Goodbye DSM hello WRX? (honest opinions please)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Goodbye DSM hello WRX? (honest opinions please) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I currently have a fairly modded 98 Eclipse GST, don't get me wrong I love my car. However, I happened ...

Goodbye DSM hello WRX? (honest opinions please)

I currently have a fairly modded 98 Eclipse GST, don't get me wrong I love my car. However, I happened to get the chance to ride in an Evo8 the other day and well, now it's a neccessity that I have AWD, at least that's what I tell myself lol. Just curious what you guys would do if you were me, keep the GST and keep modding, or try and find a WRX? Both have their pros and cons, the WRX is AWD so I don't have to keep my truck for the winter plus it's probably close to as fast as the GST in stock form. However I own the Eclipse and have put alot of hours and money into it and I've always loved the looks of that car plus it's low mileage and with about another $1000 will be pretty retarded fast. Not to mention I'd imagine the insurance is going to be higher on the WRX being as it's newer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well... i went from a 99 gs-t to an 05 Sti..
    i had about 10g's dumped into performance parts in my gs-t and loved the car but i love my subies even more...
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome Steve!

Is having both an option? Do you live in snow country? You mention a truck - do you need to haul cargo with it? No? Replace it with a WRX.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

So you were happy with the switch from the Eclipse to the WRX? Bear in mind I'm not going to an STi, just can't afford it, I'm in the market for an 02 WRX. And yes I live in snow country east/northeast Ohio. Unfortunately keeping both is definitely not an option, I ride streetbikes also and between car and bike they pretty much keep all extra money tied up. If I got the WRX and sold the truck I wouldn't be able to haul the bike but I'd most likely just pick up a beater truck for that reason and to drive to work during the week. I just don't want to sell the Eclipse and then wish I had it back, I looked for a long time to find that car .
    Last edited by SteveR6; 11-19-2006 at 09:09 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are at least a few former DSM owners here. Seek them out and pick their brains some.

The WRX has everyday practicality the DSM does not.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-19-2006 at 09:47 AM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Banned
    He speaks the truth I owned a 1991 FWD Talon TSI Turbo 5 speed and I had about 3-4 grand in mods in the car and I did all my own work, **** I pulled the tranny out by hand and some rope, lol it was so light. THe dsm rocks cause it is ridiculously easy to work on them and they respond so well to mods. The subie on the other hand is a newer car so there is less problems and subie is very reliable if you maintain like any japanese car. I love my stock subie way more than my tsi just cause it has everything my tsi never had and more. AWD mainly and the I love the boxer engine since they are not seen often in every day vehicles besides porsche not sure who else does a modern boxer design today. I would definitely go subie and if you still have to satisfy that dsm bug I would buy a cheap 1g and mod that up into a track beast then tow it to the track with the wrx. LOL

Go for the STI... I know what you mean, after driving one I changed my mind right away... Still keeping the GS-T though... they both have diff power ranges.
    The WRX, you should drive one before trading, as you will find a big diff between the STi, and the WRX. We just bought a 04 STI on friday, and I forgot we even had 2DSM's sitting there... hahahah cant wait to mod it...
    04 STi Blue
    99 Eclipse GS-T
    95 TSI Talon

4 Diamonds 3 Stars 2 liters 1 big Turbo

I was planning on test driving one this weekend, but in actuality it's kind of hard to find one right around here close. I figure the power has to come on different, but it can't be that much different than the Evo I rode in. As for the difference between the STI and the WRX, it's not like I'm new to modding cars I'm sure I can make it what I want and save a ton of money in the process. Not to mention insurance on the STi has to be outrageous.
    Last edited by SteveR6; 11-19-2006 at 10:57 AM.

There is a big difference between an 02 wrx and the EVO 8 you rode in. I test drove a 05 wrx which has the same 2.0 motor as the 02 and it feels much different than my 06 WRX which came with the 2.5 motor. I would seriously test drive a wrx before you consider further selling your DSM. I couldn't afford the STI either but I'm glad I went for a new 06 with the 2.5 motor over a used 02-05 with the 2.0 motor. Others feel different but the main point is you need to test drive one because there is no way a WRX is going to feel like the EVO unless you are stepping up to the WRX STI.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR6 View Post
    I was planning on test driving one this weekend, but in actuality it's kind of hard to find one right around here close. I figure the power has to come on different, but it can't be that much different than the Evo I rode in. As for the difference between the STI and the WRX, it's not like I'm new to modding cars I'm sure I can make it what I want and save a ton of money in the process. Not to mention insurance on the STi has to be outrageous.

ya man I hear ya but, there's so much more to what you get with the STi. For instance you prob have the same single piston calipers in the front of your Eclipse as me. Basically it just plain sucks... try driving a car with 4 pistons upfront like the STi has. Its just unreal... The STI can stop on a dime I sware. Hell the back brakes on the STI even have dual piston...
    The Six speed gear ratio's is realy close and provides you with a wicked pull through every gear!!!
    Those are just 2 options that area big diff, in making your decision... Well it was for me anyways.
    Just my opinon but if your going to trade it for a STI it would be worth it, no so much for a WRX!!!
    04 STi Blue
    99 Eclipse GS-T
    95 TSI Talon

4 Diamonds 3 Stars 2 liters 1 big Turbo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
    There is a big difference between an 02 wrx and the EVO 8 you rode in. I test drove a 05 wrx which has the same 2.0 motor as the 02 and it feels much different than my 06 WRX which came with the 2.5 motor. I would seriously test drive a wrx before you consider further selling your DSM. I couldn't afford the STI either but I'm glad I went for a new 06 with the 2.5 motor over a used 02-05 with the 2.0 motor. Others feel different but the main point is you need to test drive one because there is no way a WRX is going to feel like the EVO unless you are stepping up to the WRX STI.
    or do stage 4 wrx you can still hang up there with them pretty good at least stock ones.

There is absolutely no way I can bring myself to spend that much money on a car, perhaps if my student loans didn't rule my life it would be different lol. So basically what you're telling me is an 02 WRX with all the stage 2 stuff is not worth getting rid of my DSM?

Well you haven't said how fast your car is so as far as acceleration goes it may not be worth it. Cornering wise, versatility, etc yes it would be worth it. Another thing you need to consider is that the 02 had the worst of the tranny problems. They have been getting better each year with the 06-07 having the strongest. That is one of the big factors with going with the STI. The 6 speed on that is said to be builtproof. There are lots of reasons to go with the STI over the WRX but cost is the big negative. If you are just wanting to look at the WRX I would say go with as new as possible OR know that when you get your WRX to start saving money for a new tranny. Obviously you like performance and probably like to hit up the track a bit; not so good for the wrx tranny. A lot of people go with RA gears or swap in the STI tranny. Do some searching on this site for tranny problems so you can read up on what others have had to say. I think overall it would be a better car BUT when buying used I think it always the safer gamble to stick with the car you already have since you know it rather than to start over with someone elses problems. I'm an old car person being that my wife and I have only ever owned older cars since thats what we like but it got to the point where we needed a new car while I went through med school and her through occupasional therapy school. I love my WRX but in your case I think it might be safer to just stick with your car until you can afford the STI or a new WRX. Just my opinion though

My Eclipse only runs mid 14s with a TON of mods and time. I looked and looked and looked for a low mileage manual GST, couldn't find one and broke down and bought the auto. Talk about kicking yourself in the !@# later. For the price of the sti I might as well look for an evo8 It's unfortunate to hear of these tranny problems, and I know how I am so I'll definitely end up breaking it if it's fragile. I have Murphy's law down when it comes to these things, I think I've replaced almost everything on the Eclipse at this point.

eclipse to wrx in 2 days.

I drove a 96 eclipse RS, a tad off from your current ride, but close for comparison's sake. I bought the eclipse during college as a necessity purchase. My jetta died, and i needed something reliable and nice, and not too expensive. The eclipse was the first car I found, low miles (49k back in 2003). It was the wife of a tuner's car. Well maintained and only daily driven by her. I loved it while it lasted, but it was never really the car I wanted. The decision was between an Evo or a WRX and after reading the reviews and talking to people, subaru looked like the better choice. I finally found an 03 Wrx looked at it the first day, and test drove it and bought it the next day. Trunk space and AWD, more HP stock and turbo, and all the bells and whistles inside it was a no brainer. I have seen 1 or 2 sti total in my city, and didnt have the money for one. I am not a huge racer so wrx is fine for me. I guess it was really no comparison for me, and i love the decision I made and wont look back. Car insurance was actually pretty close when i switched. the car ins companies have a thing for 4 doors. any move away from a 2 door, despite the power differences seems to impress them. Also, more safety features will help lower the insurance as well...my monthly rate went up maybe 10 dollars at the most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast