Goodbye DSM hello WRX? (honest opinions please) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Goodbye DSM hello WRX? (honest opinions please) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i've owned a few dsm's, you wont regret switching to a wrx for one second. a stock 02 wrx is ...

i've owned a few dsm's, you wont regret switching to a wrx for one second.

a stock 02 wrx is capable of mid 14's, stage 2 can put you mid/high 13's

you cant launch an awd car (even the gsx) the same way you do your gst, it will be end of clutch dumps for you... but you wont miss them when you're accelerating from a dig hard enough to throw everything in your car that's not bolted down into the back seat

if you can afford the upgrade, do it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR6 View Post
    My Eclipse only runs mid 14s with a TON of mods and time. I looked and looked and looked for a low mileage manual GST, couldn't find one and broke down and bought the auto. Talk about kicking yourself in the !@# later. For the price of the sti I might as well look for an evo8 It's unfortunate to hear of these tranny problems, and I know how I am so I'll definitely end up breaking it if it's fragile. I have Murphy's law down when it comes to these things, I think I've replaced almost everything on the Eclipse at this point.
    If you know how to drive you wont have any bad tranny problems...Most of the problems come from people abusing the car. I run my car hard sometimes (02 wrx), but i take care when changing gear and dont slam it in, and I NEVER launch it. There are problems with getting it into first and reverse though (doesnt go in on the first try sometimes), but its more of an annoyance than a real problem.
    Wheel Painting Guide
    Bugeye Mafia Mbr #86 Takin it to da matresses.....

Kennett Fire Company No. 1 Station 24

My father told me that the WRX is pretty high up there on the highest cost while insuring a cars...that probably only applies to the newer ones I guess. The EvoMR was very plain interior wise...dull, reminded me of an older Saturn or something. The seats are really comfortable, but not for long drives. My WRX on the other hand has been great to me over long car rides that spanned many hours. Good suspension so you dont feel as many bumps, the seats are really comfortable and the interior has much more of a sporty appearance in my opinion. The comparison of handling between the AWD feature and a FWD or RWD layout is the difference between chocolate and crap. It has great options and feels like more of a mature car to me. I know you werent planning on getting an Evo, but if you liked that you will love the WRX. Its a great car and is incredibly versatile throughout all types of road and weather conditions that I have experienced. It has the best of both worlds, whether you want to just cruise or if you want to get. A bit pricey, but quality always is and the Impreza models give you the best bang for your buck. Take one for a test drive and if you decide to do the switch you wont end up regretting it. Thats my take on the matter.

I wouldn't think I would regret the switch, my fear now is this transmission thing. As much as I would like to there's just no way I can swing an STi, if I could it would be a high mileage one and the reason I'm getting away from my Eclipse is I'm sick of the constant little things that go wrong with it. Which is exactly what you're going to get into with an sti with any kind of miles. Are the 03 trannies any better than 02? How common of a problem is this? You can bet your bottom dollar this car is going to get launched hard from time to time, it's the streetbike nature in me I want the same feeling from a car lol. And slick rick, I can't clutch dump my car because it's an auto lol. But I can brake boost off the line and that's almost, if not more, fun. Nothing like leaving the line under 10-15 psi

transmission problems with the 02 wrx are about as serious as crank walk concerns with the 2nd gen eclipse's. chances of having no problems are greatly in your favor if you take care of the car.

as far as insurance, my insurance actually dropped allot going from a 99 integra gsr to an 02 wrx

Ahhhhhhhhh so it's one of THOSE type of things lol. Well that puts my mind a little more at ease, I'm not real concerned with the insurance as I won't have to pay insurance on the truck anymore so I'm sure that will cover the difference. Plus I'm selling the bike for a dedicated track bike so I won't have insurance on that anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR6 View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhh so it's one of THOSE type of things lol. Well that puts my mind a little more at ease, I'm not real concerned with the insurance as I won't have to pay insurance on the truck anymore so I'm sure that will cover the difference. Plus I'm selling the bike for a dedicated track bike so I won't have insurance on that anymore either.
    exactly

take a trip and test drive a few when you get some days off
    hope it all goes well for you

Registered User SixDaysToSunday's Avatar
    All I can say is this..

WRX > DSM

My buddies and I have owned three Talons; One track car, One drag car, and one daily driver.

Every single one won't run. The track and drag have been abused but the dd? DSM just wasn't thinking when they made the Eclipse, Talon, and Laser. Actually the majority of those cars I see are being parted out now.. sad really.

Anyway, point is, go with the WRX and never look back. I guarantee you won't be let down.
    2010 WRX: "Archer"
    #2127 of the Stinkeye Mob
    Honorary Member of the Hawkeye Alliance
    Give it up for the boys in Blue, USAF; 3H071
    Jack T, also known as BOOSTPUNK on Buffaloscooby

Quote Originally Posted by SixDaysToSunday View Post
    All I can say is this..

WRX > DSM

go with the WRX and never look back. I guarantee you won't be let down.
    + 1
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.