Buy the STi or not? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Buy the STi or not? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If you can get one, STi is the only answer, IMO......

If you can get one, STi is the only answer, IMO...
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSubaab
    "Dude, I don't know you, and I don't mean this in a personal way, but I want to kick you in the nuts."
    -If your going to quote someone, quote yourself.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You should be able to pick up a left over 2006 STi for $800 - $1000 UNDER invoice and a 2007 STi for $200 under invoice to $200 over pretty easily if you shop around. We some 2006's under $31k here.

Invoice on the 2007s seems to average $700 more than the 2006 for some reason. Many of the other Subaru models have gone down for 2007 compared to 2006.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

how much drivetrain loss do most people figure for our AWD system? 20%?

I believe a little higher like 23-24%.
    New England F4

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    STi is a much better overall set up. Also, the 07 comes w/ a VF43 turbo (slightly bigger wastegate than VF39) and stage 2 07 STi put down like 319whp, 389 lb-ft.
    VF43 still a bolt on upgrade for the 2.0L then like the 39 is? hmm wonder what kind of numbers that could pull compared to the 39 upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I don't see a direct answer. It's not a lose/lose situation but neither car will do what you want.

Platform for what? A daily driver? No. A very fun car for short hops? Much better. Modification? Yes.

Why mod a daily driver that is not going to be used in competition anyway?
    I guess I should have been a little more clear on the not racing. I will be doing a few track days here and there. I just won't be competing in a regular series or anything. Wife and 2 kids don't allow enough time right now.

I guess it's all going to come down to what I find available. If I can find the STi I'd like ,I'll go that route. If not I'll get a bare WRX and make some Mods.

Thanks to all of you for some speedy responses. I will definately become a regular here.

Uncle Jesse

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Jesse View Post
    I guess I should have been a little more clear on the not racing. I will be doing a few track days here and there. I just won't be competing in a regular series or anything. Wife and 2 kids don't allow enough time right now.
    I bet you'd be more comfortable in an STi on the track if that's the case.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Go with the STi. Funnest car I have ever driven.

I'm pretty much in the same posistion and have opted for the STi. I've driven both.. WRX stock is nice but I've driven faster and tighter cars.. Can't say the same for the STi. If I got the brand new TR I would HAVE to mod right away.. not a bad thing but the possibilty of saying bye bye to the warranty on a brand new car doesn't sit well. So.. I'm going 05' STi.. it's got plenty to satisfy me until the remainder of the warranty is up.. After that the real fun begins.

P.S. From reading all the posts and the great info on this forum you are in a win win either way. Choice is yours!

give us some background on youself? the WRX and sti are completely different cars

you wouldnt happen to live near windy back roads would you? maybe with some hills and some annual snow

cough* cough* STI > all
    **** off with your candy paint jobs and spoilers that are 8x too big , I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post
    give us some background on youself? the WRX and sti are completely different cars

you wouldnt happen to live near windy back roads would you? maybe with some hills and some annual snow

cough* cough* STI > all
    I just happen to live in Olympia, WA, Home to Rally America's West Rally last weekend. I can't say enough about how well Subaru treated us the spectators. It was great to get to see those cars go by at 70-80MPH getting sideways six feet away. Travis and Ken were great guys. I wish I could afford to do this with my car but, until the kids are out the house there is no chance.

We have more twisty back-roads, gravel, logging roads, and small tracks than just about anywhere else in the country. Yeah I will definately be getting out and enjoying the car from time to time.

Uncle Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Jesse View Post
    I just happen to live in Olympia, WA, Home to Rally America's West Rally last weekend. I can't say enough about how well Subaru treated us the spectators. It was great to get to see those cars go by at 70-80MPH getting sideways six feet away. Travis and Ken were great guys. I wish I could afford to do this with my car but, until the kids are out the house there is no chance.

We have more twisty back-roads, gravel, logging roads, and small tracks than just about anywhere else in the country. Yeah I will definately be getting out and enjoying the car from time to time.

Uncle Jesse

so what did you decide on? the sti?

damn thats exciting, saftey comes first, but go out there and have some fun...i assume you chose the sti? or are planning on it? i dont see an update on what your final choice was
    **** off with your candy paint jobs and spoilers that are 8x too big , I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post
    so what did you decide on? the sti?

damn thats exciting, saftey comes first, but go out there and have some fun...i assume you chose the sti? or are planning on it? i dont see an update on what your final choice was
    I'm going to be looking for the best deal over the next coule of weeks. It's my Christmas present from my wife and I'm in no hurry. I'll update as soon as I make a choice.

Uncle Jesse

STi > all

+1

I love my STi, but one word of warning: The tyres are 3 season. In Olympia snow isn't a big thing but if you plan and go play up in the white stuff be ware...

I live just down I-5 in Portland.
    Cones don't count at Hillclimbs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast