Noob looking at buying 02-04 WRX, got some ?s:

This is a discussion on Noob looking at buying 02-04 WRX, got some ?s: within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all I ma Zach and looking to buy a DD. I've owned stangs and Lexus cars, but nothing like ...

Noob looking at buying 02-04 WRX, got some ?s:

Hey all I ma Zach and looking to buy a DD. I've owned stangs and Lexus cars, but nothing like a WRX. I guess I like how they are different and they seem to be priced well in my area.

Anyways a few general ?s:

1. I am 6'3" and 260lbs, will I fit in a WRX sedan?

2. I am looking at 02-04 models with 30-60k miles, as far as reliabilty (considering the car is mostly to completly stock) how reliable will this car be?

3. What kind of things and maintenance do these older WRXs need? Also what to look for when purchasing one?

I do plan to mod the car a little, guy two houses down from me has an 03 and I can hear his BOV from 500 feet away, hah. love that sound.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

welcome to the club!

1.) I am 6'2", and while i weigh a lot less, i have no problem fitting in the car. I fit with plenty of room, but good luck getting someone in the back seat behind you.

2.) Why 02-04? The model year change happens between 2004 and 2004, as the 04/05 models get slightly better gears, and a few other goodies. As for reliability, if it stock, thats a good thing. However, people who get these cars tend to abuse them, and considering that the 02-03 have the weakest transmissions, you'll wanna be careful. Generally, the wrx is very reliable, and many have gotten their wrx's into the 100,000 mile region, sometimes even with the stock clutch!

3.) As long as your treat the car nicely, it will need no different maintenances then any other car. Give it regular oil changes and tune-ups, replace the plugs every few years, nothing special.

Extra Credit) BOV might sound good, but there bad for the car. It will cause the car to run rich, idle poorly, and shift poorly. Just remove the intake silencer.. it will sound a little quieter, but won't give you the down sides
    "You may say the grill is ugly...but thats ok...you wont see it when your behind me"
    Hawk-Eye alliance #004

Thanks and yes I am now looking at 2004s only (unless I find a cheap '05)

a lot of ppl dont realize that its a 4 dr, it has plenty of room and the seat can go back, im 6' 2'' and it has plenty of head room....

this car is perfect for you, and with those "light mods" you caa get a lot out of this motor...do some reaseach and mod safely, id steer away form intakes and BOVs, engine mangement alone can get you up there...read up and hang-out around here, you will learn
    **** off with your candy paint jobs and spoilers that are 8x too big , I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

motormike: nice avatar. I <3 Steph.

To the OP; I have a friend that's 6'6". He has no problem in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Subie do View Post
    motormike: nice avatar. I <3 Steph.

To the OP; I have a friend that's 6'6". He has no problem in my car.
    i hope she dont mind my little alteration of her pretty tat
    **** off with your candy paint jobs and spoilers that are 8x too big , I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.