'06 wrx whine?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '06 wrx whine? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Any of you guys hear a whining on your 2006's? my first subaru. all stock. 5,500 miles, 5speed. just got ...

'06 wrx whine?

Any of you guys hear a whining on your 2006's? my first subaru. all stock. 5,500 miles, 5speed. just got it. haven't even put my foot in it yet so i know it's not turbo spooling. gears maybe? kinda sounds like reverse gear but not as high pitched, but consistent, not intermittant. new to the AWD thing. Normal sound for AWD?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How high of an RPM have you gone? Over 3,000rpms? then it was probably just the turbo.

Or, do you have a short shifter kit from the factory? sometimes it is the transmission whining b/c they didnt tighten something.

is it coming from the engine or your shift knob?
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

06' whine

yeah it does have a factory short throw. Pretty sure it's comming from up front. i think it tachs 2700 @ 70mph. sounds like ur saying that @ 3K rpm, the turbo spools just because there's enough exhaust gasses to do it. if i turn the radio off i hear it. I will pay extra attention to it on the way into work. I may even drop by the subaru dealership and test drive a brand new one to see if it does it too.

I have an 06 WRX wagon 5 spd and I get both two flavors of whining. First, the entire drive train 'sings' more than previous cars I've owned. It is not horribly intrusive to the cabin, but, the drive train makes a little noise. I've gotten to where I like the sound of 2nd slowing from 3500 rpms down to idle. 'Sounds mechanical..... strong... means business. The second whine is the turbo. If you're not putting your foot in it, you won't hear much turbo below 3000 rpm. It is there but it is very faint. If you are getting on it a little, the turbo is noticable and gets louder as RPMs climb.
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

"Sing" is a good word for it. Also seems to be a little louder than most cars up front at idle while standing outside the car. Tappy maybe. i guess its the flat 4. and i wonder why they have a kind of ram air looking air intake inlet when the hood has a gasket that seals in front of it.

My 05 whined alot especially in 1st gear. Its normal.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

it only does it when you let your foot off the gas and it engine brakes, thats how i see it

My car whines pretty loud at 2000 to 3000 rpms without going into boost. It has to be something with the engine and not the turbo. I actually love that sound. Why waste gas to hear whining when you can simply drive normal and hear it?

Oh and I love the airplane noise when I engine brake in low rpms in 1-3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by viperuws View Post
    My car whines pretty loud at 2000 to 3000 rpms without going into boost. It has to be something with the engine and not the turbo. I actually love that sound. Why waste gas to hear whining when you can simply drive normal and hear it?

Oh and I love the airplane noise when I engine brake in low rpms in 1-3rd.

Couldn't agree more. If I accelerate fairly hard at about 2200rpms, I get a nice turbo whine coming from the firewall, it's sweet. When decelerating I love the high pitched noise that comes off the back of the gears.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

I've got both sounds as well, an am new to AWD and turbos. After reading this thread I feel a lot better, I figured it was normal but wasn't sure. I have also gone mobil 1 tranny and diff fluid and still get the gear singing although it does shift smoother more so when it's cold and the sound has grown on me as well. My RX-8 had a very loud tranny right under your arm, I could hear the synchro's- pretty much everything in that car. But the turbo sound is awesome

the whining noise you hear is in your front end... All subarus have it. I was concerned about it too when i first got mine and i was told that its just the gears. I may be wrong about what you are hearing but it sounds familiar from what you are describing. To overcome this noise a big turbo should do the job:

quick question

I was just wondering if the noise of engine breaking signifies any potential long term damage to the gears? Is rolling to a stop in neutral better than letting the engine slow you down? Perhaps better to replace brake pads and rotors than gears? just curious

lol when passangers hear the engine braking sound in low gears and speed, they are like whats wrong with the car>? i dont know it just sounds like a problem

Quote Originally Posted by 1WRXWagon View Post
    I was just wondering if the noise of engine breaking signifies any potential long term damage to the gears? Is rolling to a stop in neutral better than letting the engine slow you down? Perhaps better to replace brake pads and rotors than gears? just curious
    No, engine braking is always the best way to slow down. I am 99.99% sure the gears are not being harmed enough to not use engine braking. Besides, stopping with only neutral in is wasteful on the pads and can be dangerous as you can't stop as fast as you can with engine braking.

Oh and if they had some recall to change the gears for noise reduction, I would kindly refuse. I really don't care where the whine is coming from, as long as it sounds cool, I'll keep it! (except for from a speaker like they have with the fake BOV noise. That thing is so bad it's funny.)

Just tell them the sound is made from Fuji Heavy Industries airplane influences. They will understand.

Just thought I'd say that I'm getting a similar whine in my '08. It has 230 miles on it so I figure it's normal. It does it in all gears, although to be fair I think it's engine speed related...I'll make a point of noticing tonight on the way home. Either way, since it's new I figure it's fine.
    2008 WRX Red (and therefore faster)
    2008 Nissan Sentra (wifes)

UK and Ex-Pats chat forum
    UK Chat Group

Wingl3ss @lliance #21

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.