New Guy, with question.

This is a discussion on New Guy, with question. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; OK so I just picked up my '02 WRX. Its my first subby, first turbo car, and first AWD car, ...

New Guy, with question.

OK so I just picked up my '02 WRX. Its my first subby, first turbo car, and first AWD car, so although im pretty well versed in cars in general, i always stayed more on the domestic side. I'm definatly loving the car, its a great DD and i cant wait for a little bit of snow to play in. I fot the additional 3/36 waranty on the car, so it wont be getting any mods till thats over, thanks to all the tranny horror stories ive heard about these cars.

I've been reading around on the site for the last few days, and one question keeps comming back to me in regards to the u/d pipes.

So these pipes have our cats in them, and everyone keeps saying to dump the cat'd pipes for straight pipes. Isnt this going to cause the car to fail emissions testing? (yes i unfortunatly live in a state that does test them), or is there another cat somewhere after the downpipe that I dont know about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

PA emissions doesnt use a sniffer anymore. they check to make sure there is no code being thrown in the computer for a missing cat, and they are supposed to look to see if there is one on the exhaust system.
    Wheel Painting Guide
    Bugeye Mafia Mbr #86 Takin it to da matresses.....

Kennett Fire Company No. 1 Station 24

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

Your 02 came stock with 3 cats.

Many people recommend going with the a catless UP or gut the OE one (this is obviously cheaper and will appear to be stock upon any brief visual inspection). Do some searching and you will find this discussed at great length in many threads.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF4E View Post
    PA emissions doesnt use a sniffer anymore. they check to make sure there is no code being thrown in the computer for a missing cat, and they are supposed to look to see if there is one on the exhaust system.
    Good to know, thanks. Ive only lived here for 2 years now, and never had a modded car, so I wasnt really sure.

I Support ClubWRX
    Greetings and welcome Jared!

As stated above there is no longer a sniffer, just the ODBCII in PA now. Whatever you decide, you will need to go to a shop that is willing to "work with you" and your exhaust.

Some form of engine management is very helpful as well. The Cobb AccessPORT is a very popular EM uint.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Some form of engine management is very helpful as well. The Cobb AccessPORT is a very popular EM uint.
    +1
    I passed NY emissions at the stealership with Cobb AP @ Stage 2 w/UP.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Greetings and welcome Jared!

As stated above there is no longer a sniffer, just the ODBCII in PA now. Whatever you decide, you will need to go to a shop that is willing to "work with you" and your exhaust.

yeah I've noticed from reading posts on here that the AP seems to be the way to go, despite the price tag.

Being that ure from the same area, do you think one could get away with getting rid of the upipe and dpipe cats, and leave the midpipe cat for inspection? After all, that would leave one just incase they do a visual check. I doubt the people doing the inspection are really gonna go looking for a cat on the upipe and dpipe.

Not that any of this matters now, no mods in the near future other than suspension for me, but its good knowledge to have for when i dont hafta worry about waranty work anymore.
    Last edited by JaredRS; 11-18-2006 at 07:16 PM.