Contemplating a WRX and need some info!

This is a discussion on Contemplating a WRX and need some info! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all. I like the site. I am looking at getting a new car this coming spring and have some ...

Contemplating a WRX and need some info!

Hello all. I like the site. I am looking at getting a new car this coming spring and have some questions on the Impreza WRX Wagon.

I am looking at an 05 WRX AWD with the Automatic trans. I know the Auto trans is not the sportiest but unfortunately for me, I cannot drive a stick. I drove manuals for years but have lost my left leg below the knee and can no longer drive on on a daily basis.

My questions are as follows.

1. Lifespan? How long do these last? I am not looking to mod it too much at all. Likely just a nice audio set-up.

2. Repair costs? Cheap/Expensive.

3. How do the Auto trans hold up?

4. If I wanted to mod some, you know. If I get the bug (likely to happen) what are some of the suspension options out there for the car which will not harm the ride too much.

To answer some of your questions, I am also contemplating an 07 Jetta GLI (No AWD). 03-04 Audi A4 Quattro, and a few others.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ElPogoLoco View Post
    Hello all. I like the site. I am looking at getting a new car this coming spring and have some questions on the Impreza WRX Wagon.

I am looking at an 05 WRX AWD with the Automatic trans. I know the Auto trans is not the sportiest but unfortunately for me, I cannot drive a stick. I drove manuals for years but have lost my left leg below the knee and can no longer drive on on a daily basis.

1. Lifespan? How long do these last? I am not looking to mod it too much at all. Likely just a nice audio set-up.

4. If I wanted to mod some, you know. If I get the bug (likely to happen) what are some of the suspension options out there for the car which will not harm the ride too much.

To answer some of your questions, I am also contemplating an 07 Jetta GLI (No AWD). 03-04 Audi A4 Quattro, and a few others.

Thanks
    Auto is ok..if you can swing it, find a used 2006 with the auto. the 2.5L does much better with the auto....or even a 2004+ Forester XT with the automatic

1. will last as long as you dont abuse it (revving in neutral the dropping it to Drive at 5500 rpms, etc). stick with the service schedule if you can with getting fluids changed, flushed, etc. the engine can go for 300k + if taken care of. We have many cars come to service with 200k+.

2. depends what you are talking about. All cars have some inexpensive repairs and expensive ones. It just matters what breaks and if it can be repaired or needs replaced. maybe consider doing an extended powertrain warranty if you are not going to do much in the way of power mods.

3. see #1.

4. maybe a set of eibach springs (or sti pinks) and adjustable shocks. there are a few other set ups out there too... i am sure some will chime in with good ideas here.

if you are looking at that new of an audi, i would really consider an auto 2006 + WRX. they are leaps and bounds better than the 2005 and older models with the 2.0L ...especially with the auto trans.

the Forester turbos from 2004 + have the 2.5L turbo engine and are based on the Impreza platform so many parts are able to fit both. it might not be a bad choice either.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Peachypumpkincheeks

and welcome to The Club!!!!

Interesting choices you are debating. I for one would choose the subie (okay, totally biased) over the other two for the sheer enjoyment I get from the peformance, power, and handling of my little 4-banger. The Audi A4 Quattro is nice (my bf owns one) and makes a great daily driver, but the pick-up (especially when passing on the highway) is definitely lacking. I don't have much experience with Jetta's, except that they scream 'college sorority girl' in my opinion.

Here are some links I suggest you check out to help satisfy your appetite for information:
    Useful information regarding Subarus and ClubWRX
    The "Good first mods" sticky
    And here's great coverage of FAQs from NASIOC.
    And lastly, your Engine performance FAQ
    Heather | 2002 WRX | Stage 2
    ScoobyDMCtt | Official Bodyguard #2 for the Bugeye Mafia
    TastesLikeAwesome | @Subiestar

Talking subie

Thanks

Welcome to probably the best WRX forum, IMO.

Subie's last damn long, so long as you maintain it properly

Depends on wither you're willing to diy

Learn how to drive stick!!! Jk, idk cause I drive stick

Some Sport Full Coilovers, would not only have a good ride but you'll have the choice of going dropping it a bit, and also be able to adjust the stiffness ().

Both the Audi and GLI are cool. I really like the GLI cause you can get them reflashed real easy and the BBS rims are wide enough to have some seriously sweet rubber on them

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyMyth View Post
    Welcome to probably the best WRX forum, IMO.

Subie's last damn long, so long as you maintain it properly

Depends on wither you're willing to diy

Learn how to drive stick!!! Jk, idk cause I drive stick

He got his left leg amputated below the knee. He can drive a stick, just doesn't want to, and rightfully so.

I agree with the comment about the 06 WRX. The new 2.5 liter engine will be much better with the automatic compared to the 2.0 of the 05. I would try seeing what some used 06's are going for. Keep in mind thought that with the 06's the only automatic will be with the more expensive limited. Then again you do get leather, sunroof, etc. Good luck

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver View Post
    he could, prosthetics have come a long way these days, imagine a cyborg clutch leg so you can make a wrx tranny feel like it is a sti tranny. LOL Ridiculous I know but it made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by yeliwmots View Post
    He got his left leg amputated below the knee. He can drive a stick, just doesn't want to, and rightfully so.
    oh damn, my bad dude.

Personally I would recommend the A4. The turbo is much smaller and when coupled with TipTronic shifting it is tourquey, and pretty fun to drive around town. On the highway it falls on its face unfortunately.

Or, a 5EAT (5speed auto w/ sport shift) Legacy w/ the H6 (6 cylinder). 6 cylinder works much better with an Auto.

I havent driven an auto WRX, but the turbo is larger than the A4, thus the lag will be much greater, and the WRX 4EAT doesnt have the ability to shift between gears, so that is a downside.
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 12-01-2006 at 11:40 AM.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Another vote for looking at a Forester XT.

My wife drives an '05 XT automatic (4 year lease), and it's not a bad car at all. Even when it's off boost, it still feels like a much stronger engine than one would think, and it's enjoyable both around town and on the highway.

Plus it's got a very useable cargo area, and nice features like heated seats, 6 disc-player, etc. (non-limited package, as she doesn't care for leather or sunroofs), that make it nice for her as a daily driven vehicle.

And as others have said, since it's based on the Impreza chassis, you can use a lot of the same aftermarket parts if you decide to mod it.
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

Thanks
    I own an 02 WRX with the auto trans and it's awesome. My wife can't drive a manual trans so I had to get the auto because we often share each others car (she drives a Nissan Murano).

I had an up-pipe installed and it made a world of difference. It reduced turbo lag to basically nothing. Definitely the first mod you should do, as long as it doesn't void your warranty.

Good luck with your decision!

later,
    KrustyTC
    NEW ENGLAND F4
    02 WRB WRX
    Long Live The Bugeye Nation!

Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Personally I would recommend the A4. The turbo is much smaller and when coupled with TipTronic shifting it is tourquey, and pretty fun to drive around town. On the highway it falls on its face unfortunately.

Or, a 5EAT (5speed auto w/ sport shift) Legacy w/ the H6 (6 cylinder). 6 cylinder works much better with an Auto.

I havent driven an auto WRX, but the turbo is larger than the A4, thus the lag will be much greater, and the WRX 4EAT doesnt have the ability to shift between gears, so that is a downside.
    I really like that new RS4, so so sweeeeeeeeeet