Easy HP?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Easy HP? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone..kinda new to the whole WRX scene i recently traded my truck in for something a little bit more ...

Easy HP?

Hey everyone..kinda new to the whole WRX scene i recently traded my truck in for something a little bit more fun, just trying to figure out how to get the most HP for the $ as of right now i put a 3in Downpipe w/ a full greddy exhaust no cats (had to get the most HP out of the deal) now i was thinking next step obviously an intake, and was considering an MSD ignition or something along those lines...any suggestions? let me know, and thank you~

Wayne

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hipnotik978 View Post
    Hey everyone..kinda new to the whole WRX scene i recently traded my truck in for something a little bit more fun, just trying to figure out how to get the most HP for the $ as of right now i put a 3in Downpipe w/ a full greddy exhaust no cats (had to get the most HP out of the deal) now i was thinking next step obviously an intake, and was considering an MSD ignition or something along those lines...any suggestions? let me know, and thank you~

Wayne
    ummm leave the intake alone and get a cobb ap and do the stage 2 flash.

listen to Maccgyver. intakes and bov's are BAD for subbies. the intake only does good when you have a front mount, or very high boost. either way, it needs to be protuned into the equation. the bov is just for show and offers no performance gain. i had one on because i liked the sound, but i recently took it off because my car was running so choppy. now she runs smooth as silk.

engine mgmt should def be the next step for you. the reflash should net you about 30-40whp with your turbo back. it would be the best power bang for the buck at your stage of the game.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

"Understeer is when you´re scared...
    Oversteer is when your passengers are scared"

they pretty much got it all covered... go w/ a catless up pipe and stage 2 flash... if you must do an intake go w/ spt or cobb

so... Welcome to the club
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

hey and good decision to go with the rex. As they suggested i would suggest getting some sort of engine management ie a utec or accessport. From there you can go to a catless uppipe if you dont already have one, im not sure what year you have...
    There are also a few free mods you can do if you search for them. Try scoobymods.com for some ideas.
    one that is very good is porting you exhaust manifold, however it does take time.
    As stated above stay away from the BOV and intake traps tho. haha

Cobb Accessport, you jumped in at the right time, the AP version 2.0 is coming out, so I am sure within the next few months you are going to see a ton of Version 1.0s going for pretty cheap. If you bought a TBE then you probably spent 500-1000 for about 5-10hp, becuase your stock ECU cant give you anymore than that with the parameters set inside of it. All you need to do is plug in the AP and you are going to just about 40hp Fooo shizzzle!!!! Intakes need to be tuned to work right, and you can do some do it yourself mods to the airbox to make it work a little better for you.

MSD is a American naturally aspirated car thing, bang for buck I really dont see it helping you out, or have I heard anybody use one one on a subie.

Welcome to the club, and I did the same thing as you, left a 2000 Ford Ranger, for a life in turbo AWD, and never looking back!!!
    Last edited by afbluesv1k; 11-14-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    MSD boxes are for cars with distributor ignitions. Distributorless ignitions are controlled and tuned through the ECU.

Those with real intake experience please speak up. Others, please don't hand out any more misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Those with real intake experience please speak up. Others, please don't hand out any more misinformation.
    just because i didn't mention the cobb, k&n, or spt, does not make everything i said misinformation. he asked what should he do for easy hp. intakes are a complete waste of money if you are going bang for the buck for power. i personally would love an intake, if it would be worth the money for the gain. i like the sound an intake adds, but it just does not make sense to spend money on it when there are so many things that WILL make a big difference.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rex.effect View Post
    just because i didn't mention the cobb, k&n, or spt, does not make everything i said misinformation. he asked what should he do for easy hp. intakes are a complete waste of money if you are going bang for the buck for power. i personally would love an intake, if it would be worth the money for the gain. i like the sound an intake adds, but it just does not make sense to spend money on it when there are so many things that WILL make a big difference.
    +2 just not worth it when you see the gains/power. Not to mention I recall reading more then one post of the SPT unit causing idle issues and what not.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rex.effect View Post
    I didn't mention your name. Apparantly you feel you were providing misinformation. You made a blanket statement that they are bad.

He said he was considering an intake, so I responded.

What type of intake did you remove from your car to smooth it out?

Since we're talking about "bang for the buck", any type of intake is DEFINITELY not one of those!

I suggest scratching out the intake off your list and consider getting an engine management such as AccessPORT and get a custom tune for it and call it a day. An EM already in the picture, a turbo upgrade is the next step up, but it can be costly depending on your budget.
    Last edited by Me&05WRX; 11-14-2006 at 03:23 PM.
    I might be back in the market for the new STI sedan!

I didn't mention your name. Apparantly you feel you were providing misinformation. You made a blanket statement that they are bad.

He said he was considering an intake, so I responded.

What type of intake did you remove from your car to smooth it out?
    i have never put an intake on this car, so i have no personal experience, that is why i felt it was directed at me. the blanket statement was intentional to the end that an intake was not easy horsepower. i was talking about the other "no-no" (my 50/50 bov) when i was discussing the choppy power delivery. once it was gone, the car instantly smoother.
    -Taz
    Blobeye Syndicate #77

I have experience with the search button?...

Welcome to the forum, use the search button and review stickies---one of them covers good first mods. Ap is a good suggestion, also what year is your wrx, you could look to go with a catless uppipe if you are pre-'06.
    '06 wrx wr-blue

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by speedDman1 View Post
    I have experience with the search button?...
    The search button is damn near worthless any more because of the misinformation spewed on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by afbluesv1k View Post
    If you bought a TBE then you probably spent 500-1000 for about 5-10hp, becuase your stock ECU cant give you anymore than that with the parameters set inside of it.
    This is wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast