STI a Daily Driver?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI a Daily Driver? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, First off I would like to say hello and say thank you to those who have made this ...

STI a Daily Driver?

Hello all,
    First off I would like to say hello and say thank you to those who have made this site. Great site, tons of good info, and a lot less flaming than other Subaru sites I have visited.

I've finished college and thankfully landed a job that allows me to afford a nice car. I have driven various V8 Mustangs and trucks all my life, so I am knowledgable about domestic big engines, hp, and torque......but not so much with imports,turbos, and suspensions.

I am sick of the "V8s rule and all else is slow crappy rice" mentality that 90% of the people in my city have. I have to admit I once shared that mentality, however its amazing how an engineering degree can open your eyes So I wanna be different and get a performance import.

I have been browsing through the STIs, EVOs,IS350s and 3 series in town. I am leaning towards an 07 STI. It would be my daily driver....about 30 freeway miles a day...not to much traffic. I also have no plans to mod in the near future. That is why I want the STI..I want to be happy with the setup I have driving off the lot, not adding mods. I got a lot to learn before I mod an STI. I will probably be babying the car for the most part. My street racing days are over, and not too many timed events around these parts. However there are miles and miles of twisty mountain roads as well as dirt roads for me to open up the throttle on. Bottom line, I want this car for my satisfaction, no racing.

My question is this, can an 07 STI serve as a dependable, comfortable, daily driver? Yes I want the coveted docile ride Mon-Fri and Hell On Wheels Sat.&Sun. Am I just dreaming or can the STI suit my needs? Any info helps. Thanks

W.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    My question is this, can an 07 STI serve as a dependable, comfortable, daily driver? Yes I want the coveted docile ride Mon-Fri and Hell On Wheels Sat.&Sun. Am I just dreaming or can the STI suit my needs? Any info helps. Thanks

W.
    Yes, It will be a fine daily driver, especially in stock form and give you the Hell Raising capability for the weekends if you choose.

Have you driven one (cant remember if you mentioned that in the post offhand)? if not, go drive one on the highway for a little while to see how the ride is for you. Some people dont like the ride (even thought it is a lot better than the 2004 STIs), but most people are fine with the ride.

a good test drive is key to see if you like the feel of the car and the ride. dont do a 10 min test drive. try to have an hour or more in the car to get a feel for the ride, handling, seat comfort, visibility, etc before making a decision for/against it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    Yes, It will be a fine daily driver, especially in stock form and give you the Hell Raising capability for the weekends if you choose.

Have you driven one (cant remember if you mentioned that in the post offhand)? if not, go drive one on the highway for a little while to see how the ride is for you. Some people dont like the ride (even thought it is a lot better than the 2004 STIs), but most people are fine with the ride.

a good test drive is key to see if you like the feel of the car and the ride. dont do a 10 min test drive. try to have an hour or more in the car to get a feel for the ride, handling, seat comfort, visibility, etc before making a decision for/against it.
    Further, I'd be careful about how I 'tested' the ride comfort of the STI. I don't have an STI, but, when I bought my WRX, I thought the seats were a little stiff. I expected them to be wierying on long trips. As it turns out, the seats are firm, but very comfortable after a few hours in the saddle. My wife drives a Saturn Vue that is very comfortable and has good highway manners. We expected to take that on most road trips....only planning on taking the WRX when there were fun roads on the far end of the trip. As it turns out, we now take the WRX and find ourselve pleasantly free from the fanny fatigue we are used to experiencing when we've ridden in softer seats.
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Daily driven rain ,sleet ,snow or shine no worries
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome!
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    Daily driven rain ,sleet ,snow or shine no worries
    With the proper tires...
    '06 wrx wr-blue

Welcome to the club... i use a STi for a daily driver
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Welcome
    Vag-eye Militia #1
    Military Militia #3

I've burned 3 tanks of fuel in one day and was still able to walk into the house. (It was the drive back from a hillclimb through 4 western states.) The 6 speed is kinda a pain in bumper to bumper traffic on I-5, but any manual tranny has that problem. The STi is a fine daily driver.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

yeah, as long as you can accept the ride, it'd be a good daily driver... not many race ready cars will be without compromise, especially at this price range.

as always, go look and test drive. 3 cars come to mind in the $30k range... STI, EVO, S2000... all 3 are ready to race and each have their own compromises. Here performance is the top priority.

I dont consider the IS350 or a BMW 3 Series to be in the same league of performance at that price range. The IS has great acceleration, but handling is not even comparable... the 3 Series has handling but no power (unless you are looking to spend $40,000 on a 335i, which is a different story) Of course, with these two cars, the trade off would be luxury for performance.

You just need to drive these cars and see for yourself.

The cars I'd consider in the price range are: STi, EVO, S2000, 350Z, 3 series, IS350. All nice cars, the EVO is probably fastest, but the STi is a little more daily driver friendly and its pretty close to the performance of the evo, plus it looks nicer. Both have AWD which makes it great in all weather conditions The S2K and Z are both nice, the S handles better the Z's a little faster, neither make great daily drivers IMO. Neither have alot of cargo room and both are 2 seaters. The IS350 and 3 series are both nice, but are very different cars from everything listed above, there geared more towards luxury than performance IMO. The STi is the most well rounded in terms of practicality and peformance, its a little more expensive than some of the others but it's just about the fastest and you still get the 4 door awd practicaliyt.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX

Smile

I drove my STi as a DD for three years and I was quite happy with it.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

It's a good DD if you can stomach the gas mileage.
    2006 WRX TR

Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    Welcome to the club... i use a STi for a daily driver

No you drive TWO!

some great points made hear, any manual will stink in bumper to bumper

but ultimately its all about "compared to what" compared to the bmw or the lexus, probably not as good of a DD, compared to a lotus elise or an evo or something very hard than its a great DD.

Its just a great car.

"There's one thing I've learned in all my years,
    Sometimes you gotta say, What the ...., Make your move"

GO FOR IT. STI FTW.
    gJb Hawk-Eye Alliance #002

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

I only drive mine every other leap year on a full moon.

Seriously though, my stage 2 sti gets driven every day of the week. Obviously it's not the most comfortable car on the market but it gets me from point A to point B with a smile on my face and still has something to offer on auto-x days. What more could you ask for?

Sn
    ale Power: -BriTon
    06 STi=dead

RSTi Swap FTW
    Hawk-Eye Allience #013

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.