'06 wrx whine? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on '06 wrx whine? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 03 WRX impreza with brand new rebuilt tranny and after 700 miles I have the same noise ...

I have the same sound

I have a 03 WRX impreza with brand new rebuilt tranny and after 700 miles I have the same noise as you guys!!1 It kind of drive me nutzz sometimes b/c I dont know if its normal. When i slow down and the clutch is out I hear click-click-click-click, its like i can hear the tranny gears slow down and when I speed up anytime it sounds like an airplane. It comes from the tranny!!! is that normal

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My 2 cents...

The drivetrain most certainly whines (though, I am not sure that is the best word to describe it).. My 5spd ford focus did this too. At low gears, it sounds like you are in reverse.

My whining got louder when I performed the silencer delete mod. The car was noticeably louder even standing outside the car. I had to bring it in (still under warranty) so I put the silencer back in, and the whine went away. You should look to see if the previous owner took out the silencer. Nothing wrong if they did - but would explain a lot of the noise.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

SILENCER MOD>!!! Never heard of it what is it exactly?

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyalta View Post
    SILENCER MOD>!!! Never heard of it what is it exactly?
    You can search here for the info on what/how - but here is a good how-to:

How to: Air Box Silencer Delete

Basically - your WRX (if stock equipped) came with a silencer on the intake. The air comes to your airbox from a funnel under your hood, then goes into your passenger side wheel area, then back out into your airbox. There is a silencer (or muffler, you choose the word) that connects the air "funnel" to the air box that is hidden inside the wheel well.

It is said removing this will gain you 6-9hp, and since you can either just remove it, or replace with a $40 elbow - it is a popular mod that most certainly makes the car louder. You can hear the turbo spool much clearer, and you can also hear the BPV go off when you let go of the throttle.

On my 07 WRX - At first I noticed some gains, but in the hot weather lately, I noticed the car feeling more ready to stall. I am really surprised at that - this means the silencer is really restricting air flow, but the car is tuned for that restriction.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

my 2001 wrx has a whine, i can hear it in 5th mainly. its a higher pitch to the turbo and gets louder the faster you get but stops when i let revs off. is this bad or is it the same as you guys are talkin about

Random question.. Is 290 awhp for an 06 wrx a good reachable goal? Will the car still be reliable or will i start to have problems with it? What are some good mods to get 290 awhp? Sorry again for the random question..

Banned
    it could be that your downpipe is missing a bolt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.