I have a question on gear ratio.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on I have a question on gear ratio. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I'm wondering if any one can help me understand about the manual gear ratio. This question is not specific ...

I have a question on gear ratio.

Hi, I'm wondering if any one can help me understand about the manual gear ratio. This question is not specific to Impreza, but I didn't know who to ask.

I've been reading up on altering gear ratio in order to improve performance and/or accleration, but I have a hard time understanding what that really means for me in everyday driving. How would my car respond differently now that for example, a manual transmission with 4 gears vs more closely designed 6 gears seen nowadays in some cars? Is close ratio manual transmission or more gears always better? Can any one help me out here?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you have a close ratio gear box, youll be shifting alot more. for example i have a five speed wrx and my friend has a spec v. when we drive i could be in 4th and shes already in 5th at roughly the same rpms.

also another friend has a highly modded wrx with decently taller gear ratios and top speed for each gear is about 5 percant higher, for example stock 3rd tops at like 95ish... and his tops at 110ish...

if you do alot of racing and you shift pretty quick, you might want closer gear ratios.
    07 white STi in CT

Generally more gears allows closer ratios which means it keeps you in the powerband better.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 11-24-2006 at 09:20 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.