Buy the STi or not?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buy the STi or not? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've been trying to research this online for a couple of weeks now and haven't found a solid answer. I'm ...

Buy the STi or not?

I've been trying to research this online for a couple of weeks now and haven't found a solid answer. I'm looking at 04/05 STi or 05/06 not.

Does the STi provide that much better platform to start with?

If I purchase the STi I'll have no ready cash to do any Mods right off the bat. If I don't purchase the STi I'll have a few thousand to Mod with.

I'm not going to be racing in any form this will be my daily driver.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Uncle Jesse

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Jesse View Post
    I've been trying to research this online for a couple of weeks now and haven't found a solid answer. I'm looking at 04/05 STi or 05/06 not.

If I purchase the STi I'll have no ready cash to do any Mods right off the bat. If I don't purchase the STi I'll have a few thousand to Mod with.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Uncle Jesse
    Buy the STI if the budget allows for it. it is a much better starting platform then a WRX.

even though you dont have money to mod the sti right away, it is already leaps and bounds above the WRX in many ways (transmission and suspension are two big standouts other than the power part and brakes).

it would take far more money to make a WRX into and STI. most people just look at the power part..remember the STI has a great tranny, better suspension, better brakes, better interior, better resale/trade value, etc.
    Last edited by GraysonSubaru; 12-08-2006 at 11:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

i agree with GIb... if you dont have the budget to get the sti you can also get the new wrx TR its a great car and you can get it new if you dont want to spend tat much on an sti

yep.

there are some guys with TR's doing the VF39 swap and supporting mods. One dyno was in the area of 300 awhp and 380 ft lbs!! about $700 (or less) on ebay plus installation and tune. plus you dont have the insurance of the STI.

be sure to compare insurance rates on the two. Some people have major hikes in insurance for an STI compared to the WRX.

sorry for calling you Gib i didnt read it clearly Grayson

Ya I almost got the TR couse of Insurance . But I was 22 and got married and my rates dropped way down so I got my WRX.
    .......... two cents below _______________
    02 WRX/ owner since I could dream.
    WFC The 3rd III cobbcobbcobbcobbcobbcobb
    (((((((((((((((( NOW STAGE2 ))))))))))))))))
    _______________________________.

nice hhahaha luckly if some people have parents they can put it as a secondary driver will make the sti insurance go lower

Quote Originally Posted by lovin_STi View Post
    sorry for calling you Gib i didnt read it clearly Grayson
    no big deal.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see a direct answer. It's not a lose/lose situation but neither car will do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Jesse View Post
    Platform for what? A daily driver? No. A very fun car for short hops? Much better. Modification? Yes.

Why mod a daily driver that is not going to be used in competition anyway? The WRX is a better daily driver and a better overall motorcar. The WRX STi has a better driveline and better motor plus sharper dynamics, but it's IMO nicer to commute in the WRX instead. The STi is cheaper to buy outright than it is to add all the parts to a WRX, but in any case you want a daily driver.

For a fun daily driver, find a WRX and do not mod it.

Uncle Jesse[/QUOTE]
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

STi is a much better overall set up. Also, the 07 comes w/ a VF43 turbo (slightly bigger wastegate than VF39) and stage 2 07 STi put down like 319whp, 389 lb-ft.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ight=crazyness

However, if you are on a budget like most of us, get the WRX. It is a great car. I would recommend the 06/07 for the 2.5L engine and bigger brakes.

If you want something in the middle look into an Evo. You can get an Evo RS for $27,000 brand new, or a GSR for around $30,000.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Banned
    Also, no STI wagon!

Chix dig wagons.

have you ever looked into getting a legacy? those suckers are quick as heck

Quote Originally Posted by lovin_STi View Post
    have you ever looked into getting a legacy? those suckers are quick as heck
    i had an LGT (2005). very nice car, lots of power.

we are trading for a 2006 Spec B with about 5000 miles in the next day or so. (buying an STI limited).

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonSubaru View Post
    Buy the STI if the budget allows for it. it is a much better starting platform then a WRX.

even though you dont have money to mod the sti right away, it is already leaps and bounds above the WRX in many ways (transmission and suspension are two big standouts other than the power part and brakes).

it would take far more money to make a WRX into and STI. most people just look at the power part..remember the STI has a great tranny, better suspension, better brakes, better interior, better resale/trade value, etc.
    Thanks alot, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Straight forward and the reason why. Now to find one...

Uncle Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    STi is a much better overall set up. Also, the 07 comes w/ a VF43 turbo (slightly bigger wastegate than VF39) and stage 2 07 STi put down like 319whp, 389 lb-ft.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ight=crazyness

However, if you are on a budget like most of us, get the WRX. It is a great car. I would recommend the 06/07 for the 2.5L engine and bigger brakes.

If you want something in the middle look into an Evo. You can get an Evo RS for $27,000 brand new, or a GSR for around $30,000.

Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast