Newb with an even newbier question 8)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newb with an even newbier question 8) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, I'm Matt and I'm from Chicago, IL and I'm looking to get a WRX. Now, I'm actually pretty ...

Newb with an even newbier question 8)

Hi everyone, I'm Matt and I'm from Chicago, IL and I'm looking to get a WRX. Now, I'm actually pretty new to cars in general, half the stuff I read on this forum I don't even know what it means. I'm looking to start getting into cars, and hopefully I'll be able to get a WRX within a couple of months.

My first question is what is the difference between the TR and the normal Sedan? I know it's "tuner-ready", but what exactly does that mean? From what I can tell the body style isn't really any different, and the basic specifications are the same. I know there's got to be something different though, seeing as the TR is about $1,000 cheaper ><

Thanks in advance,
    -hasweL

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The TR has different seats, worst stereo, and is basically a stripped down model. The reg. wrx has better sound system, better seats, and some other niffty bits.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

The biggest differences I saw were that the TR doesn't come with the spoiler and has different seats. The seats are the ones from the regular impreza which are still nice. The regular WRX comes with the more racing style seat. The TR does have a weaker sound sytem but since I'm not big into blasting my radio or anything I didn't see the point. The WRX comes with the aluminum sport pedals while the TR comes with regular black ones, again not something huge. There are probably a few other things but nothing major. I wouldn't call the TR a stripped down model as it still has all the basic things that all the other wrx's have like cruise, powr windows, locks, mirrors, etc. For me it wasn't worth it spending the extra money on the regular WRX but others may want all the extras. The only thing I wanted was the spoiler. Lucky for me there was a TR that already had the spoiler added as well as fog lights so I went with that one. Shop around as certain dealers add certain things on. The dealer I wanted to get my car from added short shifters to all thier subarus and charged only the exact price of the part. They call it tuner ready because you can change the seats to aftermarket, add an aftermarket spoiler, add aftermarkt pedals, and the such with out losing a lot of the factory "performance" parts.

Nice, thanks for all the information, very helpful. I've got another question, I called Allstate the other day to check out insurance prices, and they quoted me (17 year old male, good grades, no tickets/accidents) something like $2300 a year. I thought this was way too high... how much do you guys pay for your insurance? >< Is that too high, or does that actually seem pretty accurate? :\

-hasweL

Hard to compare since I'm no where near your stage of life. I own a 77 280z, 84 300zx, my wife has a 73 Maverick, and then our 06 WRX. I'm the primary driver but both of us are 25, in grad school, in medical programs, clean records, good grades, multi car discount, garage discount, alarm discount. Basically adding on the WRX only raised our insurance 1600 a year. I do remember at 16 driving a new toyota truck my insurance was 1500 a year for full coverage as a new driver with the only discount being that I had an alarm and I used the club (beileve it or not back in the 90's they gave discounts for that). When I was 17 I got rid of the truck and bought my 84 300zx (if you don't know it's the older version of the 350z). With full coverage on that car with an alarm and the club and only having 1 year of a clean record with good grades my insurance dropped to 1400. The drop was mainly due to the age of the car but it still was kind of high for an old car since it was a 2 door sports car. So considering what I was paying back in the mid to late 90's I would say 2300 for the WRX is about right for a 17 year old. Of course shop around if you your parents will allow you. Good luck

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hasweL View Post
    Nice, thanks for all the information, very helpful. I've got another question, I called Allstate the other day to check out insurance prices, and they quoted me (17 year old male, good grades, no tickets/accidents) something like $2300 a year. I thought this was way too high... how much do you guys pay for your insurance? >< Is that too high, or does that actually seem pretty accurate? :\

-hasweL
    I am a 20 year old male with a 2006 wrx and I'd love to get my insurance down to 2300 a year. 1 at fault accident on my record and no tickets in over 5 years.

Where you live and things like credit reports play a huge part in insurance. 2300 a year is rather cheap from what I've found. Make sure it's not 2300 for a policy term, which is ususually six months.

And the TR is the stripped model out of the bunch. It does still have power windows, locks, and a few other things but it doesnt have the six disk in dash changer and some other things.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    $2,300 a year would be a steal here in Jersey... I am a 24 year-old male with a squeaky clean record and I pay $3,000 a year which is fairly cheap compared to the rest of the quotes I got. It would have been around $3,600 a year if I went with the STi.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Welcome! Just a few things:

1) The TR has Single CD, manual hvac (climate control knobs), ghetto seats, non-painted mirrors, no fog lights, 05 WRX side skirts, no spoiler, no sunroof, etc.

2) Insurance questions are not worth asking as there are 100000 different factors that effect what you are quoted by a particular company. Please call multiple companies to find the best rate.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

delete from WRX sedan
    Delete: Performance Design front seats
    Replace with Sport Design front seats with active headrests
    Delete: Premium stereo CD changer, 6 upgraded speakers
    Replace with single disc, 4 speakers
    Delete: Automatic Climate Control
    Replace with standard air conditioning
    Delete: Fog lights
    Replace with STi type covers
    Delete: Body colored outside mirrors
    Replace with black folding mirrors
    Delete: Leather shift knob and Leather parking brake handle.
    Replace with polyurethane
    Delete: chromed inner door handles Replace with black door handles
    Delete: rear cupholders
    Delete: map pocket on passenger seat

From cars101.com That about covers it. The sunroof option is now only available in the limited models unlike in previous years where they offered it as an option for the normal WRX.

Thanks everyone for your input, it's been really helpful. Hopefully I'll be going to the dealership sometime this weekend to check out some cars and maybe test drive one.. I'll update this thread with any more questions I have after visting the dealer

Thanks again,
    hasweL

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome Matt!

Good to have you here - enjoy the stay.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

first off welcome, the wrx is a great car and it's good that you're interested in it.

that quote from allstate seems fair. i'm 18 yr/old male with no tickets/accidents and that's about what i pay(full coverage). it helps if you put it under your parents insurance because then you'll get a multiple car discount. also you could take defensive driving and it might lower your yearly rate. it doesn't help that wrx's are pretty expensive to insure.
    06' WRB TR(Stock)

Insurance

My .02
    When I was 20 and bought my 350z I was paying $4,800 a year here in NY. Thats with a perfect driving record and defensive driving course. Now I am 23 and I pay less than half that for full coverage on my wrx and my wifes car. My advice is do NOT put it on your parents insurance. When you do that and eventually have to get your own policy your premium will be terrible. Thats because you have not established yourself on your own policy and it puts you in a high risk category.

Maybe more than .02 but just trying to help.

Alright, well I went to the dealership last night and got to finally test drive a WRX, it was everything I had expected and more . Hopefully if this dealership is willing to cut us a nice price, I'll be in my WRX quite a bit sooner than I expected. It's all kind of up in the air right now, either we'll catch a good deal and get the car within 30 days, or I'll have to wait for at least a few months.. we'll see.

However, I do have another newb question, I was reading a different forum and a lot of people referring the horsepower of their car "to the wheels" and "to the crank". What's the difference between these two? I think I might already know the answer to this just by using logic, but I am just curious :P

-hasweL

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.