down the HP and torque on this amazing car.

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    '07 STi FTW!!!11!!ONE!!!! you're the man now, dog

looks good, i'm pretty sure the '07 STi's have the same significant improvements as the '07 STi Limiteds - adaptive ECU, better cooling heads and VF43 turbo
    Yep... mechaincally they are identical.

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi View Post
    very nice. i still dont understand why subaru decided to tone down the HP and torque on this amazing car.
    They didn't tone it down. Technically they added more HP. Read my post above, the 2007 STi's come with a more adaptive ECU, better cooling heads and a VF43 turbo as opposed to the VF39... The VF43 is basically just a VF39 with a .10 larger diameter wastegate.

The reason the website lists it as 293hp or whatever is because the standards (ISO or ANSI - I forget what standards organization it is) for rating HP recently changed and make the car manufacturers add in more accessory factors such as A/C, power steering, etc. The WRX went down from 230hp / 235tq. to 224hp and 226tq. However, the gas mileage actually increased by one MPG.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    They didn't tone it down. Technically they added more HP. Read my post above, the 2007 STi's come with a more adaptive ECU, better cooling heads and a VF43 turbo as opposed to the VF39... The VF43 is basically just a VF39 with a .10 larger diameter wastegate.

The reason the website lists it as 293hp or whatever is because the standards (ISO or ANSI - I forget what standards organization it is) for rating HP recently changed and make the car manufacturers add in more accessory factors such as A/C, power steering, etc. The WRX went down from 230hp / 235tq. to 224hp and 226tq. However, the gas mileage actually increased by one MPG.
    +1

What up Steve???

The new Dyno standards for factory are what caused the "drop" in power. I believe the standards go by SAE standards now...whooooooo a 7hp drop in the STi...but with the new ECU...it adapts crazy well to simple bolt on mods. A protune of the ECU with a TBE exhaust can boost you up50+ whp in an STI. Search the threads for the proof

My gas mileage is down from "rated" because I have a heavy foot
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Wedge, welcome to the club! Yea, we're lucky to have those nice hills in our backyard.. I love that run..
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #888

congrats, welcome to the club.