Going to look at a wrx today, need some help!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Going to look at a wrx today, need some help! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone. I am new here. I currently drive a 300zx turbo and have been looking for a more sensible ...

Going to look at a wrx today, need some help!

Hello everyone. I am new here. I currently drive a 300zx turbo and have been looking for a more sensible daily driver so I can keep the miles down on the Z. I have always liked the wrx and I found one locally a few days ago. Its a 2003 with 43,000 miles on it. It is silver with a manual tranny. I test drove it yesterday and it drives great and the body is perfect with the exception of one minor ding on the rear quarter panel. They are asking 17,500. Is this a reasonable asking price to you guys or should I try to talk them down? Anything I should look out for. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not sure if thats a good price but I wanted to say hey anyway. I'm a fellow Z owner myself and just got into my 06 WRX in June. I've got an 84 300zx and 77 280z. I think having your 300zxT and a WRX would make for two fun cars to chose between driving. Anyway, good luck with your purchase.

Pics of the Z?

I went from a WRX to a 350Z. It seems like you could talk them down a bit but I'm not expert. Good Luck
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    Hello everyone. I am new here. I currently drive a 300zx turbo and have been looking for a more sensible daily driver so I can keep the miles down on the Z. I have always liked the wrx and I found one locally a few days ago. Its a 2003 with 43,000 miles on it. It is silver with a manual tranny. I test drove it yesterday and it drives great and the body is perfect with the exception of one minor ding on the rear quarter panel. They are asking 17,500. Is this a reasonable asking price to you guys or should I try to talk them down? Anything I should look out for. Thanks in advance!
    thats a high price. i have a 2005 wrx wagon here on sale for less than that.

keep shopping or get them to come way down on their price.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

www.kbb.com - all you ever need to know

2003 WRX Sedan, 5MT, 43,000mi

Excellent
    $16,455

Good
    $15,475
    - thats where this car is since its got a dent.

Fair
    $14,190
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I looked at the kelly blue book value and it says around 18 to 19K in good to excellent condition with that many miles on it. That seems high but makes their price seem decent.

October 2005, I purchased my 2002 with 32k on it for 15,900. Condition was good. Try to talk them down. You should be able to find a better deal.

+1 on owning a Z and a WRX - it's worth the cost
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I looked at the kelly blue book value and it says around 18 to 19K in good to excellent condition with that many miles on it. That seems high but makes their price seem decent.
    Did you select Retail?

Private Party:
    2003 WRX Sedan, 5MT, 43,000mi

Excellent
    $16,455

Good
    $15,475
    - thats where this car is since its got a dent.

Fair
    $14,190
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

less than 5 % of cars are in excellent condition.

most are in good.

i was thinking somewhere between $14k and $15k for that car would be a good price... especially when you can get a 2005 with 18k for $17250.

on a diff. note, Kbb.com has never been good to look at for retail. they are inflated most times. NADA is what banks/lenders go by as far as retail goes.

kbb.com has pretty accurate trade in values, but i hardly ever see a retail value from them that is near the mark.

Basically when buying a used car from a dealer, it's good to try to find out where it came from. Whether it was a trade, just came off a lease, or was purchased at an auction can make a big difference. You better bet if it was a trade, they are going to have to come way down on that price because they probably only paid like 12 or 13 for it. However, if it was bought at an auction, they could have paid more like 14-15.

Either way, their price seems rather high. I've found the best way to negotiate is to take some autotrader or cars.com printouts of cars in the area at dealerships with similar everything, and a lower price. Dealers can't stand to lose business because the prices at another dealership is better.
    NEW!! 09 WRX 5-door Black Base
    Old - 2006 Geep GC Hemi
    Older - 06 M3 Vert
    Oldest - 04 WRX WRB - cobb stage 2, borla 3" exhaust, erz dp

I forgot to mention that it is from a dealership and it was a leased car. Thanks for the replies. I will try to talk them down.

I forgot to mention that it is from a dealership and it was a leased car. Thanks for the replies. I will try to talk them down.
    Lease cars will usually fetch a premium, due to the fact it has been dealer maintained throughout it's life, and there's no chance for mods on it.
    NEW!! 09 WRX 5-door Black Base
    Old - 2006 Geep GC Hemi
    Older - 06 M3 Vert
    Oldest - 04 WRX WRB - cobb stage 2, borla 3" exhaust, erz dp

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy827 View Post
    Lease cars will usually fetch a premium, due to the fact it has been dealer maintained throughout it's life, and there's no chance for mods on it.
    there is nothing to say that a leased vehicle HAS to be maintained by a dealer. the oil changes can be done anywhere...as long as nothing goes wrong and it hurts a warranty claim.

with over 30,000 miles, there is no way to know if it had the 30k service done unless you find the dealer that might have serviced the car. those records are not in the vehicle profile with SOA..only at the dealership used records.

well guys, I didnt get the car. They wouldnt budge on the price so I walked. I will be looking for a silver 02-03. Wish me luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.